Solutions to obtain a Limited Government

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    This is kind of a spinoff to another thread that was discussing the gov't shutdown.

Post your solutions that would help the USA obtain a Limited Government. It might also be helpful if you define the functions that a limited government would perform.

Also, feel free to say whether or not you feel a limited government is obtainable, perhaps keeping gov't limited is an impossibility.

Lokin4AReason

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    behind a desk ....
    term limits on politicians and once out of office, you dont get that same pay as you were in office .....

cut spending .... 1/4 in the beginning and later to a 1/2 or more ....

no cutting free cheques and would have a mandatory doctors evaluation ever year

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    term limits on politicians and once out of office, you dont get that same pay as you were in office .....

cut spending .... 1/4 in the beginning and later to a 1/2 or more ....

no cutting free cheques and would have a mandatory doctors evaluation ever year

If we were to "start over", what would you put in place that's different from today that would prevent a gov't from getting this large?

Would it be as simple as making restrictions to Gov't more specific: Gov't will not provide the following...XYZ

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    All people would NOT have the right to vote! Wanna vote hold a job! Wanna vote pay taxes!

Get any form of Gov/State assistance take random drug test!

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    All people would NOT have the right to vote!

As radical as this notion is, I am in favor of it.

Just as someone who doesn't live in a particular jurisdiction can't vote on certain things, people who don't have "skin in the game" shouldn't be allowed to vote either.

Those who are on the dole are always going to vote for those whom they believe will take care of them.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I've always considered the fact that we are in a world so vastly different technologically than when the government was set up that we don't need a "representative" democracy. We have the means now that every person (mostly...) can go online and vote on every public office, every bill, etc.

Of course there's the minority that do not have internet access and then the risk of the system being hacked and the voter results rigged... but it is just a thought. Would remove the need for congress/senate.

This is probably a terrible idea because I'm not the most politically educated person and I still know more than 80% of the people I talk to... and 100% of people in my family.

Bladerunner

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    John Paul Dejoria (Paul Mitchell/Tequila Patron) was interviewed the other night and the question came up about non-essential workers. He asked "What is a non-essential worker, and why do we have them?" He said that if his businesses had non essential workers, he would go out of business. Either you are essential to the job, or you don't work there.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    John Paul Dejoria (Paul Mitchell/Tequila Patron) was interviewed the other night and the question came up about non-essential workers. He asked "What is a non-essential worker, and why do we have them?" He said that if his businesses had non essential workers, he would go out of business. Either you are essential to the job, or you don't work there.

People with the term "non-essential employee" need to stop.

They use this term in its literal sense, when that is totally NOT what they are talking about.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    THE ENUMERATED POWERS ACT - basically every bill put before Congress would have to include direct reference to the clause of the Constitution that allows the Federal government the power to enact and enforce it. Any bill not passing that muster would be tossed. Every member of Congress not willing to vote in favor of and work within the confines of the Enumerated Powers Act is a coward, plain and simple.

Individual consideration of all legislation not directly related. No such thing as funding for free urban health clinics being tacked on to NASA's appropriations bill. That kind of nonsense needs to stop.

With today's technology, more direct votes from the people, if not nationwide on every specific bill, at least within states/districts to send more certain and clear messages to the Congress-critters on what their direct constituencies expect of them, and to give those constituents a clear picture of how well or poorly said critters are following the directives of their constituencies.

I've never voted without showing an authentic LA license. I don't believe in all that bullsh!t clattletrap about how requiring a valid photo ID is somehow disenfranchising the poor and minorities, that's a load of crap! It's what, $22.50 for a four year license or ID? If a non-working, dirt-encrusted, matted-haired, cardboard-sign-holding vagrant can make enough for a six-pack in one hour, there's no reason anyone can't trim a few sodas or slim-jims from their monthly expenditures to get an ID. If voting is important to you, you'll do the digging and research to obtain the necessary ID documents (birth certificate or SS card, etc.) to obtain appropriate photo ID. If you truly did come up as a street urchin with no idea of who your parents were or where you were born, then there should be a stringent process to establish your ID and legal residency. If you legally entered the US fleeing a totalitarian regime and have no access to past records, then the record of your entry will be the starting place, and records of your tax contributions and efforts towards naturalization should be the building blocks for the rest. No record of legal entry, sorry for your bad decision to enter illegally. It's not racist, it's not xenophobic, it's plain common sense and in the self-interest of the country to prevent being bled dry by non-contributing leeches.

Term limits for sure, and I don't know exactly where to start, but a return to the perception of service in Congress as a duty WITHIN your country TO the community that you represent. Members of Congress are always talking about their plans for the nation, rather than their service to the part of the nation they represent. It's gotten so far from true representation that the term may as well be done away with.

Put the brakes on the gravy train. If you're only going to serve 4-12 years under term limits, no sweetheart lifetime benefits.

That 28th amendment proposal that passes around on the internet isn't a bad idea, either. No exemptions or special packages, any legislation passed on the citizenry holds to the Congress as well.

Those are some of my first choices if we could actually have the say we were originally meant to have.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    THE ENUMERATED POWERS ACT - basically every bill put before Congress would have to include direct reference to the clause of the Constitution that allows the Federal government the power to enact and enforce it. Any bill not passing that muster would be tossed. Every member of Congress not willing to vote in favor of and work within the confines of the Enumerated Powers Act is a coward, plain and simple.

I would add that NO congressman or senator could abstain from voting ON ANY legislation. That is cowardice and preplanned subterfuge.

Individual consideration of all legislation not directly related. No such thing as funding for free urban health clinics being tacked on to NASA's appropriations bill. That kind of nonsense needs to stop.

This would save the country billions alone; and would help stop the funneling/stealing of tax dollars. It would also get meaningful legislature looked at more closely and expose the cowards and criminals explained in my previous remark.

With today's technology, more direct votes from the people, if not nationwide on every specific bill, at least within states/districts to send more certain and clear messages to the Congress-critters on what their direct constituencies expect of them, and to give those constituents a clear picture of how well or poorly said critters are following the directives of their constituencies.

Isn't it strange that we have our entire existences (social, banking, security, business), on our phones now, and NO ONE is even talking about this^?

I've never voted without showing an authentic LA license. I don't believe in all that bullsh!t clattletrap about how requiring a valid photo ID is somehow disenfranchising the poor and minorities, that's a load of crap! It's what, $22.50 for a four year license or ID? If a non-working, dirt-encrusted, matted-haired, cardboard-sign-holding vagrant can make enough for a six-pack in one hour, there's no reason anyone can't trim a few sodas or slim-jims from their monthly expenditures to get an ID. If voting is important to you, you'll do the digging and research to obtain the necessary ID documents (birth certificate or SS card, etc.) to obtain appropriate photo ID. If you truly did come up as a street urchin with no idea of who your parents were or where you were born, then there should be a stringent process to establish your ID and legal residency. If you legally entered the US fleeing a totalitarian regime and have no access to past records, then the record of your entry will be the starting place, and records of your tax contributions and efforts towards naturalization should be the building blocks for the rest. No record of legal entry, sorry for your bad decision to enter illegally. It's not racist, it's not xenophobic, it's plain common sense and in the self-interest of the country to prevent being bled dry by non-contributing leeches.

Term limits for sure, and I don't know exactly where to start, but a return to the perception of service in Congress as a duty WITHIN your country TO the community that you represent. Members of Congress are always talking about their plans for the nation, rather than their service to the part of the nation they represent. It's gotten so far from true representation that the term may as well be done away with.

How about we just go ahead and allow the government to pay for the ID's for those that complain they can't get one. Money well spent. They would still have to meet your requirements, but at least that takes race and poverty out of the ******** argument against.

Put the brakes on the gravy train. If you're only going to serve 4-12 years under term limits, no sweetheart lifetime benefits.

That 28th amendment proposal that passes around on the internet isn't a bad idea, either. No exemptions or special packages, any legislation passed on the citizenry holds to the Congress as well.

This^ goes with out saying

Those are some of my first choices if we could actually have the say we were originally meant to have.

Very well done, Sir!

Now some of my own:

Capital punishment for ANY elected government official responsible for/or convicted of stealing/embezzling tax money in excess of $100,000.00 (If you think the death penalty is too strong, I will accept life without parole). Only murder/rape/child molestation is worse than when these scumbags using their positions to steal.

Peer review panels (investigating themselves for misdeeds), on these scumbags are to be equally represented as the majority party by non-elected private citizens; and with as much sway and power to indict. These would be voluntary posts.

Any publically elected federal employee or politician that has a net worth on there IRS tax return that is more after they leave office than when they started; should be automatically audited by a private CPA or firm; including the IRS, if they cannot prove the gains were acquired with investments or business that were in place prior to there election.

Foreign aid to any country would need to be justified and accounted for. (No million dollar humanitarian food shipments ending up in dictator's army's bellies.) If a country receives monetary aid from the US, they must have a clean record of civil rights and all of their country's laws should be scrutinized to adhere similarly to the laws of our country. For instance: Woman can't get educated in your country by law; no handout!

I have loads more; but I have to eat lunch! :p

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    That's funny , back in the eighties I did some sound work in DC. The locals told us that if the janitors ever went on strike the nations business would grind to a halt because they had all the keys.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So retirees wouldn't be able to vote? Disabled veterans would be drug tested?

Retired people that worked and was a productive member of society the majority of their adult life "would be allowed to vote".

Disabled Vets that get benefits should be tested for illegal drugs and cut off if failed results are found.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish

3rd topic, this would render the Republic dead.

This is a great topic, and will produce some really in depth conversations. I could post hours and pages of text. In HS my senior project was based on the reform of FedGov to bring the Constitution and our Republic back to life. Of course it wasn't 100% based on reality as I had to remove any of the realistic human/man decisions. The idea was to return the FedGov to a status of only what the Constitution grants them the power to do. Specific things such as SS and declaring war were hot topics I focused on for visuals. The counter argument I chose was that the Constitution is outdated and flawed bc it allowed slavery. Which is completely false, it did not allow it. It clearly protected men from being slaves, regardless of the reality of the actions by the human element. The project was going incredibly well, even giving me the opportunity to meet Constitutional attorneys around the nation, Governors, and many members of Congress. Then, roughly half way through the year, my Principle made me change the topic.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Oh, and my $.02:

1. Hang people for treason again.

2. No Elected or appointed FedGov position shall have a yearly net pay of more than the average yearly net pay of the America people Always my favorite. (watch how fast those F'ers govern for our benefit)

3. Return the structure of Congress to that which was outlined and formed by the Constitution (this tech still keeps some members from having term limits... I'm still iffy on that bc originally there was a specific reason not everyone had term limits).

4. Income taxes (all forms) shall not exceed 25% of annual income. Remove nearly all deductions (idea is even without them, tax payers will pay less anyway, and it makes the tax code simple). Everyone pays something. Do away with the progressive tax code. Taxation without representation rings a bell.

5. The FedGov budget is not to exceed the amount of revenue generated from the prior fiscal year (only spend what you have). The FedGov shall not run a deficit following a fiscal year it accumulated a national debt or while a national debt exist. Of course debt from war or national disasters (declared by its affect on a % of the population or landmass) is exempt and such debts shall be paid back with the additional revenue generated by a War Tax and National Disaster Tax (based on income) not to exceed 8% for as many years as required. (I remember this one being a real challenge to get attorneys and Congressman to even read and comment on, after some begging it was worked out and actually endorsed, although I would have to find my paper to refer to its official text)

6. FedGov elected candidates must provide proof of eligibility outlined by the Constitution prior to being placed on a national ballot (Obama wasn't the first candidate, even for President, to have his eligibility challenged/questioned). (this was in my original project, 2004)

Top Bottom