Shooting low and to the right?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoujaeger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    baton rouge, LA
    By the end of my shooting sessions I always end up shooting low and to the right. I start out very well hitting bullseye from 15 ft to 20 yds but after a box or so I end up shooting low and to the right and it seems the more I try to correct myself the more I go all over the paper (mostly low and right). Anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong and how I can correct myself? I seem to do the same thing with both 9mm and .40, start out farelly well and then start to wander low or low and to the right.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know how many rounds you shoot in a session, but let's just say 100 to make it easy, only shoot 80! That way you stop before you start shooting bad! Lol lol

Seriously, it sounds like you're trying to fight the recoil, and to much finger on the trigger! You're getting tired and therefore shooting form and mechanics suffer resulting in poor shots

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    kz45 is right. Sounds like muscle fatigue and perhaps you are rushing the shots. I know when I am shooting well, I sometimes become too confident and begin to rush shots.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Try shooting an equal number of rounds to what you are used to (50, 100, etc) out of a full sized .22 (ruger, buckmark, etc) and see if you have the same problem. Fatigue should be less with a lighter recoiling gun.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    wheel.gif

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I agree that it sounds like fatigue making you fight the recoil. If you could watch it in slow motion, you'd probably see yourself flinching and dipping the gun low and to the right before the shot got off. Try lots of dry fire practice, build up the muscle memory of a clean trigger pull. In dry fire, you can really watch the sights and see if you pull smooth or not as there is no recoil or blast to distract you.

Also, make a dummy round or two and put them randomly in your magazine. You will see exactly what you are doing when you pull the trigger on the dummy round.

bayoujaeger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    baton rouge, LA
    Thanks. I am going to practice more and pay more attention to my grip and other other factors off that chart. I think fatigue sets in, I will look into investing in a full size .22 also.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When using a proper grip both thumbs are pointing forwards stacked on top of each other, but not touching the gun, if you put pressure on the frame or slide , it'll push the shot right

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Can someone please explain what thumbing is?

Hold your hand out like you are gripping a pistol.

Squeeze your trigger finger while watching your thumb.

If your thumb is moving with your trigger finger, this exerts pressure on the gun and is called thumbing. It usually causes shots to break down and right on a right handed shooter.

alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Dryfire dryfire dryfire. Put a case on the end ofb the slide and practice pressing not squeezing, the trigfer straight back. The more y do it, the better your memory will remembber it as the propper way. Train your finger and your memory to do this hundreds if not thousands of times. This will take away thumbing and squezzing the trigger improperly. Or just aim at a whitewall with nothing on it and press the trigger while watchimg ur front sightsvand u will be able to autocorrect your mistakes then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free

Top Bottom