Sherburne rifle range...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    that b.s. could've been built in a day. what the hell's the point of a (however the hell high) berm and baffles on a 100 yard range? still has the same ragady ass cinder block "resting" benches i see. nice and comfy on the elbow. guess i'll have to invest in some high tech ear muff's now. the state couldn't keep wlf offices in rural areas afloat, but they can take months to build baffles?

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Those pictures are disappointing to see. Have you guys been posting to the LDWF regular facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/ldwffb) or another one? looks like they may have deleted the comments about it. If enough of use complain maybe they will tear it down. But then again, maybe they don't care....

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    image.jpgMine are still there. It is the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries page. I think you have the wrong one.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Went middle of last week. It is ruined for anything except sighting in your rifle now. I guess I will be making the extra mileage to Honey Island from now on. After I finished sighting the M4 at 100 yds and the new AR pistol at 25 yds, I stepped around the right end and let a mag loose from the pistol to make sure there were no FTE or FTF issues (there were none). Only one other person was there and he didn't say anything, but I probably would not do it on a weekend.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I understand the issue that they were trying to solve, but I don't understand why they didn't think of the other issues that they will cause with this. for some reason having the "open" range before made me feel safe when changing targets and such, now I think someone could literally get into "tunnel vision" on a cold session and may not even see other people that may be checking targets and such out on the range.

I agree, they are trying to reduce the number of shots fired in general...not just the number of projectiles going OVER the already existing GIANT levee as a backstop.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I was out there Saturday a week ago when the lil range keeper (Brass Troll) can zipping in so I ask him why the boards?
    He stated it was for Lilability reasons, So I ask him What about the other state funded ranges that don't have the boards? He said well they could pull the bottom board to make it better.
    Fine I tell him, Why don't you just put the boards on top of the berm ?
    He said people would shoot over the boards?
    So I ask him to where? Nothing but trees for the next 5 miles.
    Then he side stepped the question and mumbled something about a worker was behind the Berms one day and someone shot over it.
    He would do better working at McDonalds

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I sent this e-mail on Sept. 2nd to a dude named Daniel Hurdle, who is over the range there.....the place sucks for sure now.....

Good evening and to whom it may concern, Mr. or Ms. Hurdle I’m presuming. This morning I drove to the Sherburne range to check out the new rifle range set up. First impression was *what are those baffles for??* and I’m guessing it was designed to prevent shooters from putting rounds over the berm. I totally understand that that is a major safety concern and support means to prevent that from happening. BUT why that set up? Those baffles are low and make the shooter stoop down and go underneath them in order to go down range to set up targets or move them. This could be a problem for some folks who may have back issues or knee issues or something along those lines. What bothers me more than anything is the loudness there now. You if you value your hearing should put on hearing protection BEFORE you exit your vehicle. That’s the first thing I noticed when myself and my shooting partner got there this morning. LOUD LOUD LOUD, and my hearing isn’t the best to start off with. Those baffles seem to echo inside of the shooting area-the report is bounced back toward the shooter. I work in a plant where we monitor for hearing protection and I would guess that this area could fall into a double hearing protection area now. Have you done a sound exposure study there and measured the decibels?? You might want to consult OSHA guidelines on this.

I saw an photo of another range that did something a little differently to accomplish the same result. Please see below:

PIC DID NOT COME THRU HERE BUT WAS THE PICTURE ON AN EARLIER POST WHERE THERE WAS THE WOODEN WALL ABOUT 20YDS IN FRONT OF THE SHOOTING STATIONS...

This set up would allow the shooter to go under the blocking boards and get to the target without stooping. Also, although I cannot positively say this, I think it would not be nearly as loud as the arrangement presently at the site.

I am involved with a couple of shooting forums and everyone that I have spoken to says the same thing—the baffles have created a very loud area and could pose a problem for people having to stoop over...Please consider doing something else and please get a noise study done if you haven’t already.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    The easiest one is right there in front of the rifle range just to the left of the gate. There's one across from the boat ramp and one as you're coming in on the dirt road with a sign that says self-clearing permit or station on the left if you're coming in from 190

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom