Should Blind People have a right to Own Firearms?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a blind person have the right to own firearms.

• Total voters

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    If you can possess a drivers license, you have indentification to present when purchasing a firearm. What form of ID is required by the ATF?

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    and still no answer to the question of why Interstate speed limit signs are not in braile too

YES blind people are included under the 2A

Maybe they can't shoot as accurately as sighted but contact dosn't need sight

When we were qualifying on the range we had a couple dam near blind guys....they gave them closer markers and adjusted windage and elevation to hit at qualifying range....600 yds

But then they were trying to get people to the beautiul country of VietNam, and I didn't personaly see their targets

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    The problem I have with a blind man having a gun is its use in self defense. If he is blind, he cannot visually identify his target and what is behind it. One of the 4 rules. For all he knows, while his aim may be dead on accurate, the most accurate shooter in the world. When he shoots that BG, if that bullet overpenetrates, there could be a 12 year old girl scout standing behind him. (Or the BG could be using her as a shield, and so long as he has her voice muffled, the blind man may never know, and shoot, and kill the girl scout)

That is my problem. As far as recreational use, I have no issues. Home defense? while overpentration is still a 'slight' issue, or he could put a round through a window and into the neighbors house, I will not say that he cannot defend himself with lethal force in his own dwelling....prefferably with a shot gun or hollow points from a pistol. (things that have either less range, or less chance of over-penetration....hollowpoints are less likely to make it through multiple walls, BBs from a shot gun are less likely to be lethal if they penetrate through a solid target than a rifle round)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The problem I have with a blind man having a gun is its use in self defense. If he is blind, he cannot visually identify his target and what is behind it. One of the 4 rules. For all he knows, while his aim may be dead on accurate, the most accurate shooter in the world. When he shoots that BG, if that bullet overpenetrates, there could be a 12 year old girl scout standing behind him. (Or the BG could be using her as a shield, and so long as he has her voice muffled, the blind man may never know, and shoot, and kill the girl scout)

That is my problem. As far as recreational use, I have no issues. Home defense? while overpentration is still a 'slight' issue, or he could put a round through a window and into the neighbors house, I will not say that he cannot defend himself with lethal force in his own dwelling....prefferably with a shot gun or hollow points from a pistol. (things that have either less range, or less chance of over-penetration....hollowpoints are less likely to make it through multiple walls, BBs from a shot gun are less likely to be lethal if they penetrate through a solid target than a rifle round)

Their solution would have to be to make physical contact before the gun could be used.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Their solution would have to be to make physical contact before the gun could be used.

in which case a knife or sword even would be every bit as effective. and making physical contact does not prevent over penetration with no idea wth is behind the target.

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA

I actually voted for the "it doesn't matter" option kinda kidding around until I read this post.

What is the difference between this and a person waking up in the middle of the night to defend his home against what he thinks is an invader. This individual decides not to turn on the lights and alert the invader to his location. In the commotion, someone comes around a corner and the individual fires (in the dark mind you) and kills the intruder. When the lights come on it is in fact realized that the "intruder" was in fact his child.

I am trying to recall this story from memory, but if I remember correctly it actually happened.

The blind individual would actually be at an advantage in this particular case. Knowing his surroundings and relying heavily on his/her sense of sound. He/she may even be in tune with his other senses enough to realize that the individual was in fact not a BG. Pretty far fetched, but I would think the blind person probably has come to recognize the sound of his/her own child walking through the halls.

Anyone could come up with any number of hypothetical situations where something bad could happen. All we can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If it's dark, or our batteries in our flashlight crap out, or any number of other what-if's happen while in the stressful situation of having to defend your life and loved ones, you too will not be able to identify that 12 year old girl scout standing behind the BG and taking an inadvertent pass-through round.

OK, I think I got my point across. I too am a little close to this situation. Like DeafDave, my parents and many of my family members are deaf. I have encountered a few instances where even ignorant LEO's have stated "I didn't know deaf people could drive." Before any of the LEO's on here get offended, I am simply using the word "ignorant" in it's true meaning which is a lack of knowlege. That was in no way a crack at officers of any department.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    The real solution is responsibility

Like all of us, we are responsible for our bullet till it is dead and buried

Same with sighted or unsighted.........it's their round

The law gives the right to keep and bear arms to people who may be sloppy drunk in their own homes....but using justifiable force is still legal, drunk or sober

Same is true for blind, justified is justified...not is not

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    in which case a knife or sword even would be every bit as effective. and making physical contact does not prevent over penetration with no idea wth is behind the target.

That's why we need an assault knife ban. Once we get that, we can go after butter knives and putty knives. They all kill.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

The person may not have the strength to use the knife. The blind can be in a situation where they are aware of what is behind their attacker (maybe in their home). They may also be able to use a weaker round since they would be at point blank range to prevent over penetration.

A blind person will have great obstacles to overcome, but they can train just as we do.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Brannon,

We have many totally ignorant morons who are illiterate but who can vote.

There are numerous lying, crooked, malignant A-holes who keep their First Amendment rights.

Most blind folks would try to act responsibly. We can't presume that they would do something dumb or dangerous.

Remember "SHALL not be infringed". It is a basic Human & Constitutional RIGHT !

Also, re-read Dan Z's excellent comments.

leVieux

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I don't have a problem with a blind person having a firearm but, when he puts it down somewhere will he be able to find it again?

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I voted "torn" due to the wording. See, without my glasses, I can't drive and can't see anything CLEARLY if it isn't 6" in front of my nose. I can make out shapes and can tell people from surrounding objects within the normal shoot out zone parameters (25 feet or less). I could tell the BG from the GG and place one in the center of mass area but I wouldn't want to try it if the 2 were side-by-side because that eats up any margin for error I might have had. Now, if I am in my house and someone breaks in and is attacking me, I would have no problem reducing him to room temp. I would like to be able to keep my gun knowing that I have a greater responsibility to know when to/not to use it.

Were I completely blind to where I couldn't make out shapes etc. then I would still be Abie to shoot the person right next to/in front of me possibly but that is a SUPER slim chance and there is no way I could be sure of my backstop. In this case I would think you would only be able to "get a good shot" by placing the muzzle up against the BG guy before pulling the trigger!

Obviously, there ARE cases where a firearm could be used by blind people to defend themselves. The issue is that those cases are very limited in scope and you would have top depend on the blind person to have the courage and nerves to limit themselves to only "taking the good shot" rather than blasting about... well... blindly.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    So far 64% vote yes without restriction. Yet how many are for CHLs in that same group I wonder?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I vote no, because it's just stupid. I'm all for defending our rights, but I'm an even bigger fan of common sense. Simply put, you need to see to aim a gun safely. A blind person has a right to own a gun, but I also have a right to not have a blind person shoot me in the face because he CAN'T SEE WHAT HE'S AIMING AT.

As for the "he could use it at contact distance" that's just retarded. He would still have no way of identifying his target, which is the basis of safe gun ownership.

Honestly, if I went blind tomorrow I would never touch another firearm again. It contradicts everything a safe gun owner believes in.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    They should have the right to own them. Not all people who are legally blind are incapable of seeing a short distance. Some are capable of defending themselves with a gun.

From another angle, what if there were firearms passed down to them from their family members? Should the gov't have the power to force them into liquidating a family heirloom? I don't believe so.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I vote no, because it's just stupid. I'm all for defending our rights, but I'm an even bigger fan of common sense. Simply put, you need to see to aim a gun safely. A blind person has a right to own a gun, but I also have a right to not have a blind person shoot me in the face because he CAN'T SEE WHAT HE'S AIMING AT.

As for the "he could use it at contact distance" that's just retarded. He would still have no way of identifying his target, which is the basis of safe gun ownership.

Honestly, if I went blind tomorrow I would never touch another firearm again. It contradicts everything a safe gun owner believes in.

Thank you for saying what I was too lazy to type.

I also think that people over the age of 80 should take yearly sight and reaction tests to maintain their drivers license. Once you become an obvious danger to others, it's time to let someone else do the driving. I support the 2A, but I don't support stupid - and that's what letting a 100% blind man is doing.

If you feel differently about the debate, we can do an experiment. I'll stand in a room full of people with a blindfold on. 10 yards away will be a boom box with the sound of someone talking. I'll start firing where I THINK the sound is coming from. Hopefully no one would die, but that wouldn't be entertaining at all.

Common sense, I learned it at a young age.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Why do so many people assume blind people are careless and stupid?

There is no reason a blind person shouldn't be able to own a firearm, and making up crazy what if claims does not make your case against 2A.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom