Stop It. Your gun is not "unfired".

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    It is called "proofing"; an intentionally heavily-loaded "proof" round is fired to prove that the chamber doesn't have a metalurgical defect which could lead to an accident.

BTW, this is nothing new. It is a centuries-old practice.

leVieux

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Has spent case, assume it was factory fired, but not sure I was not there if and when it was ...... Oh heck when does the madness stop?:rofl:One other thing doy you think some of the factory testers possibly fire more than one round. Maybe at lunch break they grab a few off the line and smoke em down. Its like potato chips, its hard to just eat (shoot) one. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Gun manufacturers test fire guns at the factory. Handguns come with a fired case. Please call your gun what it is. If it is new in box, then NIB will do. Like new in box? LNIB.
    Unfired? Probably not. If you find yourself wanting to type "unfired" please resist and just try "NIB". If you remove it from the box and paw all over the gun then it will probably be "LNIB".

I have one that is unfired and NIB...

But then.... it's over 35 years old!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Blah. If someone tells me it's "unfired in box", they're probably on the level.

Technically, anyway.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Gun manufacturers test fire guns at the factory. Handguns come with a fired case. Please call your gun what it is. If it is new in box, then NIB will do. Like new in box? LNIB.
    Unfired? Probably not. If you find yourself wanting to type "unfired" please resist and just try "NIB". If you remove it from the box and paw all over the gun then it will probably be "LNIB".

you must be a word pickin' lawyer.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    You're just jealous of my mad skillzz. It's okay, I won't hate.

Oh yeah, I finally got my "play" car a few months ago.

For free :p

Looking forward to updates. We can go cruise around if you don't drive like an idiot. Play car #1 is ready to roll whenever. Play car #2 is in the works.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Are the fuel cans included? Are they full? Regular or premium? Does the included dog fetch papers?
    IMG_6084-3.jpg

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I built a gun and didn't fire it. Do I still have to say that it is LNIB, and not "unfired?"

What about if the gun manufacturer only put an empty case with a primer that had no charge in it? Could you then call it unfired?

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    I built a gun and didn't fire it. Do I still have to say that it is LNIB, and not "unfired?"

What about if the gun manufacturer only put an empty case with a primer that had no charge in it? Could you then call it unfired?

Yes, if you build a gun it can be unfired. Real gun makers can release production guns that are "unfired". But, 99.999% of the time they don't. Even commemoratives and special editions may or may not be fired by customers and so should be test fired before leaving the factory.

The primer alone is enough to propel a bullet down range. So, yes, if there was any ignition I would call it fired.

Maybe you got lucky and got a gun that had a misfire at testing and is truly "unfired".

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Also, you can buy a gun, leave it in a crappy holster for a few years, drop it many times, dip it in salt water, and otherwise abuse it and tear it up without ever firing it.

So, "unfired" might mean it never fired after it left the factory but says nothing about condition.

NIB means not only has it not been fired since it left the factory, but also it is in the same condition as when it left the factory.

LNIB means who know what happened to it but it looks like it is in the same condition as when it left the factory. ANIB = LNIB

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What part of the gun is most affected by the act of the initial firing, and are there any lasting effects on the life of the gun?

Specifically, how does the gun itself feel about all of this? Does it feel good about itself? Or does it feel like it's been used?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom