Today is a day full of myth busting!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abh3vol.firemen

unskilled labor expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    houma,la
    why do people constantly forget that money is also a factor why people OC.thats why i do.i would rather CC but cant afford the permit.thats why i posted in the carry section if the permit price was ever lowered.for a gun forum whose members are in agreement that carrying a gun is better than not but turn around and bash some peoples only affordable way to do so.thats sad.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    why do people constantly forget that money is also a factor why people OC.thats why i do.i would rather CC but cant afford the permit.thats why i posted in the carry section if the permit price was ever lowered.for a gun forum whose members are in agreement that carrying a gun is better than not but turn around and bash some peoples only affordable way to do so.thats sad.

Nobody has forgotten anything. You said it yourself, "a gun forum whose members are in agreement that carrying a gun is better than not". We agree that if you are limited to open carry, it is better than not carrying. Nobody is bashing anyone who OC's because they can't afford a permit, people are bashing those who OC as a political statement and/or for attention.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    and after a little searching using the term open carry dawg23 posts comes up just to name a big one.

Well, he teaches concealed carry classes so that might be why his name comes up.

You say you can't afford the permit? I would be willing to bet if it was something that was important to you, you'd find a way to afford it. It's not like it's incredibly expensive.

You can get the whole thing for well under $300 which works out to $5 a month. If you can't afford that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Well, he teaches concealed carry classes so that might be why his name comes up.

You say you can't afford the permit? I would be willing to bet if it was something that was important to you, you'd find a way to afford it. It's not like it's incredibly expensive.

You can get the whole thing for well under $300 which works out to $5 a month. If you can't afford that, then I don't know what to tell you.

I would be willing to bet he has at least 1 gun he could sell to get his permit.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    We had a nice camp outside of Lagrange Texas when I was growing up.
    When my stepfather and I would go to town people were open carrying all over.
    I grew up thinking it was normal to carry a handgun on your hip.

Laws and times change.
    For those of you that haven't been here long we have had a whole slew of characters come through here that were complete derps about open carry.
    It wasn't the message that was the problem, it was the messenger.

And yes, many people who chose to open carry do so with crappy nylon gun show holsters.
    But to be fair, so do a lot of cc people.

Police are taught to cover their weapon in a crowd.
    I rarely see open carry people do the same.
    Also when I was on the road, I used to stop at many convenience stores.
    There is one in Gonzales that I kept seeing a fellow open carrying a Glock that would get this look of panic in his eyes every time he saw me in uniform.
    I'll bet he's a member on here too.
    To him I say lighten up and relax!
    I don't care if you open carry.

So to me it boils down to two things, open carrying for the wrong reasons and no weapons training.
    If you meet either or both of those criteria you shouldn't be carrying a weapon.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you are an overweight, out of shape individual, no one is going to fear you or take you seriously just because of the Ruger in the nylon holster on your hip. Give it a rest.

And weight has what to do with this? I've taken classes with people that were out of shape that were excellent shots and seemed to be tactically sound. Are you saying criminals ignore anyone that is overweight? If so we all need to break out the ding dongs!

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Are you saying criminals ignore anyone that is overweight? If so we all need to break out the ding dongs!

That's not at all what I said. What I said was, if you are OC'ing a weapon on your hip in an effort to overcompensate for a lack of physical prowess, or to say "Look at me, I'm a badass cause I'm carrying a pistol on my hip", no one is going to take you seriously.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom