Shooting in Florida theatre over texting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    lol at legally required to tell morons on the street that you have a gun.

incoming metal detectors at all major cinemas. the theater is somewhere I -never- go without a firearm, because its the only place that inevitably results in me walking a long ways through a public parking lot late at night.

captain is an idiot, but the saying goes "dont pick fights with old men, they are too smart to trade blows. they'll just shoot ya"

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I'll get in front of this right now: The old retired cop messed up big time and he will more than likely get convicted.

I do not condone his actions nor will I attempt to defend what he did.

JR1572

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    captain is an idiot, but the saying goes "dont pick fights with old men, they are too smart to trade blows. they'll just shoot ya"

He said Chad Oulson told the shooter, *I was just texting my 3-year-old daughter.* Then the voices got louder, someone threw popcorn and one man shot the other, Cummings said.

Never throw popcorn at an old man......:dogkeke:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I saw that this morning. There's a movie theatre next to my complex and I'll go there maybe once or twice a month by myself if I'm super bored. Went last night to see Lone Survivor. Had my firearm with me the whole time.

I just don't understand why someone thinks it's ok to pull out a firearm and shoot someone for texting in the theatre when the movie hadn't even started. Yeah, texting is rude, but I'm sure everyone's done it at least once. But it's texting for crying out loud!

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Personally I hate when someone sits in front of me and texts during the movie, if it's that important get up and excuse yourself to the back. It's rude and inconsiderate to constantly text during a movie, if you must then you should sit in the last row so there is no one behind you. I mean come on it says you shouldn't do so in the opening credits, I also had a young lady start puffing on one of those e-cigarettes during the amazing spiderman, my two boys where like is she smoking, I'm like no way, well she really puffed on that thing for about 7-8 minutes and made quite a disturbance amongst others as well as me and my two boys. Some poeple

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    How is texting rude? As long as the phone is on silent, I don't see why it would bother anyone. Especially with newer phones that auto-dim in darker rooms. I seriously doubt my 4" phone screen is such a big distraction that you can't watch the 80-foot movie screen. Some people need to quit worrying about what everybody else is doing, and quit starting **** over stupid crap.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    How is texting rude? As long as the phone is on silent, I don't see why it would bother anyone. Especially with newer phones that auto-dim in darker rooms. I seriously doubt my 4" phone screen is such a big distraction that you can't watch the 80-foot movie screen. Some people need to quit worrying about what everybody else is doing, and quit starting **** over stupid crap.

Once the movie starts it is rude to those around and behind you. The light from the phone cause people to look in that direction and distract them from the film. Don't be that guy.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Once the movie starts it is rude to those around and behind you. The light from the phone cause people to look in that direction and distract them from the film. Don't be that guy.

Not saying that I am, but if the babysitter texts me asking where the extra diapers are, I'm not going to get up and walk out of the theater just to type a text message. Which is more distracting, anyway? Me typing on my phone for 20 seconds, or me getting up and walking out, requiring multiple people to stand up to let me pass both times?

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I read on one new site that the old man went and got theater employees about the texting and that is when it escalated. Something was supposedly thrown at him and maybe a swing taken. Then he shot.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Not saying that I am, but if the babysitter texts me asking where the extra diapers are, I'm not going to get up and walk out of the theater just to type a text message. Which is more distracting, anyway? Me typing on my phone for 20 seconds, or me getting up and walking out, requiring multiple people to stand up to let me pass both times?

As with everything there are exceptions. What you described above I would not bother, but someone on the phone repeatedly...I'd go get my popcorn refilled and complain to management while I'm at it.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Former police captain Curtis Reeves
    article-wesley-addon2-0113.jpg

Chad & Nicole Oulson
    24435641_BG4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics