The average CCW issue time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Why are people still using paper? File electronically, do your prints at LSP. One week start to finish for most.

We didn't know about the electronic filing. Our instructor (who I was totally happy with, and am not complaining about at all) gave us paperwork to hand in. Had I known about electronic filing I'd have been glad to do so.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    We didn't know about the electronic filing. Our instructor (who I was totally happy with, and am not complaining about at all) gave us paperwork to hand in. Had I known about electronic filing I'd have been glad to do so.

Same thing happened to me except I read about online application here and decided to go that route . Glad I did . 7 days to get my permit .

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    4/14/16 - Online submitted
    4/14/16 - Mailed the prints
    4/16/16 - Prints delivered

Still no further progress. I even tried to use my employer as a perk... notta. And no additional information.

I wonder what the professions are of the ones who got theirs so fast...? My little sister seems to have gotten hers the same week she applied.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA

Still no further progress. I even tried to use my employer as a perk... notta. And no additional information.

I wonder what the professions are of the ones who got theirs so fast...? My little sister seems to have gotten hers the same week she applied.

See above

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish

I tried calling a few times throughout the day on the 26th to get an update and got the "Busy so F'U" tone. Not even mad though... should have don't this years ago.

Had a roller coaster of a call with them today. They are working mail from early March. "...out of the 6 of us here, only 2 work on electronic apps with mailed in prints, we get to spend around 4 hours each day 3 days a week to process mail prints..." No reason as to why so few hours a week are spent on this "incredible backlog" was given. They also confirmed that if you go there to do your prints, you get to "cut the line". Just passing along what I was told.

Granted none of this info created the roller coaster I mentioned, but those details, if shared, wont be so until I have my permit in hand. :noes:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    See above

I understand this point, as I just stated it was clearly outlined for me today. Call me old fashioned or traditional in my views of governance, but there is ZERO reason, and it shouldn't be acceptable to any of us, that this is how it works.
    A resident in Monroe or Shreveport shouldn't have to wait behind those who live closer to this "perk". Applications should be reviewed by their date.

Regarding the end of my conversation with Mr. Cotton, if my permit isn't mailed out this week, I will most likely go and do the electronic prints and according to him, leave with my permit that day.

sacosta66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2016
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Latest update on my CHP.
    Submitted online on Jan 11, 2016
    Did prints thru local Police Dept and mailed them on Jan 12th.
    Emailed HQ on March 10th requesting status update.
    Received email on March 15th stating "We are currently processing Apps submitted in early January".
    Received email on April 4th to submit payment and paid in full the same day...
    Received certified package on May 20th that my fingerprints that were submitted were not usable and to resubmit fingerprints.
    Went to HQ on May 31st (was out of town from 20th thru 30th) and electronically submitted with State Police HQ.

So yes, took over 4 months just to inform me that my prints were no good.

The wait continues.....

Notified this morning that my application was approved and will receive my permit in 10-15 days.
    One step closer!

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Can you do the prints at your local troop or do you have to come to Baton Rouge?

You have to go to Baton Rouge.

For me that is a 3.5 hour drive and a day missed at work.

There is no reason why all the troop offices shouldn't be interfaced so that you can electronically submit from any troop.
    They should have the PD and SO systems interfaced so that you can electronically submit from there.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    The system itself looks rather tricky to use, requires dedicated and properly trained manpower to use it. While we were there, it also when down for awhile, just as our number was about to be called, so we were delayed an extra hour waiting for the system to come back on. It's directly connected to the main FBI computer, I believe, so it's probably a rather complicated system when you consider it's a national fingerprint system. The FBI might limit it to one per state, and the states probably don't have the manpower to have more than one system setup anyway. So to say there is no reason all the troop offices don't have one is probably not taking all of this into consideration. These are just my observations from when I was there. Being a photographer and working with scanning devices before, I understand these things are probably more complicated than some might realize.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Every Troop, every SO and many PDs have digital fingerprint machines.
    An interface would allow the digital prints to be sent to the main LSP system from any of those machines.

To scan my fingerprints on a digital machine, print them on paper, mail them to BR, so they can scan the prints back to digital, to submit for a background check.

As a photographer would you take a digital phone, print it, scan it back in, and expect it to be quality?

Every troop, SO or PD wouldn't need to submit them to the FBI, just have an interface that allows them to be submitted electronically to the LSP CHP system so that they can submit them to the FBI.
    If you eliminate the paper you eliminate the time factor of sorting, scanning, etc and the decline in the quality of the print that caused rejections.

I know of 4 people the got their fingerprints done at a local SO and mailed them in at the same time. One just got his permit after 4 months, the other three got a notice to resubmit their prints.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Yeah, I'm not saying they couldn't do it. But I'm not surprised they only have the one in Baton Rouge, considering the resources taken for the system. Maybe too, it's an intentional bottle neck. Each set of finger prints is part of a background check. How many background checks can they do an hour nation wide? While I was in the office, they must have been taking fingerprints at a rate of at least one per minute, plus all the paper finger print submissions, then multiply that by all the states, and the FBI must be inundated with background checks requests.

Surfmonkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Decided to take my print cards to LSP HQ and hand deliver on Monday. Glad I did because they said they were to light and that I needed to get reprinted. Did it there. Got there at 10:30 AM and left at 12:20 PM...They were taking 5 at a time and I think they had 2 people doing electronic prints...Got e-mail today stating that my application had been approved and requested payment. Sent payment electronically and got the confirmation of receipt of payment. Now I wait and see how long it takes to get here in the mail...

cuzucan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2016
    Prairieville, LA
    Filled out online application and uploaded documents: 7/16 (Saturday)
    Went to State Police headquarters for fingerprinting: 7/18 (Monday AM)
    Got email saying application was accepted and payed: 7/20 (Wednesday Evening)

Now wait begins for the approval email.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Filled out online application and uploaded documents: 7/16 (Saturday)
    Went to State Police headquarters for fingerprinting: 7/18 (Monday AM)
    Got email saying application was accepted and payed: 7/20 (Wednesday Evening)

Now wait begins for the approval email.

If your record is clean, you should get your approval today or tomorrow, and get your permit mid-week next week.

Top Bottom