Sig Mosquito vs. S&W M&P22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    With the availability of .22 ammo becoming a little more accessible I have been wanting to get back into the .22 market. 2 units have caught my eye and feel great in my small hands. Those are the Sig Mosquito and the M&P22.
    Have heard of reliability issues with the Sig but nothing bad about the M&P.
    Looking for advice and any experience with either of these two .22's
    Thanks

Sasquatch26

Squatch
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Geismar
    I have the mosquito, great gun! Now reliability issues I will say you will think is an issue if you don't do 2 things:make sure to clean and oil it after every 2-3 times you shoot and make sure to use quality ammo (federal, cci). If you do those 2 things, you won't have any issues. It took me a little while after buying it and debating on selling it to learn this. If you do those 2 things, you will have zero issues and a very fun and smooth gun to shoot.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    I have a mosquito also, has to be clean and CCI mini mags only. remington, winchester, federal bulk, you might get at least 2 hangups per magazine. this is my experience with the Mosquito I have, YMMV

Sasquatch26

Squatch
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Geismar
    103M 95G, sounds like we both have the same experience! I have found the federal white box bulk will work! I'd prefer mini mags also when able to find! It actually use to be my truck gun when I was able to find mini mags frequently.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    I'm going to throw in a flyer, the Buckmark Camper is one heck of a plinker. No experience with the other two, just thought I'd muddy the water a bit.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the input guys. Leaning toward the M&P at this point if for no other reason than reliability with other than mini mags. When I can Mini mags are all I shoot but can't always find them and I have some others such as remington golden bullets I'd like to shoot up. As for keeping the mosquito clean that really isn't an issue for me as I almost always follow up a shooting session with a thorough cleaning the same day. If for no other reason than that's what I have always done. If mini mags were routinely available I could go either way as I like the look and feel of the mosquito a tad better than the M&P but not enough to swing me in that direction. Thanks again for the advice. Academy has them both on sale through tomorrow so I guess I'll go pick one up.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Thanks for the input guys. Leaning toward the M&P at this point if for no other reason than reliability with other than mini mags. When I can Mini mags are all I shoot but can't always find them and I have some others such as remington golden bullets I'd like to shoot up. As for keeping the mosquito clean that really isn't an issue for me as I almost always follow up a shooting session with a thorough cleaning the same day. If for no other reason than that's what I have always done. If mini mags were routinely available I could go either way as I like the look and feel of the mosquito a tad better than the M&P but not enough to swing me in that direction. Thanks again for the advice. Academy has them both on sale through tomorrow so I guess I'll go pick one up.

I hope you love your M&P as much as I love mine. I picked up more ammo at Academy yesterday so I can go pop some rounds off with it later this week.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I looked at both as well. Mainly for my 12 yoa daughter to shoot. After research I went with the M&P. The size of the Sig is better, but I did not want the hassle of looking for certain types of ammo and feeding issues. The Smith has about 300 assorted rounds through it. No cleaning. No issues.

Now it is a cheaply made gun. If you are a M&P guy and want a trainer it would be great b/c it is full size. Had I to do it over again I agree with the Buckmark camper. That with the intention of being a gun for the kids. I let my striker fired bias get the best of me on the purchase.

300BLK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    If you have a full size Sig, the Sig 22 lr conversion kits are great. Haven't shot one but I've heard that the M&P is a sweet little 22 and not too picky on ammo. Good luck!

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    my mosquito was the biggest POS i've ever owned. out of those 2 i would have to go with the S&W. if anything was an option, any of the ruger .22's. they seemed to have gotten them right. my SR22 has been flawless and is great with a suppressor on it.

pixfella58

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Houma, LA
    I have the M&P and love. I've seen other folks at the local range with Mosquito that would jam with every magazine. My M&P has shot whatever I fed it with no issues. YMMV...

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Have a buddy with a Sig and it is a little picky when it comes to ammo. Also when we are running his Sig and my S&W suppressed side-by-side, the S&W action is definitely quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Just picked up my M&P22 Compact today. Anxious to get out and shoot it. Came with 2 magazines. Feels great and I sure like the captured recoil spring improvement. Also you don't have to pull the takedown pin out anymore to field strip the unit. Just flip it down with the slide locked back. Don't much care for the safety but I can deal with it. Added bonus is S&W is sending a 200 round box of ammo free if you purchased an M&P 22 from August to December 2014. It's winchester brand but the gun must digest it well or they would be foolish to send it to you free of charge. Will give you a report after I receive the ammo. For now it's Mini Mags for the first couple hundred rounds at least.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Just picked up my M&P22 Compact today. Anxious to get out and shoot it. Came with 2 magazines. Feels great and I sure like the captured recoil spring improvement. Also you don't have to pull the takedown pin out anymore to field strip the unit. Just flip it down with the slide locked back. Don't much care for the safety but I can deal with it. Added bonus is S&W is sending a 200 round box of ammo free if you purchased an M&P 22 from August to December 2014. It's winchester brand but the gun must digest it well or they would be foolish to send it to you free of charge. Will give you a report after I receive the ammo. For now it's Mini Mags for the first couple hundred rounds at least.

Nice! I bought mine at Academy, it only came with one mag. I'm well outside the timeframe for the free ammo, but it's nice to hear they are doing that. Enjoy!

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    IMO, do yourself a solid and buy the Ruger MK III 22/45. You won't find a more reliable, accurate .22 handgun off the shelf. IMO Ruger's MK series has been leading the pack in this game for as long as I can remember. Yea it's a pain to break down until you get used to it, but not everything can be as simple as a glock.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom