Should Blind People have a right to Own Firearms?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a blind person have the right to own firearms.

• Total voters

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So, if I can't hear a horn or a siren, I shouldn't be allowed to drive?

Just a question, do you think being deaf places you and / or others at a higher degree of risks when you drive due to your inability to hear horns, screeching tires, children playing on roadside, or any other potential indicator of an approaching potential threat?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)

Tuff one to answer and you know I dont have anything against you directly my brother from another mother.

Obviously you are competent and skilled enought to overcome the lack of hearing but up to what point is it safe for others I DUNO and who gets to choose whats right and wrong I DUNO either!

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

No, not at all. That's not what I meant. But there are people who can't legally drive due to medical handicaps. I knew a young girl who couldn't get her license until she was seventeen because of ONE seizure at fifteen. And she stands to loose them again if she ever has another.

Point to that is, sometimes the risks outweigh the right. As Guate said, you can overcome it. Sometimes it just is what it is. :(

I don't like saying no because it is a 2A right, but.... :dunno:

Last edited:

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    My point is that it puts public safety in a very high risk, granted the rules and regulations would have to change and some type of minimum required test would have to come into place as well for them to take 4 being able to "own and defend themselves". They are putting their own life in danger IMO.

The above is the exact reasoning that all anti-gun advocates have. It's a slippery slope.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Just a question, do you think being deaf places you and / or others at a higher degree of risks when you drive due to your inability to hear horns, screeching tires, children playing on roadside, or any other potential indicator of an approaching potential threat?

No, I don't. Being deaf heightens my sense of awareness. I'm very observant of my surroundings. I have yet to come across a situation in my 38 years where my deafness played a dangerous role.

I have learned the hard way when pulled over by an officer to put the window down and tell them (yell if I must) that I'm deaf. The first time I was pulled over, officer didn't know I was deaf and I had no idea what I was doing. He stood in the back of my truck, between my truck and his car and kept talking. I'm thinking, "why is this idiot not coming to my window"... and I just kept staring at him in the mirror. A few minutes later, several officers approaced with firearms drawn. That's when I realized that first officer was probably yelling at me to get out, and when I didn't comply, he called for backup. So, when one of the officers approached the passenger window with his gun pointed at me, I pointed to my ear. Everyone immediately relaxed at that point and I was very apologetic to the first officer. That was the only incident, LE or otherwise, I ever had concerning my deafness.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No, I don't. Being deaf heightens my sense of awareness. I'm very observant of my surroundings. I have yet to come across a situation in my 38 years where my deafness played a dangerous role.

I have learned the hard way when pulled over by an officer to put the window down and tell them (yell if I must) that I'm deaf. The first time I was pulled over, officer didn't know I was deaf and I had no idea what I was doing. He stood in the back of my truck, between my truck and his car and kept talking. I'm thinking, "why is this idiot not coming to my window"... and I just kept staring at him in the mirror. A few minutes later, several officers approaced with firearms drawn. That's when I realized that first officer was probably yelling at me to get out, and when I didn't comply, he called for backup. So, when one of the officers approached the passenger window with his gun pointed at me, I pointed to my ear. Everyone immediately relaxed at that point and I was very apologetic to the first officer. That was the only incident, LE or otherwise, I ever had concerning my deafness.

Thanks for the candid reply. have you ever found yourself in the way of an emergency vehicle when it was trying to get through? If not, is it just that you never have had one come up on you, or is there a technique or someway that you know when they do?

I am pretty sure that they have specific license plates that identify the driver (really the owner) as deaf. years ago, I remember pulling one over and when dispatch came back, they advised that the driver may be deaf. When I looked at the plate, i realized it said something about being deaf.

FYI....i gave them a warning. ;)

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks for the candid reply. have you ever found yourself in the way of an emergency vehicle when it was trying to get through? If not, is it just that you never have had one come up on you, or is there a technique or someway that you know when they do?

I am pretty sure that they have specific license plates that identify the driver (really the owner) as deaf. years ago, I remember pulling one over and when dispatch came back, they advised that the driver may be deaf. When I looked at the plate, i realized it said something about being deaf.

FYI....i gave them a warning. ;)

There has been one, MAYBE two times when I saw cars slowing down and pulling over and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out, it was a firetruck coming into an intersection. So, since that time, when vehicles slow down for no apparent reason, I slow down and try to figure out why. Also, I always slow down at intersections if I cannot see the oncoming traffic.

I have had many, many, MANY emergency vehicles approach me from behind. The thing is, I almost always see them before others do, even if the others are behind me.

It could be the lights. Deafies are very sensitive to lights. My alarm clock is connected to a lamp.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    well...Eli was blind....
    pardon.gif

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb_9icqB1SA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHRwo48twyE[/ame]

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have no trouble with a Blind man owning a gun, proving he passes the same tests as I do for use, carry and such.

If we limit handicaps, we are not longer the nation that AMERICA stands for in my mind..

I have family member who have different handicaps, and if we start limiting true handicaps then where do we draw the line..

I even have a problem with the mental illness questions on the 4473 and the CCP..

Mental illness as a description is vague as hell.. There are MANY categories.

if we start to draw the line, then we infringe on the 2A PERIOD..

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    No, not at all. That's not what I meant. But there are people who can't legally drive due to medical handicaps. I knew a young girl who couldn't get her license until she was seventeen because of ONE seizure at fifteen. And she stands to loose them again if she ever has another.

Point to that is, sometimes the risks outweigh the right. As Guate said, you can overcome it. Sometimes it just is what it is. :(

I don't like saying no because it is a 2A right, but.... :dunno:

Cat and Guate,

The problem is that the RKBA is a right, driving is a privilege. Denying a right because of a physical infirmity is indeed a slippery slope. Look at the Americans with disabilities act to see how far the government has gone to make things accessible. some sort of physical test for firearms ownership would run way counter to that. Although it may sound a bit ridiculous to say that a blind person has a right to own a firearm, anything else would be repugnant. Although there is a greater danger to the public for a blind person to be firing a firearm, the answer is not to ban its ownership, but to apply the existing criminal and civil laws to his actions. If he is negligent or criminal, he pays the price just like his sighted brethren.

If you think that there should be some subjective test for gun ownership, I am certain that many of our sighted fellow gun owners would fail. I have been around public ranges enough to have seen many sighted individuals who would probably fail the test.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Cat and Guate,

The problem is that the RKBA is a right, driving is a privilege. Denying a right because of a physical infirmity is indeed a slippery slope. Look at the Americans with disabilities act to see how far the government has gone to make things accessible. some sort of physical test for firearms ownership would run way counter to that. Although it may sound a bit ridiculous to say that a blind person has a right to own a firearm, anything else would be repugnant. Although there is a greater danger to the public for a blind person to be firing a firearm, the answer is not to ban its ownership, but to apply the existing criminal and civil laws to his actions. If he is negligent or criminal, he pays the price just like his sighted brethren.

If you think that there should be some subjective test for gun ownership, I am certain that many of our sighted fellow gun owners would fail. I have been around public ranges enough to have seen many sighted individuals who would probably fail the test.

I agree and thats why when I answered NO i also mentioned public safety which is what I thought the post was intended, not much diferent than the 75 year old grandma that continues to drive but cant see or hear but I am not one to say she cant or should drive, its her right to do so until somebody takes her privilege away, right?.

All I said was I would like to drive next to her!

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Nice post....as usual :cool:

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Why ban them? If he's a bad guy with a gun, does it matter if he's blind. Treat him like any other threat. If he's a good guy with a gun, handling them in a safe manner, treat him like any other GG with a gun.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I've been mulling this over ever since i posted and the only reason I can give to back my argument is "but they're blind". Would I want an elderly blind relative leaving loaded guns around their house? NO!

However, there are several arguments that have been presented to counter mine. I'm still on the fence. This is a hard one. Would I like to see a blind person at the range? Absolutely! It's amazing to watch people overcome their disabilities. But hell... The only argument I have boils down to I don't like the thought of an armed blind person. I'm also well aware the constitution doesn't acknowledge personal opinion.

So I guess I'm saying that dzlenka has a much more solid argument than mine. I don't like the idea but that wasn't the question. Also owning doesn't mean necessarily shooting. And I'd be pissed as hell if I had to give up heirlooms because of a disability.

Still. I'm going on record i think it's a potential safety hazard if they use it for personal defense. :D

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    when i was much younger and worked at a pizza joint, one of the morning employees was a blind guy in his 50s. i honestly didn't know the guy was blind the first week i worked there. the guy knew his way around the place that well. he mostly folded boxes and washed dishes and such but he had an amazing sense of his surroundings for someone who couldn't see.

just because one person neglects the placement of his firearms and has a negligent discharge doesn't mean all blind people should have restrictions against them.

That might be the key. Exposure to blind people, or in this sense, non-exposure leads to many assumptions. I'd be blown away to be around someone a week and never realize they were blind.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    when i was much younger and worked at a pizza joint, one of the morning employees was a blind guy in his 50s. i honestly didn't know the guy was blind the first week i worked there. the guy knew his way around the place that well. he mostly folded boxes and washed dishes and such but he had an amazing sense of his surroundings for someone who couldn't see.

just because one person neglects the placement of his firearms and has a negligent discharge doesn't mean all blind people should have restrictions against them.

Yah your right I think this is just a case of a blind irresponsible individual no different then an irresponsible individual with 20/20 vision.

Top Bottom