TWIC cards

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I wish I could find the black and white writing for this. The plant I go in for my dad's company tells us the firearm is not allowed period! Even in the contractor Parkin lot which is public; I assume because no form of ID or security is necessary to park here.
    You won't find it because it isn't necessarily correct.

If you were referring to Exxon's contractor parking lots, rest assured that their rules preclude having a firearm in your vehicle. They brought the "dope dogs" (contraband dogs) to seven or eight facilities in Louisiana, including BR, a few months ago to check vehicles for drugs, firearms & explosives.

Plan on being permanently ousted from their facilities if caught with a gun in your vehicle. Same is probably true of other plants, but XOM is more stringent in enforcing their regulations.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I hate the saying, "concealed is concealed", but I have to agree with it. I go to plenty of different terminals, and have never had a problem. One guard did confiscate my fork. (she said it could be used as a weapon, I laughed inside and called her a dummy in my head)

I know its not right, but the gun owner in me doesn't care. (Luckily the boss man is pro 2nd although, I'd probably still get laid off, at least he would understand.)

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I've been put on a 5 day hold every trip to the gunstore since passing my federal background check for my TWIC card :( Never before.

g

I have a family member who has the same problem. He has a clean background and is a Navy Vet but he was getting delayed as a TWIC holder. Now he has both a TWIC and CHP but still goes through the same 3 day delays when purchasing firearms. This is a Veteran who is a highly respected professional in his indursty getting delayed when purchasing a firearm 9 miles from his house.

I am also worries out this. I was told that sometimes after you get a TWIC card you can experience a delay when purchasing a new firearm. Your story is not the first I have heard of this and hope it doesn't happen to me.

Are you an Armed Forces member from another state?

Last edited:
    G

gunguy11

Yes, Im referring to praxair, ineos, honeywell, and other local plant of gonzales/baton rouge.
    I always thought that your vehicle was a "constitutionally" protected place and as long as you were on a place available to the public it was a violation of your rights
    If told you could not have one in your car?
    I do not always understand the law as many don't though.

You won't find it because it isn't necessarily correct.

If you were referring to Exxon's contractor parking lots, rest assured that their rules preclude having a firearm in your vehicle. They brought the "dope dogs" (contraband dogs) to seven or eight facilities in Louisiana, including BR, a few months ago to check vehicles for drugs, firearms & explosives.

Plan on being permanently ousted from their facilities if caught with a gun in your vehicle. Same is probably true of other plants, but XOM is more stringent in enforcing their regulations.

bigoo7e

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Haughton, La. 71037
    No CHL yet, but I do have a Twic card... I have had no problems getting clearances with firearms purchases and FFL transfers.

I was however told when I got my Twic card that if I take it to the grosery store and show the cashier and I would get a free box of Twix, sadly it didn't work! :-/

LOL, j/k

Peace,
    Evan

Last edited:

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My plant doesn not have a problem with firearms on the property. As long as its in a locked case designed for firearms and out of sight. They DO have a problem with ammunition. Ammunition is considered contraband just like drugs, alcohol and is forbidden. Alcohol, unopened or otherwise is forbidden.

Hankjr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    BASF now provides lockers in the main security building for employees and visitors that carry a weapon in their vehicle. This is an improvement over the last couple of years as for a while, a weapon was not allowed on the property. That meant that you couldn't carry in your vehicle to/from work (unless taking a chance that your vehicle wouldn't be selected for a random search). I specify weapon as compared to a firearm because archery equipment was not allowed either. This is an improvement, but still a pain in the rear.

Hate to hear that some folks are facing delays while purchasing firearms after receiving a TWIC card. I'd like to believe that something else is causing this. I've bought several firearms since having my TWIC including 2 in the last 4 months.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    I agree with others on here. I have had my TWIC since the Maritime Industry began requiring them, and I have had no issues purchasing firearms.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    thats ********

Maybe, maybe not. Listed on the TWIC Registration website, this is the second item under list B documents:

Unexpired ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States. Must include a State or State agency seal or logo (such as state port authority ID or State University ID)

Would a CCP qualify as such? I would argue yes, but I certainly would have just given them my Social or such other simpler item, instead.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Maybe, maybe not. Listed on the TWIC Registration website, this is the second item under list B documents:

Unexpired ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States. Must include a State or State agency seal or logo (such as state port authority ID or State University ID)

Would a CCP qualify as such? I would argue yes, but I certainly would have just given them my Social or such other simpler item, instead.

When the TWIC requirements were first implemented, different processing centers (read different contractors) followed different policies. Our staff was in the earliest group of applicants. I wasn't allowed to use my CHP as a form of ID, but wouldn't be surprised if other sites, at other times, would accept it.

zivadog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    "If you were referring to Exxon's contractor parking lots, rest assured that their rules preclude having a firearm in your vehicle. They brought the "dope dogs" (contraband dogs) to seven or eight facilities in Louisiana, including BR, a few months ago to check vehicles for drugs, firearms & explosives.

Plan on being permanently ousted from their facilities if caught with a gun in your vehicle. Same is probably true of other plants, but XOM is more stringent in enforcing their regulations."

Someone correct me if I am wrong but didn't a law get recently passed (last year or so) to the effect that an employer cannot prevent you from keeping a gun in a locked vehicle or has to provide daytime lockup or alternate parking for the vehicle with the weapon if they search vehicles on entry to a non publicly accesable parking lot ? I also remember reading that the alternate parking had to be reasonable walking distance....

Zivadog

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    "
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but didn't a law get recently passed (last year or so) to the effect that an employer cannot prevent you from keeping a gun in a locked vehicle or has to provide daytime lockup or alternate parking for the vehicle with the weapon if they search vehicles on entry to a non publicly accesable parking lot ? I also remember reading that the alternate parking had to be reasonable walking distance....

Zivadog

The issue you are discussing involves contract employees working at plants such as Exxon. In that example, Exxon is not their employer. But Exxon is the property owner and can post its property, or make its own rules and policies that pertain to contractor's privileges regarding possession of guns in their vehicles.

The employer (in this case, the uncle of the member who posed the question) is not allowed to prohibited his employees from having guns in their vehicles.

This is a loophole in the original bill that was brought to Wooten's attention shortly after the bill was files, but was ignored.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    "If you were referring to Exxon's contractor parking lots, rest assured that their rules preclude having a firearm in your vehicle. They brought the "dope dogs" (contraband dogs) to seven or eight facilities in Louisiana, including BR, a few months ago to check vehicles for drugs, firearms & explosives.

Plan on being permanently ousted from their facilities if caught with a gun in your vehicle. Same is probably true of other plants, but XOM is more stringent in enforcing their regulations."

Zivadog

I worked at Exxon for 5 years and had this same issue. For a long time I said to hell with it and kept a firearm in the truck. When the job market got bad around '08 I decided I wasn't going to risk losing my job and started leaving them at home. Its a shitty deal. I don't think what they're doing is legal but I wasn't going to be the guy that gives up his job to take a stand. Since then I've moved on to another plant that as far as I can tell doesn't even have a firearms policy. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom