St. Tammany ordinance on tonight's agenda

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Ordinances are normally advertized then introduced with no comments in one meeting and they are open for discussion before a vote is taken during the next meeting.

The time to stop it is before it is introduced. Anyone can request to have it pulled from the consent calendar, so it will be addressed individually. Anyone can comment on its introduction in the first meeting. No need to wait until the 2nd and final chance.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Seems to me that it conflicts with the state preemption, RS 40:1796.
    I could see them prohibiting firearms from being brought inside a building but what about parking lots and what does this do to Pelican Park? I'm sure the park is parish owned. If this passes, does this mean they can't hold the guns show there anymore?

Yes, this seems to present a problem for gun shows.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    He's looking for a local contact with the NRA. I don't know who that would be but if someone from the Louisiana Shooting Assn. is reading this, you should reach out to him.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    Recall them.

Recall any and all St. Tammany parish council members who vote for this ordinance. (As well as parish president Pat Brister, who is a co-sponsor.)
    Those that do not respect our rights, will respect that. (That is the only thing they will respect.)
    :hs:

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    It sounds like it will be tabled rather than defeated. I wonder if it will remain tabled until after the election.

If not, remember that Brister as Parish Prez could veto it. I don't know if she's ever vetoed anything, but this is worth ditching.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    i am trying to get the MCL to show up. our next meeting is on the 9th so i don't know if it will happen

Last edited:

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    The title of this thread is true again on June 4, 2015. It is back on the agenda, and hopefully will get some public comment at the Parish Council Meeting.

It is the 1st item under Ordinances for Introduction on the agenda.

http://www2.stpgov.org/agenda/JUNE 2015.1/agenda.html

OrdJune4_2015.jpg

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Recall any and all St. Tammany parish council members who vote for this ordinance. (As well as parish president Pat Brister, who is a co-sponsor.)
    Those that do not respect our rights, will respect that. (That is the only thing they will respect.)
    :hs:
    Agreed!

Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish
    Sounds like you guys in St Tammany are on top of this. Give them a big ole piece of your mind! I got nothing for these local politicians who want to test the waters to see if they can run BS policy changes that snatch up the rights of the electorate b/c they think they slick. Godamnit I got the redass now!

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Sounds like you guys in St Tammany are on top of this. Give them a big ole piece of your mind! I got nothing for these local politicians who want to test the waters to see if they can run BS policy changes that snatch up the rights of the electorate b/c they think they slick. Godamnit I got the redass now!

Yes, it sounds like we're on top of this. Unfortunately we in St Tammany are good at big talk and little action. I can only hope that public comment will be strong. I plan to be there.

Last edited:
    A

andreleger2001

I will be there... Andre' Leger NRA Handgun Instructor - LA Concealed Handgun Instructor (State Police Instructor #684)

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    People showed up to oppose it, and a motion was made to remove it from the agenda. Some who opposed it spoke against it even though it appeared to be a dead issue for the evening.

On the agenda it was to be early in the meeting, but the meeting did not follow the published agenda. The meeting started at 6 pm, and this ordinance came up about 10 pm. Those who spoke invested at least 4 hours each. Ugh.

It seems like they will be back with some modified form of it, but there is no indication when that will be.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    People showed up to oppose it, and a motion was made to remove it from the agenda. Some who opposed it spoke against it even though it appeared to be a dead issue for the evening.

On the agenda it was to be early in the meeting, but the meeting did not follow the published agenda. The meeting started at 6 pm, and this ordinance came up about 10 pm. Those who spoke invested at least 4 hours each. Ugh.

It seems like they will be back with some modified form of it, but there is no indication when that will be.

Video of the speakers from last night can be seen at this link.

Top Bottom