Thoughts on AR choice before I spend the $$$

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clay7160

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Abbeville, LA
    I used clydes armory to purchase mine a few months ago, can't beat the price....or you can use smartgunner.com can configure the daniel defense upper the way you want, built by daniel defense and shipped to you...but you must use some coupon codes to get the best price, I ordered two uppers and two stripped lowers that i am building to my liking

TheBigShow

Buck Farack
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    That particular AR will run me about $980 and I like the look of the carbine better than the mid-length. Is the mid-length that much better? Any comments about the choice of Daniel Defense vs. other manufacturers?

TheBigShow

Buck Farack
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I used clydes armory to purchase mine a few months ago, can't beat the price....or you can use smartgunner.com can configure the daniel defense upper the way you want, built by daniel defense and shipped to you...but you must use some coupon codes to get the best price, I ordered two uppers and two stripped lowers that i am building to my liking

Got any codes you can share with me?

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I've got a 16" with a midlength gas system...the result is fast handling but much softer recoil impulse that makes it easier to stay on target compared to the 16" with the carbine gas system I had before. Best of both worlds IMO.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    You never stated your intended use of the rifle?

If it's just to shoot at the range from time to time, don't kid yourself with a fighting carbine, just go get a Bushmaster or Del-Ton rifle and save 2/3 the money and spend it on ammo and a sling/optic/etc

If you're actually going to run it hard, and put some abuse to it in hard action via training and maybe tac-rifle... where you need absolute reliability and consistency without compromise, then go with it.

Otherwise you're just buying it for the name brand. That's called fashion, and that, imo, is a stupid reason to buy a gun.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

If it's just to shoot at the range from time to time, don't kid yourself with a fighting carbine, just go get a Bushmaster or Del-Ton rifle and save 2/3 the money and spend it on ammo and a sling/optic/etc

If you're actually going to run it hard, and put some abuse to it in hard action via training and maybe tac-rifle... where you need absolute reliability and consistency without compromise, then go with it.

Otherwise you're just buying it for the name brand. That's called fashion, and that, imo, is a stupid reason to buy a gun.

I get where you're coming from, but this logic is retarded. Why buy a gun that is only good for one thing? Every gun I own, range toy or not, would easily serve as a legitimate defensive weapon. Buying a cheap firearm for any reason other than budget limitations is stupid, IMO. Your logic is the same as saying you shouldn't own a BMW unless you drive the Nurburgring. :rolleyes:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Why buy a gun that is only good for one thing?
    For a gun that will only see use at one thing, and where it will save you 60%+ of the cash of the other tool you won't use the capacity of.

Yes, the logic is the same as buying a Corvette that never goes over 45mph... it's stupid. Most people buy Corvette's (most vehicles over 35-40k, really) for fashion and as a status symbol.

Be -honest- with yourself! Will it ever actually be -used- for anything it was made to handle, or are you just using it for fun times at the range? Because there are plenty of rifles at 1/3 the cost that will be just as reliable for simple range time, than a Daniel Defense.

That's all I'm saying. Buy the most efficient tool for the job you will use it for. Don't make up jobs that it'll never be taken to, to justify a flashy or trendy purchase.

Just because it -could- serve as a legitimate defensive weapon (which it would)... will it ever?

Would you grab it for the "bump in the night" or would you grab a pistol or shotgun, or a different rifle? If it's not the rifle you're going to grab, then why require standards of a SD rifle for a rifle that won't be used for SD?

If you plan to use it as a defensive weapon, are you planning on getting training? If you bet your life on a rifle you BETTER know how to use it. In this case, it would be heavily recommended to get a weapon that will make it through a non-refundable, time-precious, hard training course.

OP asked for input and opinions. There's mine.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    For a gun that will only see use at one thing, and where it will save you 60%+ of the cash of the other tool you won't use the capacity of.

Yes, the logic is the same as buying a Corvette that never goes over 45mph... it's stupid. Most people buy Corvette's (most vehicles over 35-40k, really) for fashion and as a status symbol.

Be -honest- with yourself! Will it ever actually be -used- for anything it was made to handle, or are you just using it for fun times at the range? Because there are plenty of rifles at 1/3 the cost that will be just as reliable for simple range time, than a Daniel Defense.

That's all I'm saying. Buy the most efficient tool for the job you will use it for. Don't make up jobs that it'll never be taken to, to justify a flashy or trendy purchase.

Just because it -could- serve as a legitimate defensive weapon (which it would)... will it ever?

Would you grab it for the "bump in the night" or would you grab a pistol or shotgun, or a different rifle? If it's not the rifle you're going to grab, then why require standards of a SD rifle for a rifle that won't be used for SD?

If you plan to use it as a defensive weapon, are you planning on getting training? If you bet your life on a rifle you BETTER know how to use it. In this case, it would be heavily recommended to get a weapon that will make it through a non-refundable, time-precious, hard training course.

OP asked for input and opinions. There's mine.

You account for everything but the unknown. Your needs today may not be the same tomorrow, why not plan as such. When I started buying firearms i had no knowledge or intentions of training, etc. Over time I've sold all of the guns I originally bought and lost my ass along the way. I wish I would have bought quality **** from the get go. That Corvette may never go over 45mph, but it sure is comforting knowing what it's capable of if the need should ever arise.

I agree people buy things that are trendy or fashionable for no other reason (wish I could find the picture of the backwards mounted Magpul AFG :rofl:), but I fail to see how buying a quality rifle makes you trendy. Unless of course you meet the official James Cannon elite operator requirements. Just plain silly logic.

Back OT, the DD is a solid rifle, and under $1000 sounds like a good deal. I say go for it, then immediately sign up for no less than 12 training classes lest you be called a poser.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    SpeedRacer: a little disclosure... I'm a frugal penny pincher. :rofl:

I'm also more of the type that buys rifles to fit a certain niche. A rifle that does one thing well.. and not many things mediocre. So I buy niche weapons as my strategy (for non-collecting arms anyways)

So yea, my advice was mainly to save cash. Saving cash means more ammo to shoot :D

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I agree with Bosco and BayouSlide about the Midlength. I own both and the Middy is BY FAR the fastest back on target with the softest recoil of any AR I have ever owned. It's my favorite AR that I own.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    SpeedRacer: a little disclosure... I'm a frugal penny pincher. :rofl:

I'm also more of the type that buys rifles to fit a certain niche. A rifle that does one thing well.. and not many things mediocre. So I buy niche weapons as my strategy (for non-collecting arms anyways)

So yea, my advice was mainly to save cash. Saving cash means more ammo to shoot :D

I get where you're coming from dude. My first pistol was a taurus and my first AR was a $700 dollar Stag franken-build. :hs:

After being in this gun thing for a while (i'm still a perpetual student, so don't take what I say as gospel, just my .02) I can say speedracer is right. If there is any inkling of using your guns for "serious" stuff and training as such, you will wind up with a expensive, high quality gun. Not because you want to be a cool kid with all the cool names on your rifle, but because your gun will get there through evolving and trial and error. Contrary to what most guys think, there's a reason those guns are priced high, they work, plain and simple, no matter what. A DD is a work of art compared to a del-ton kit.

The difference is if you buy quality from the beginning, you will SAVE money from not having to sell 10 guns at a loss because you thought you were too smart and could cut corners and get the same result.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    This goes back to the point I was trying to make about buying "beater" $500 rifles so that you won't have to worry about scratching your good ones.

TheBigShow

Buck Farack
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Denham Springs

All I want is a nice AR that will be reliable, fun to shoot, looks good, and that I could sell easily in the future if I chose to. I am not in law enforcement or armed forces and would only be using it for fun, at the range, and for zombies :)

To me it comes down to what do you feel comfortable paying and then finding the gun that offers the most of what you are looking for that falls within your price range.

From what I have read the Daniel Defense carbine I posted the link to are very reputable, and fit the above listed requirements. There will always be something better no matter what you buy but unless those of you that know more than me about AR's can tell me otherwise, this gun for less than $1k seems like a great option.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You will not find a better gun for the price. In fact you will have a better gun than several that cost more. Firearms are a terrible investment though, well unless they are investment firearms like Machine Guns, so the re-sale thing who knows.

Top Bottom