W.Va. student, school at odds over NRA T-shirt- leads to arrest

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yea, today I bought a raffle ticket for a school fundraiser from a coworker... one chance per day to win a gun for the 31 days in august.

School fund raiser, raffling off 31 long arms. Rifles, shotguns, single shots, bolt actions, semi-autos..

Schools gotta keep control though. What's good in one school isn't good for others.

what school is doing this fundraiser? i'll contribute

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Back in the day we use to wear stuff like this to school.

vintage-80s-1985-metallica-kill-em-all-metal-concert-tour-super-thin-t-shirt-s-15531446.jpg

Iron-Maiden-Benjamin-Breeg-Shirt-Front-Closeup.jpg

TST_1004_D_Testament_Lost_Souls__82087.1360080881.1280.1280.jpg

The most we ever got was an eye roll from the teacher.

The pussification of America. :(

Last edited:

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Minors do not have the same rights as adults, as explained by the Supreme Court many times.

And also explained by the Supreme Court many times is that a students right to political speech shall not be infringed.

A gun t-shirt qualifies in this political climate.

Most cases are from the 60s and involved hippies protesting the government.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    And also explained by the Supreme Court many times is that a students right to political speech shall not be infringed.

A gun t-shirt qualifies in this political climate.

Most cases are from the 60s and involved hippies protesting the government.

the argument being made (not by me, mind you) is that its no different than wearing a t-shirt that says "Bomb in Locker". You have the right to free speech, but try yelling bomb on an airplane...

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If I had a dollar for every time I had to turn a shirt inside out in school I'd be rich.

If I would have attended Jr and Sr year I may would have been able to retire after high school if this policy were in place.

My son's school has uniforms, but every time I go I purposefully wear t-shirts that have something to do with guns/America/patriotism/military, just 'cause I can.

I find more and more of my apparel is gun related, mostly from freebies. I don't like buying clothes, an then my own shirts mention guns a couple of times.

I read that the kid is back in school today, wearing the same shirt -- and some number of other kids are wearing same/similar shirts in support.

The principle stated Sunday that he was going to request that the charges be dropped, I don't know if this is the best strategy for the student. The point was already made. I don't see a problem with the shirt at school, but he won, the other side was giving up, and he went and poked them again.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The fact that this is even an issue is disturbing. If the kid wore a pro choice or a rainbow gay marriage shirt he would be lauded by the staff for being such a humanitarian. :rolleyes:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The fact that this is even an issue is disturbing. If the kid wore a pro choice or a rainbow gay marriage shirt he would be lauded by the staff for being such a humanitarian. :rolleyes:

And this^ is the difference; JNieman!

Some of you wouldn't have lasted a week at the Sr. Criminal High School I went to if you had to turn your shirts inside out at yours. :hs:

Last edited:

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    It's all about conditioning the future generations. The line between school and prison is wearing thin. Just in 1 generation look at how much has changed. How much freedom and liberty has been lost? Where do we draw the line and say enough is enough? Just like the teacher getting kids to write that they would give up some constitutional rights for safety n security, or teaching kids the Boston tea party was an act of terrorism. Our schools are becoming more n more liberal just as our country.
    'Murica: land of the fee and home of the slave

MOΛΩN ΛABE

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    And this^ is the difference; JNieman!

Some of you wouldn't have lasted a week at the Sr. Criminal High School I went to if you had to turn your shirts inside out at yours. :hs:
    So it's wrong because you have a made-up conclusion from a made-up situation where you made-up what you think would happen?

You're nuttier than Glenn Beck if that **** matters.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So it's wrong because you have a made-up conclusion from a made-up situation where you made-up what you think would happen?

You're nuttier than Glenn Beck if that **** matters.

I think you are combining the two sentences mistakenly. CEHollier's point is valid. These issues seem to almost always boil down to someone being selectively offended by the content they ideaologically oppose.

The second sentence was a scoff at schools(and the pusses that were in them), that made people actually turn their shirts around. Actual blood and guts hanging from your shirt was acceptable at that asylum I went to. :mamoru:

Last edited:

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Political speech is protected speech not yelling fire in a theater or bomb on an airplane or even bomb in locker. Seems to me in this climate a pro NRA shirt easily falls under political speech.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Charleston, WV is like any other metro area.....less conservative than the rural area but WEST VIRGINIA for pete's sakes?? NRA t-shirt is West Virginia is like seeing purple and gold around here.

Top Bottom