*Update* (Didn't ) loose my job because of my remarks about Al Sharpton

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If HR wishes to can you HERE it is...

Lesson Learned: If your thoughts aren't Godly keep quiet.

Without mentioning the Fortune 5 company I once worked for I can assure you that this NWO "Thought Police" mentality is prevalent (in transnational and large corporations). Perhaps your company is not - but your comments may change the near future path.

I've almost decided that auto-correct needs to be turned off on my phone. :o

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Which carries more weight, "freedom of speech", or, a statement another might deem "racist" or "threatening"?

Personally, I think "freedom of speech" trumps any other.

Freedom of speech protects you from the government when you speak against it, not from society when you say something stupid. That's the thing about freedom. It's a double edged sword. You are free to do as you please, but are responsible for what you do.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Freedom of speech protects you from the government when you speak against it, not from society when you say something stupid. That's the thing about freedom. It's a double edged sword. You are free to do as you please, but are responsible for what you do.
    That statement does not apply to everyone . It should , but it doesn't .

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    -ESPECIALLY- when you're on someone else's time (on the clock)

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    What it comes down to is that your company is ultimately going to be looking out only for itself. It will seek to insulate itself from any charge of creating a hostile work environment. Therefore, if someone has taken offense at something you've said and has alleged that it falls into one of the killer "hostile" characteristics - racial, sexual, religious, etc. - the company will have to at least show that it went through a proper procedure to discipline you.

If you have a generally good work history and are valuable to them, you can expect a letter of reprimand will be placed in your file. If you can make it to one year past the date of that letter without any other bad situation happening, you can ask to have it removed.

If they can replace you easily and you have not been exactly an ideal employee, they might well dismiss you. Louisiana is an at-will employment state, meaning they can fire you without ever giving a reason, unless you are covered by an employment contract that spells out the specifics of what is a firable offense.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Ok, here is the spin you need to put on this:

Generally your statement was meant? with quite a bit of sarcasm. What you need to do is claim that there was not sarcasm at all.

Being a martyr is generally seen as a positive atribute. People think a martyr was so strong willed that they were killed for their beliefs and will be revered as a strong figure. Just goole the term. In wiki pedia the number 1 sterotypical feature of a martyr is"a hero".

So by stating that you wanted to make Al a martyr you were in effect showing how much you agree with his agenda and basically you just wanted to help. To you Al being martyred would be the ultimate expression of how hard he fought the "good fight".

I also agree that if this was not recoreded in any way you just have to say that your words were mis-interperted and that you would like to apologize to anyone you might have offended, making you then look like the better man.

It is all about how you ease out of the situation. Make it look like you agree with your detactors and you will be just fine. If they think you are a bit nutty or slow they will be ok with that as long as they think you are on their side. Make a point to say that you voted for O-man too, so there is no way you could be a racist.

+1 -- Keep a straight face....and when questioned....Say how much you like Al. I know it would be hard, but throw out some history of something he did 10 years ago...And they will be so surprised they won't know what to say next.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Little dense here...you think what he said is racist ??

Elimination a trouble maker who has cost millions in damages and most likely even cost lives is not racism...causing others to rise up in the name of race is racism.

Makes no difference about the skin color of a race baiter...they are trouble makers of the worst sort in any color.

I could see disciplinary over the suggestion of violence had it been serious...this was said in passing , as a comment on another conversation.

Racists never think what they say is racist. Ever. I agree with an earlier post. I wouldn't want an employee who talks about politics and/or religion at work.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I wonder when racism began amongst mankind. In the beginning? Later? Who knows.

But I often wonder why the Creator made 4 distinct races of human beings. I mean, for what reasons? For a greater purpose than we humans will ever understand.

Why can't everyone just get along?

Evidently, Satan will not permit us too.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Racists never think what they say is racist. Ever. I agree with an earlier post. I wouldn't want an employee who talks about politics and/or religion at work.

HaHaHa...I know one you really don't need to worry about employing. I wouldn't work anywhere I couldn't say what was on my mind. That's one of the benifits of being a craftsman as opposed to a white collar, I have always been able to walk from one job to another when necessary.

Lot of different defnitions of racism I guess...me , I love the 3 car best, never B another....and what color was IT ????

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods

But I often wonder why the Creator made 4 distinct races of human beings. I mean, for what reasons? For a greater purpose than we humans will ever understand.

Maybe so we wouldn't clump up and try to build a tower to Heaven. :D

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I wouldn't work anywhere I couldn't say what was on my mind. That's one of the benifits of being a craftsman as opposed to a white collar, I have always been able to walk from one job to another when necessary.

There was a time in this country you went to the docks every morning in hopes that a foreman would hire you for the day. Most didn't get picked. Lots of folks here worry about similar times happening again. It's good that you can speak your mind at work, but you might not always be able too. Some day, it may be more important to feed your family.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

I cannot answer the question. I'm just glad He did. I imagine there are other humans on other planets that differ than us idiots on planet Earth, too. I also imagine that there are those who look just like us. The Greeks claim their gods were from the Pleiades (which is mentioned in the Book of Job, btw...). The Greek, Norse, Roman and Babylonian gods have differing names but supposedly when you translate their characteristics back to Sumerian they are the same. I cannot read Sumerian but I do know the characteristics of them are very similar.

The Chaldeans/Iraqi Christians claim that prior to them populating the area we call Iraq it was peopled by an advanced civilization of blacks/Africans. I had only heard of this tangentially until I moved to Detroit. The parents of my Chaldean buddies who admired my interest in history greatly assisted me trying to figure out WTF has happened on this planet. At least they provided me their perspectives.

Racism is extreme Stupid in my book. People are INDIVIDUALS. If I define you it's based upon your expressed Philosophy or Ideology (which will govern your actions, btw). As for "groups" I despise ASPECTS OF THEM ALL. THEY ARE ALL FLAWED AS PRESENTED (INCLUDING *ME*). LOL!

Oh, silly Earth man...

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i hope your company finds that you are more valuable with them than away. good luck, hopefully, you will walk away from this with nothing more than being "written up." reprimanding you is almost like "reverse-racism"

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    There was a time in this country you went to the docks every morning in hopes that a foreman would hire you for the day. Most didn't get picked. Lots of folks here worry about similar times happening again. It's good that you can speak your mind at work, but you might not always be able too. Some day, it may be more important to feed your family.

Maybe I was a little broad...there have been a couple times I had to shut and did. I was really speaking of trying from early on to always keep a skill in demand and be good at it to escape as much censorship as possible. Reason I picked Electro Mechanical fields NOT in industry.

My Dad was just married to my Mom in the beginning of the " big un " there were horror stories of how he was treated b/c he was handicap, had polio and lost most use of one arm. He shut up and worked, but once he was stable he started in local politics and was very hard to shut up.

Time and place I guess is the message.

But I been readin VS's stuff for a while and do not think he meant anything, just made a comment like probably all the people harping on him have made...difference he got caught.

:dunno:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There was a time in this country you went to the docks every morning in hopes that a foreman would hire you for the day. Most didn't get picked. Lots of folks here worry about similar times happening again.... Some day, it may be more important to feed your family.

Unfortunately, I sense this, too...

nickjames

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012

Very well said in my opinion.

People seem to want the freedom to dow and say what they please but do not afford that same freedom to to react to the same expression of freedom.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Last night at work we were talking about the Treyvon Martin shooting and got on a discussion about Al Sharpton in the news. I commented how I'd like to call him and tell him to come march here in my parish, and I'd make him a Martyre. Well I happened to be sitting on my mike and some black operators heard me and called my boss and filed a complaint. Got a call a while ago at the gun show from my boss telling me they are putting me on administrative leave pending an investigation. My new boss is also black, what are my chances. Does my personal feelings about Sharpton constitute that I should be fired? In 30 years in this industry, I have never been in trouble so now I'm worried that with all the racial tension, that I could loose my job over my freedom of speech. But in the corporate world nowadays a white man doesn't stand a chance when it come to racial division.

You said that you would kill a public figure because you disagreed with them, as far as I can tell. It has less to do with race than making terrorist type threats.

I would LOL if you wore a "Justice for Trayvon" hoodie to your meeting, though.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    But I been readin VS's stuff for a while and do not think he meant anything, just made a comment like probably all the people harping on him have made...difference he got caught.

I doubt that he really meant it as well, and I don't wish him ill at all. I'm just calling it the way I see it: If you run around spouting off that you'd kill someone, expect people to take exception to the idea. Expect people to be uncomfortable around you. Expect people to think that you don't need to own firearms. :dunno:

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Forget who the comment was about.
    If you say you want to invite someone to an event to kill them, I'd say that's grounds for a psyc evaluation.

Very poor choice by actually letting that come out of you mouth at work.
    Very Very bad luck to have it go out over the radio.

Freedom of speech does not include death threats.

Hope it works out for you.

Top Bottom