So as far as past non-convictions....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Hope this helps:

Q. I was arrested but the charges were dropped, do I still need an arrest disposition?

A. Yes, all arrest or summons must be listed on your application. Furthermore, you must provide a certified true copy of the court minutes, which reflects the final disposition of the charge and submit it with your application.

(LAC 55:I:1307.7 & 8)

Q. Where do I get a copy of my arrest disposition?

A. The records may be obtained from the Clerk of Court or District Attorney of the parish in which the arrest or prosecution occurred. If you were charged with a violation of a municipal ordinance, the disposition may be obtained from the City Clerk of Court or City Prosecutor.

:)

Last edited:

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Well ****, I guess I'll have to go to about 15 different Parishes/cities/counties/municipalities.... screw it, I'll just take my chances of ever being made out.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wouldn't play around with them. When you send the app. in and sign the deal below they could burn your ass.

I, _________________________, having been duly sworn, depose and say that I have read the foregoing
    application, and the contents thereof, and do hereby certify that my responses and information contained within
    this application are true and correct and they are an accurate account of the requested information. In addition, I
    have also read, understand, and agree to comply with the statutes contained in R.S. 40:1379.3 and 1382, and the
    corresponding administrative regulations contained in LAC 55:I:1301 et seq. I have executed this statement
    voluntarily with the knowledge that any failure to provide truthful information is cause for denial of my
    application or revocation of a permit, and that the making of any false statement or response in this application is a
    violation of R.S. 14:133, Filing False Public Records, a criminal offense punishable by imprisonment for not more
    than five (5) years with or without hard labor or a fine not to exceed five thousand dollars, or both.

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    You don't have to actually, physically, go to all those parishes. Call them up or write them letters. I'd call first, see if there are any fees involved, then write a letter with a money order for the proper amount. It's a pain in the ass and takes some time, but you can have it all ironed out in a couple of weeks.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    So how do you handle it if the record is sealed and a copy of the arrest disposition is unobtainable?
    if it concerns you, it can't be sealed from you. There may be certain information that won't be released, such as names of minors etc., those items will be marked out on the copy that you receive but the remaining info will be sufficient. If they still deny you a copy I would request a listing of those arrests on letterhead and a statement that the disposition can not be released and turn that in in lieu of the actual disposition - at worst they can't deny you for not telling them.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    From the dead
    Looking at this, I have a question. Say you were arrested and charged, but the charges were thrown out before ever appearing in court. How would you get a court disposition and minutes for that?
    Also, what can actually cause a ccw application to be denied?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    From the dead
    Looking at this, I have a question. Say you were arrested and charged, but the charges were thrown out before ever appearing in court. How would you get a court disposition and minutes for that?
    Also, what can actually cause a ccw application to be denied?

if it concerns you, it can't be sealed from you. There may be certain information that won't be released, such as names of minors etc., those items will be marked out on the copy that you receive but the remaining info will be sufficient. If they still deny you a copy I would request a listing of those arrests on letterhead and a statement that the disposition can not be released and turn that in in lieu of the actual disposition - at worst they can't deny you for not telling them.

yes, things with your name can be withheld. Juvenile records most noteably. Not saying there is "no way" to get them, but generally they are not released, even to you.

However, if that is the case, or if they cannot find the file, or it burnt up, or whatever, all you need is some form of documentation from them stating that. this has been posed to LSP several times and I have always gotten the same response and it has worked out thus far for all my students.

Edman, read the statute and it tells you exactly what would cause you to be denied, or go to the actual website and educate yourself with the facts.

www.lsp.org

40:1379.1. Special officers; powers and duties; concealed handgun permit

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Is it true that if the state police run you thru ncic when stopped carrying a handgun, and you come back all clear you would qualify for a CHP? I think the police term would be running someone 6x6?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Is it true that if the state police run you thru ncic when stopped carrying a handgun, and you come back all clear you would qualify for a CHP? I think the police term would be running someone 6x6?

First off, all LEO have access to NCIC (national Crime Information Center). The basic answer is normally so, from a criminal perspective. However, there is a chance that you were arrested for something in another state that is not reflected in NCIC or is reflected as a misdemeanor there that would be a felony here or vice versa.

Furthermore, the fact that you were carrying a handgun has nothing to do with it.

Say you are pulled over for speeding. Generally, the LEO will run your plate to see if the car is stolen. Depending on policy and officer discretion, he will run your DL or Name/sex/race/dob to check for warrants. That will normally be done through local databases. There are several databases in the state such as MOTIONS (NOLA) ARMMS(JP, ORLEANS, ETC), and a few others. Again, this is local arrest information. Depending on the circumstances, an arrest by NOPD in NOLA may or may not show on an ARMMS check in Metairie...normally not.

NCIC is generally used either as a matter of policy, or for further investigation into someone's criminal history. if I stop you for speeding, and you have California plates with a Nebraska ID, and you are acting shady, i will generally run you through NCIC.

GUNS and stuff are run through NCIC to check for stolen.

SO, for the most part, if you have a clearNCIC, you are good to go, unless you are crazy, a drug head, alcoholic, beat your wife, or have a restraining order. Just saying.

firefighter9158

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Gonzales

NO it is NOT true, if I'm run through ncic I will come back All clear(No Wants or Warrents) However I DO NOT qualify for a CHP, due to one past arrest. ( I think what he means by "coming back All Clear" is that it (ncic) shows he has No criminal record). There is a difference.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Well ****, I guess I'll have to go to about 15 different Parishes/cities/counties/municipalities.... screw it, I'll just take my chances of ever being made out.

Oh, come on, Man! That gives the rest of us CCW holders a bad name!

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    NO it is NOT true, if I'm run through ncic I will come back All clear(No Wants or Warrents) However I DO NOT qualify for a CHP, due to one past arrest. ( I think what he means by "coming back All Clear" is that it (ncic) shows he has No criminal record). There is a difference.

But when you send in ur chp app, i thought all they did was ran you ncic and if it comes back clean you are approved, barring no claims in the past convictions area that you filled out yourself.
    I could definately be wrong, but it was my belief that if u can legally posess a handgun in louisiana and you take a course, you can get a CHP as it is a shall grant state, no?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    But when you send in ur chp app, i thought all they did was ran you ncic and if it comes back clean you are approved, barring no claims in the past convictions area that you filled out yourself.
    I could definately be wrong, but it was my belief that if u can legally posess a handgun in louisiana and you take a course, you can get a CHP as it is a shall grant state, no?

You are wrong. Firefighter is a convicted drug felon yet according to him all time and requirements have been met, so he can have a gun.

NCIC does two main things...gives your history and advises of any active wants.

"Clean" generally means no arrest record as in you have never been arrested.

However, there are issues other than arrest record that would prevent you from getting a CHP.

Shall grant simply means you do not have to justify a need. if you meet the requirements, it is automatic.

Last edited:

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I get that there are other reasons such as mental illness etc, but i mean as far as criminal background how is it checked before issuing a CHP?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I get that there are other reasons such as mental illness etc, but i mean as far as criminal background how is it checked before issuing a CHP?

NCIC and local databases, unless you have lived in another state then a request is sent to the FBI for a more thorough search, and I have no idea what that means.

Top Bottom