Terrebonne Parish: Dog must make contact before the use of deadly force?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogbaron

Long Ago and Far Away
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    What the hell are they thinking? According to her neighbor, the same dog attacked some people the week before. I noticed that nothing was mentioned abouth the dog's owner. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

There is a dog into my neighborhood that will actually come in my yard and bark and growl at me. I have had conversations with the owner and asked then demanded that the dog be kept off my property, all to no avail. In a conversation with a friend whose brother is an Ascension Parish deputy, I mentioned that I was thinking of shooting the dog if it ever bit me. He said that I would probably face charges because one of his neighbors killed a dog that attacked one of his claves. The neighbor was charged and when he asked what he should have done, he was told to call the Sheriff's office and a deputy would have the authority to shoot the dog. So now I keep a CO2 pistol handy. It doesn't make any noise and will get the dog's attention without arousing anyone else.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    ...He said that I would probably face charges because one of his neighbors killed a dog that attacked one of his calves. The neighbor was charged and when he asked what he should have done, he was told to call the Sheriff's office and a deputy would have the authority to shoot the dog...

So let me get this straight, I can shoot (to kill) another human being in self defense, as long as I fear for my own or another human's life, but if I see one animal attack another, and it appears that the attacking party (dog) will kill the attacked (calf), all you can do is watch? That's BS. Is that law or opinion just for dogs or pets? What if a snake is biting my dog? Can I shoot the snake?

you said he was charged; do you know what the final outcome was?

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Who Who

Who let the dog in? Who Who? :D

maddog.gif
    maddog.jpg

Last edited:

dogbaron

Long Ago and Far Away
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    What I was told

So let me get this straight, I can shoot (to kill) another human being in self defense, as long as I fear for my own or another human's life, but if I see one animal attack another, and it appears that the attacking party (dog) will kill the attacked (calf), all you can do is watch? That's BS. Is that law or opinion just for dogs or pets? What if a snake is biting my dog? Can I shoot the snake?

I was also told that the shooter had to pay the dog's owner the value of the dog! I totally agree that is major BS

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Silence is Golden

I bought a C0-2 pistol also for scaring dogs off of my property ;)

Simply aim it at the soft muddy ground and shoot; it seems to work great for encouraging them to return to their own home! ;)

Scares a cat off of motorcycle seats also REALLY REALLY well!:mamoru:

live_art60.gif

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I got a red ryder bb gun for cheap, after two encounters with it I haven't seen the neighborhood loose dog on my yard since. It is powerful enough to get attention but not to injure. I love animals but I'm not going to risk injury to my property or my secured, behaved dog due to someone elses negligence

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I shot a dog in self-defense a few years ago, and I still haven't gotten in trouble yet. Of course, nobody knows whose dog it was, nobody knows where it was, and its very unlikely the dog will ever be found.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

What he said.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    1 shot and down goes the dog. Pretty impressive on an aggressive (assumedly moving) target.

I know pits, and any goat or 7 year old child that it wanted to attack would be down and out long before someone could get inside the house and grab a gun. That's not to say that the dog wasn't acting aggressively, or that you should not be able to shoot it in fear for someone's safety.

Just the same, all we've got is "Precious" (:rofl: on so many levels) telling us what went down, with a single witness providing no more detail than "I would have shot the dog, too". Could be a really stupid arrest and/or law, but something makes me skeptical on this one. Hopefully we'll hear more details.

Note-- I am not saying that threatening animals shouldn't be shot. Better a dead dog than any reasonable chance of a child being hurt. But much of this story begs for more explanation.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    1 shot and down goes the dog. Pretty impressive on an aggressive (assumedly moving) target.

I know pits, and any goat or 7 year old child that it wanted to attack would be down and out long before someone could get inside the house and grab a gun. That's not to say that the dog wasn't acting aggressively, or that you should not be able to shoot it in fear for someone's safety.

Just the same, all we've got is "Precious" (:rofl: on so many levels) telling us what went down, with a single witness providing no more detail than "I would have shot the dog, too". Could be a really stupid arrest and/or law, but something makes me skeptical on this one. Hopefully we'll hear more details.

Note-- I am not saying that threatening animals shouldn't be shot. Better a dead dog than any reasonable chance of a child being hurt. But much of this story begs for more explanation.

My agreements are with you on this one. The second I heard that she had to go inside to retrieve a firearm in order to save her 7 year old from attack.... well then, it looks more like she wanted justice more than safety. We need more then her side to make sense of this one.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you have a neighbor with an agressive dog, find out who has the homeowners (or call the agents around town if its a small town). They don't want to pay out on a dog bite claim.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    My friend in Jeff Davis parish called the cops JDSO about a dog comming on his property and growling and they told him to shoot it....

He wouldn't shoot a dog, his wife is one mean wench tho, she capped it....end of story

CRUE CAB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Melbourne Florida
    What the hell are they thinking? According to her neighbor, the same dog attacked some people the week before. I noticed that nothing was mentioned abouth the dog's owner. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

There is a dog into my neighborhood that will actually come in my yard and bark and growl at me. I have had conversations with the owner and asked then demanded that the dog be kept off my property, all to no avail. In a conversation with a friend whose brother is an Ascension Parish deputy, I mentioned that I was thinking of shooting the dog if it ever bit me. He said that I would probably face charges because one of his neighbors killed a dog that attacked one of his claves. The neighbor was charged and when he asked what he should have done, he was told to call the Sheriff's office and a deputy would have the authority to shoot the dog. So now I keep a CO2 pistol handy. It doesn't make any noise and will get the dog's attention without arousing anyone else.

That happend to a aquaintence of mine years a go in Sebastian FL.
    He was a deputy for the Brevard County Sheriffs office.
    He came home after his shift and saw his young son on the ground with a dog snapping at him.
    He got out of the car and kicked the dog in the side, the dog came after him, he drew his service weapon and killed the dog. He felt in the defence of himself and his son.
    He was forced to resign or be charged with crimes ranging from criminal mischief to un authorized discharge of service weapon.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    That happend to a aquaintence of mine years a go in Sebastian FL.
    He was a deputy for the Brevard County Sheriffs office.
    He came home after his shift and saw his young son on the ground with a dog snapping at him.
    He got out of the car and kicked the dog in the side, the dog came after him, he drew his service weapon and killed the dog. He felt in the defence of himself and his son.
    He was forced to resign or be charged with crimes ranging from criminal mischief to un authorized discharge of service weapon.

I am not a litigious person but I think I'd have to take action on that one, especially since his livelihood was taken. That's ridiculous. If the same scenario had played out but with a human being substituted for the dog, he'd have been justified. Stupid. :mad:

Top Bottom