Running Windows Program on MAC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Like previously stated if your running programs that don't require a lot of processing power then an emulator might be for you however if I was running something like Photoshop (mentioned above) I would go with the bootcamp install.....

Last edited:

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    . I'm told that Parallels is the best thing to use if your Windows programs accesses the net (i.e., Steam for games, etc.); otherwise, you're leaving yourself open for viruses, etc. Again, I have NO clue; that's just what I'm told.

Yep, whenever you run Windoz software you should be wary of malware affecting that sw and keep up with the appropriate updates (anti-malware and win updates)

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    If you have a newer mac with the intel processor, you can activate bootcamp and install windows xp, vista or 7 om a partition. Then you can boot up to windows and use it for your pc needs. Works very well, and more stable than any pc's I've used. For older macs, wine is your best chance and that isn't guaranteed. Never used it so cant help you anymore there.

Ps, you gotta ger your own windows copy to install in bootcamp.

This is the most stable option

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Like previously stated if your running programs that don't require a lot of processing power then an emulator might be for you however if I was running something like Photoshop (mentioned above) I would go with the bootcamp install.....

With VMWare, you can allocate however much memory you need to run your windows OS. IMO, Bootcamp is not even an option. VMWare or Parallels is the way to go. I prefer VMWare over Parallels simply because most IT shops use VMWare. BTW...I run Photoshop CS2 on windows with only 512mb of ram allocated with VMWare Fusion.

Last edited:

Bmguidry

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I agree with most of these guys just went through this problem about a week ago. Tried bootcamp had problems deleted the partition and started over with parallels. I'm running solidworks and it works fine.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Negative, LSP, bad information there bubba. Parallels is an "emulator" and doesn't run at full song. You want bootcamp, so you can boot into Windows as I mentioned countless times before.

Just print out the installation guide and follow the directions...you know, like inserting the damned disk when it prompts for it! When you are finished installing windows, guess what? You'll be prompted to insert the Mac Installation Disk again! That's where the windows drivers are located, so follow the directions unless you are smarter than the guys who designed the software.

You need a legitimate copy of Windows that can be activated as you would on any other computer.

Computers are designed to weed out the impatient and easily defeated feeble minded nimrods. How's it going so far? :chuckles:

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Negative, LSP, bad information there bubba. Parallels is an "emulator" and doesn't run at full song. You want bootcamp, so you can boot into Windows as I mentioned countless times before.

Just print out the installation guide and follow the directions...you know, like inserting the damned disk when it prompts for it! When you are finished installing windows, guess what? You'll be prompted to insert the Mac Installation Disk again! That's where the windows drivers are located, so follow the directions unless you are smarter than the guys who designed the software.

You need a legitimate copy of Windows that can be activated as you would on any other computer.

Computers are designed to weed out the impatient and easily defeated feeble minded nimrods. How's it going so far? :chuckles:

^^^This is bad information IMO!^^^

Why would anyone want to partition their Mac hard drive with an OS like windows. That is just bad. IMO, if you are doing this, you should have bought a PC to begin with. VMWare is..."Duh...WINNING"!!!

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I agree with most of these guys just went through this problem about a week ago. Tried bootcamp had problems deleted the partition and started over with parallels. I'm running solidworks and it works fine.

Thanks for that tip. I've gotten calls from some Architects who use me as "HALP!" support when their guys are stumped. They've been bugging me about Autodesk products on a Mac, and while some are being developed, it's still far off imo. I've heard good about parallels and had a couple Mac IT geek friends tell me they use it for some of their engineering software at work so I usually pass that advice along and I never heard from them again. I figure it was either really really bad advice or sufficient advice, lol.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    BootCamp vs. Parrells.....

9mm vs .45 for geeks....LOL

Thanks guys. I am getting no joy on the bootcamp attempts. Seesm like it will not even get done with the partitioning phase. WIll give Paralles a try. FWIW, I will not be using it often. Just some smaller purchased software for little things once in a blue moon.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I put Parallels on my wife's MacBook to run proprietary business software. It works fine, except that it always thinks that Windows was shut down improperly-- I guess maybe it was!

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    But with parallels, i will not have to reboot right?

Do I jusy open parallels and then open whatever program I am trying to run in/with parallels?

That is correct. Just open Parallels, and you are looking at Windows screen. Do whatever with your Windows program, then close it all out.

Next time I open it up, I get a message saying that Windows was not shut down properly--but you just continue and it's no issue. It seems like when I close Parallels, it's like a hard shut off of an actual PC. But your Mac is running the whole time, so you don't have to reboot or anything.

Maybe there's a way to prevent this, but it's not enough of a bother to spend any time on it.

Bmguidry

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    NO rebooting necessary with parallels it's just opens a window with windows desktop in it or u can make it full screen

Honest Lou all you have to do to fix the shut down improperly is shut windows down like normal in the start menu let it shut down then close parallels

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    With VMWare, you can allocate however much memory you need to run your windows OS. IMO, Bootcamp is not even an option. VMWare or Parallels is the way to go. I prefer VMWare over Parallels simply because most IT shops use VMWare. BTW...I run Photoshop CS2 on windows with only 512mb of ram allocated with VMWare Fusion.

You are a lot more patient than I am either that or a great multi-tasker..... I can't stand waiting 6+ sec waiting on Aperature 3 to open and it has 4 gb of ddr3 at its beck n call. If I was running that Macbok with the new sandybridge processor I would be sporting a SSD and flying threw ****. In the words of Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast!"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom