So. I'm an awful shot.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    And I have sure noticed that lately. And I'm going to admit it! At least with a handgun. Or, at least with a semi automatic.

The time before last when I went to the range my best friend had a G17. I had a 5" M&P9. I was grouping lousy and shooting low, low left, left. My friend was chewing the center out. He jokingly made a remark about my M&P being an awful gun. So, I offered to swap. Off he goes again, chewing the center out...but with my 5" M&P. And I keep up the same trend. I went to the range some time later after I switched to a 4.25" M&P9. I shot it along side my EMP 9MM that I no longer have. Same habits with both guns. The EMP less pronounced, probably due to is SAO trigger pull.

Yesterday we went to Precision. The place was jam packed. Only lane open was the steel plates. I was with another friend who just bought a G34. He hasn't shot a handgun in probably two years, when we sold his G19 when he was laid off. After about 100 rounds through it he was running up to an 80% hit rate I'd say. At one time he managed to knock down all 5 plates with I think 6 or 7 shots.

Pulled out the trusty M&P9 4.25". I used a whole mag trying to get a plate. Once I did get two plates in 17 shots. I switched with my friends G34. About the same results. He, on the other hand, was doing fairly well. About the same as he did with his G34 on his first mag. I resorted to watching him do his thing (he was doing fairly well) as I wasn't too amused at being stared at through the glass while shooting a magazine in a manner that would make Michael J Fox shake his head. The guy from the next lane over who was impatiently waiting to shoot the steel, wasn't doing much good either, aside from making sure I knew I was shooting low. Not that I could tell myself.

Adding insult to injury, I saved the targets from when my ex girlfriend and I went to the range last year. She out shot me with all 4 handguns I owned at the time, including a 1911. Not by a lot, but by enough.

Anywho, it was disappointing. Frustrating. Being inside an indoor shooting range wasn't helping I don't think. I consistently shoot better outside. I think I don't like being watched by a bunch of mall ninjas, being crowded in a room, and I was developing a headache and my throat was starting to burn lightly from the smoke in the air. My next goal is definitely some class time, both for my pistol and rifle. I passed the CHP course just fine but Sunday I felt like I'd be better off throwing the loaded gun at a perp :mamoru:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Get some formal training and then practice practice practice. I have very shaky hands to the point where I've been questioned about being a alcohlic. I've had to train alot be to decent with a handgun.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Yep, practice the fundamentals and everything else will come. I am by no means an "Expert" marksman with a pistol either, but if you stick to the basics it will get better. I agree with SGT_Kramer.

I grew up hunting and shooting shotguns and rifles. Pistols were never my "thing". This is why I have taken such an interest in them over the past few years.

Good training, proper form, and practice will make a world of difference.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Yep, practice the fundamentals and everything else will come. I am by no means an "Expert" marksman with a pistol either, but if you stick to the basics it will get better. I agree with SGT_Kramer.

I grew up hunting and shooting shotguns and rifles. Pistols were never my "thing". This is why I have taken such an interest in them over the past few years.

Good training, proper form, and practice will make a world of difference.

I hear you there.

When I was growing up I always had little pellet rifles and things. I feel far more comfortable with my AR15 or 22 rifles.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Practice isn't going to help without some coaching first. I noticed that with a few pointers my shooting improved tremendously. My biggest problems were grip and trigger pull. Learning to feel for the trigger reset helped a lot. So did simply shifting my grip and what part of my trigger finger was touching the trigger. Simple things. Maybe have someone either shoot a bit of video or at least some pictures of your grip while shooting, then post on here. I'm sure lots of the guys on here will be happy to tell you what you're screwing up... :)

You're in LIvingston- maybe offer to meet up with a few guys from here at bass pro or precision, off to pay for pizza and beer (well, the first round anyway) after... I'm sure plenty will offer you coaching!
    If you want better spring for an hour with one of the trainers on board here (I'll vouch for Bearco- I sat through one of his ccw classes recently and watched him work with some of the others! Ouch... if he can get them shooting on target he can help you!).

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I feel better shooting at the plate rack now. If its full I tell them I will just take the plates and I get agrivated if I have to use 1 or two extra rounds. Most of the time I can clear the rack without missing with my XDm, M&P, Trojan or MC operator, not so much with my compacts, well I am pretty good with the xdsc.

bsramzy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    prairieville
    I will admit I'm in the same boat as you. I enjoy target shooting and continue to work at getting better.

It may be easier if we both find friends who suck more than us!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Formal training ASAP so that you do not continue to acquire BAD habits that create training scars, its easier to "fix" somebody with low experience than to fix somebody with years of bad habits.

If you ever come my way I could donate you a little of my time at the range to get you on a solid base, then you could move forward into a training class with whoever you decide depending on your budget and free time.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Same here. I live in Livingston and would be happy to check out your grip etc. I'm not a competition shooter but I could give you the basics.

•MOTOR51•

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I use a thumbs forward grip. I feel as though my areas of work will be in the trigger pull, how hard I'm holding, and my sight picture.

Once my vacation this weekend is out of the way I can start looking back into getting some quality range time with someone :)

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Not that many will agree with me, but I do think some hand and arm exercises will help. Having strong hands and arms, along with a good stance and grip will allow you to correctly hold, sight and control the gun. Individual trigger finger workouts is a good idea, as it will help the "milking" issue. (this is when your other finges move by themselves when you use your trigger finger.

Given your stated issues, I have a feeling your hold is not right, and you are moving your entire hand while you are trying to pull the trigger.

I find that I have a "crush grip" on the gun. It feels "locked" in and I do group beeter than when I do not get the right grip and the gun moves around in my hand. My job as an auto painter works my hands arms and shoulders out daily, and I do not have any issues with shakes unless I have had a few dr peppers!!!

Training is important, but so is physical ability. Pro athletes have to work out, even though they have exeptional skills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom