The risk of going to a Mardi Gras parade

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Kinda late to get a good spot now, but go. When you consider the large influx of extra people, condensed into the relatively small area that is the parade route, statistically a dozen people could get shot and it would be a low number day. It's not that the parade necessarily draws any extra violence, it's more like that day's shooting just happened to occur near the parade, and just may have occurred on the same corner at the same time even without the parade going on. It could happen at the red light you're stopped at on the way to work, on the I-10 in the East (several times over the last few years), or even in your driveway in Slidell when you've been followed home (like the Samantha Jaume murder in Mandeville). My point is don't let fear rule your life, and don't let the thugs win. If everybody stays home because someone might shoot someone somewhere at sometime during the parade, then the parade krewes are gonna be throwing all that stuff at a couple dozen criminals spread over several miles of empty streets.

Nicely stated. If you like parades go, if you don't stay home, just don't use the excuse "I might get shot." It's not rational.

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I don't go into the city anymore. And I don't 'P-rade'.

I was glad to read this thread and see like minded people putting up with their GFs or wives arguments and wishful thinkings. I've been preaching the same thing to my wife for over 6years now. I go to our local parade as a compromise.

This is what I do.

Kraut, I agree with what your saying. Although I don't let fear rule my life, I let it keep my alive!

I have the "street smarts/situational awareness" to keep myself alive. I don't go to parades in the city!
    But she doesn't have the same ability to be aware and still attends the parades and goes to all the festivals and gathering in the city.

I've been thinking of enrolling her in some self defense and weapons training courses. I feel like she may "value" the instructors opinion more than mine.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    I dislike parades more because of the drunk idiots looking to be bad asses than the threat of getting shot/shanked.

I went to N.O. last year to babysit my sister-in-law and her sorority friends (20 something year old girls) on Burbon and I'll never do it again. I'm a pretty protective guy and I almost lost my mind with all the idiots touching, leering, hitting on them. Bunch of animals down there. It's not nearly as bad on a parade route but I still try to avoid it at all cost. I'll go to Baton Rouge or a Houma/Thibodaux parade and not worry as much.

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I'm sure the people who are shot, stabbed, raped, and/or otherwise assaulted are not really comforted by the fact that "Statically" they were at low risk. You can go down there 1000 times with no problem, but the one time you get caught up in it will change your life. What it boils down to is you know it can happen, If you think it’s worth the risk, go for it.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I went today because my dad rode. If he wasn't riding, I wouldn't be there.

I went out with my mom and older brother, and as soon as his float passed, we were on our way back to the car.

We were in a more "family friendly" area I guess, no one being super crazy near Napoleon and St. Charles but still. I don't get the hype of Mardi Gras anymore. And you couldn't pay me to go to Bourbon anymore.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Yeah, I've only been to one parade in NOLA- Endymion, in maybe 2010 or so. It was just trashy, and I felt like we all spent more time trying to block beads from smashing us in the face than anything else. If I'm going to a parade, I'll go to a local one in my small town.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I remember the time I was down there with my brother and some buddies and heard an OBVIOUS tourist ask some street vendor the price of the tangerines he was selling. The dude looked and sounded completely high and mumbled something back to her that didn't make any sense, whatsoever.

She turned to her husband and asked him in a nasally voice, 'what'd he just say??' The husband looked and her and says 'You know I can't understand any of that Cajun.' :doh:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I live and work in NOLA. I dream of moving or retiring to the "country" one day. The reality is, I live and work here. My son's school is here and my wife's business is here too. We just bought a house here too. We make the best of what the city gives us. We avoid places that are obviously suspect and always aware of our surroundings no matter were we are. We're always prepared and conscious of everything. Most importantly.....we R E L A X throughout everything else. I'm not going to let anything or anyone stop me from doing what I have to or want to do. I don't live in fear and don't plan on doing so no matter where I am. I do my homework and stay prepared so I don't have to worry about whatever everyone else is worried about.

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I agree with all who have stated that statistically you are pretty safe....Safe from getting hurt or killed I mean..I spent my first 32 years in NOLA and lived on a parade route on the WB and must say I don't get excited at all about Mardi Gras. I feel if its something somebody wants to do than do it. I guess everybody should experience it to say "Been there done that" like me and be over it. Maybe it is burnout in my case and really don't miss it and sure as hell will not take vacation for it. Drunks and parking will be your biggest PITA though, especially if your wife/gf is a looker. Be prepared to put up with crap. Some folks absolutely love it and go every year with no problems at all.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'll pass. Even if there's no bullets flying and nobody robbing, there's still the elbow to elbow mob out there that could stampede at any given moment, along with a ton of other possibilities. I just don't enjoy it enough for the trouble.

That being said, I think we did purdy dang good at the Morgan City parade today..
    ab578ec8bfd24ede78bfdaad493aea4c.jpg

And Troy Landry came up and gave my youngest a couple of gators
    05674491e3f0ec9858582f141fa8a2cd.jpg

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Magdump, look at those faces!!!! You bet they had a ball and thats all that matters in my opinion! Great pics and memories too.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    That's alot of Nerf footballs, Magdump. Your kids look like they had fun and your loot ain't bad either. We only went to one parade this year (Bacchus), that's was it. Took my kid to laser tag today in lieu of Mardi Gras parades..... we had a blast. We're not big parade goers but we'll do at least one or two per year. My kid likes em ok but usually wants out halfway through the parade. He can't wait till it's a little warmer tomorrow or the next day to shoot his Red Ryder!

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Magdump, look at those faces!!!! You bet they had a ball and thats all that matters in my opinion! Great pics and memories too.
    yeah you right Boss. Little man being old enough to finally grab his own loot is a bonus. He's buck wild! It was like Christmas in February to them kids. That's my fun right there.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That's alot of Nerf footballs, Magdump. Your kids look like they had fun and your loot ain't bad either. We only went to one parade this year (Bacchus), that's was it. Took my kid to laser tag today in lieu of Mardi Gras parades..... we had a blast. We're not big parade goers but we'll do at least one or two per year. My kid likes em ok but usually wants out halfway through the parade. He can't wait till it's a little warmer tomorrow or the next day to shoot his Red Ryder!
    there ya go brother! Make the most of them days out of school. BB guns and laser tag!! = Daddy, what's a parade?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I live in New Orleans and I do not attend Mardi Gras if I can avoid it! wife makes me go sometimes, but I don't go Bc I don't like crowds, screaming for trinkets I do not need, nor the smells of **** around the city. I'm not afraid to go though. I don't feel like I'm in any danger at least the spots I go. My family has a restaurant down town so I can park in the garage and literally walk outside and be on st Charles. Also my sister in law lives on magazine, so I can park in her garage, and walk 1-2 blocks in either direction and be on a parade route (at charles or tchopitoulas)

Another reason I avoid Mardi gras is the traffic.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I dislike parades more because of the drunk idiots looking to be bad asses than the threat of getting shot/shanked.

I went to N.O. last year to babysit my sister-in-law and her sorority friends (20 something year old girls) on Burbon and I'll never do it again. I'm a pretty protective guy and I almost lost my mind with all the idiots touching, leering, hitting on them. Bunch of animals down there. It's not nearly as bad on a parade route but I still try to avoid it at all cost. I'll go to Baton Rouge or a Houma/Thibodaux parade and not worry as much.

not for nothin', about 99% of these folks you're describing are not orleans parish residents. Therefore, i would suggest that you not visit any of the other 49 states, as i'm sure those leerers and jeerers are from one of them. tourists come to new orleans to act like idiots and spend their money. I live in new orleans and do not go to the french quarter, save to eat at some joints or to visit friends that are working.

was downtown sat night. g27 in tow. no issues. never an issue if in the city in my opinion. rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Excellent. I seriously hope your evening did not include any bars or parades, else you just admitted to breaking the law, ccw or not, on the interwebs.

y'all don't have to come visit us, we love to have you and appreciate your patronage, but no one is forcing you to come visit.

As in all forms of life, sometimes you give up a degree of safety in order to do what ever the hell ya like. choice is y'alls.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom