Wal-Mart Gun in hand....what would you do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do? Apparently Emotionally disturbed man with gun in Wal-Mart.

• I carry less-lethal and would attempt to use it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Assuming it was crowded, and the situation occurred as described...I would go with negotiation. Seeing as he wasn't waving the gun around in a crazy manner or acting aggressive otherwise, talking to him is the best course of action- it will probably relax him somewhat, perhaps distract him from an aggressive action, and may lead to a complete defusal of the situation altogether. (and, everyone else in the store has called 911 already).

Taking any aggressive course of action would almost certainly lead to a conflict/escalation. The guy is not aggressive now, he may be suicidal, and if you do something dumb you'll most likely scare/unbalance him further. Without training in this regard, I would recommend against pulling out a gun or other offensive/defensive weapon.

I'm surprised that the majority of the answers are for a more aggressive approach. Especially draw gun/give commands. I don't know what training/skills you may possess, but giving a deranged person a command, especially when you don't have backup? That's a suicide route for certain- the guy is deranged by nature of not acting rationally.

The only good options in this situation are retreat or negotiate.

Last edited:

Cocked

Feeling Cocky
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Anybody walking around walmart in their undies is not there for a gun fight, if he walks out the bathroom half naked asking for help and drops his weapon, I would immediately step up and remove that weapon from his reach.

Edit, besides he had "clips" in his hand which obviously meant that he had no idea how to load a 9mm pistol.

Last edited:

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    Suburbazine,
    With a gun and two mags in wal mart at 1AM while wearing boxers. It's more likley that he is there to do violence than not. Suicide does not need reloads. I'd not fault anyone that choose to be aggressive with him, his actions are at least provocatively aggressive.
    W

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Assuming it was crowded, and the situation occurred as described...I would go with negotiation. Seeing as he wasn't waving the gun around in a crazy manner or acting aggressive otherwise, talking to him is the best course of action- it will probably relax him somewhat, perhaps distract him from an aggressive action, and may lead to a complete defusal of the situation altogether. (and, everyone else in the store has called 911 already).

Taking any aggressive course of action would almost certainly lead to a conflict/escalation. The guy is not aggressive now, he may be suicidal, and if you do something dumb you'll most likely scare/unbalance him further. Without training in this regard, I would recommend against pulling out a gun or other offensive/defensive weapon.

I'm surprised that the majority of the answers are for a more aggressive approach. Especially draw gun/give commands. I don't know what training/skills you may possess, but giving a deranged person a command, especially when you don't have backup? That's a suicide route for certain- the guy is deranged by nature of not acting rationally.

The only good options in this situation are retreat or negotiate.

If he is mental ill or suicidal, what makes you think he would not just kill you?

Is someone who is willing to take their own life somehow incapable of taking yours?

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If he is mental ill or suicidal, what makes you think he would not just kill you?

Is someone who is willing to take their own life somehow incapable of taking yours?

Is he? I didn't see anything in the report that he was pointing the gun at anyone, or even acting remotely aggressive, besides having the gun in his hands. The moment he makes even a slight motion of bringing the weapon to bear, is the moment I run or take him down. Remember, this question is based merely on what the news report offers- which portrayed him in a non-aggressive light. If I was there in person, I would evaluate the situation dynamically and make decisions based on real-time knowledge.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    The common response here seems to be "Assess for more information.".

As usual, reasonable people choose to act reasonably. No one really wants to shoot someone.

Be nice to hear more on this case.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Is he? I didn't see anything in the report that he was pointing the gun at anyone, or even acting remotely aggressive, besides having the gun in his hands. The moment he makes even a slight motion of bringing the weapon to bear, is the moment I run or take him down. Remember, this question is based merely on what the news report offers- which portrayed him in a non-aggressive light. If I was there in person, I would evaluate the situation dynamically and make decisions based on real-time knowledge.

Don't think your ( or any of us) reaction could beat his action if he did decide to shoot, but fair enough on the rest.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I think it would depend on how the guy was holding the gun. If he were obviously threatening, it would draw a harsher response than if he were holding it by the barrel with 2 fingers like it was a dead fish.

However, I picked 2 with the intent of combining 1 and 2. I'm not a trained LEO, but I'd have trouble with myself if I knowingly abandoned defenseless people in a situation that I could have helped them. I'd also want to be in communication with 911 just to be sure that any responding LEO don't shoot me by mistake.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    After I called 911, I would have my hand on my gun and be set up to draw and fire in an instant if need be and shadow him at a distance that would still allow me to take a shot if needed.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    He's in the bathroom right now... Question: which way does the door open? If it opens out, how about finding something to jam the door shut? That way he's contained until the police arrive. They can toss concussion grenades over the wall and through the suspended ceilings and stun him until he's unconcious.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    He's in the bathroom right now... Question: which way does the door open? If it opens out, how about finding something to jam the door shut? That way he's contained until the police arrive. They can toss concussion grenades over the wall and through the suspended ceilings and stun him until he's unconcious.

:eek3::eek3:

God I wish that was even possible.

LOL:D

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    "This is the info you have... Let's assume you are alone."

He went into the restroom SO:

If unarmed: GTFO. Take as many people out the front or back door as you can and hide behind a steel dumpster... I believe A handgun round will go through all that China Mart <(R)@p with great ease so cover is not good. Concealment is defeated by store design, Anti-shoplifting, if said nut-job goes walkabout.

If armed: If in the check out line and this guy comes toward you "with a 9-millimeter handgun and two fully loaded clips in his hand". Watch his hands, hands kill. And no second guessing that uber deep concealment method and unchambered gun now No No.. Heres the ambush you were told about, no do-overs like in skool.

Elevate to code RED from yellow (or white :)) and as he went into the restroom because you are a total code white looser and missed the threat untill it chose to enter the restroom, take cover and keep eyes on the doorway while you call it to 911. Or:

Confront the armed man with deadly force if threatened with same. And when the wife asks why you took 10 hours to get one friggin gallon of milk at 2AM, you can stand there with a blown up milk jug, cap still sealed and all, and tell her how you shot a man who threatened you with a gun... She will still be pissed about the milk, BTW.Or:

You and your gun could be the first ones out the door because he had 'That' look in his eyes and you know you are not that good a shot. All those paper targets rarely shot back, and those were probably ricochets, this nut-job has at least 20 rounds, likely 45 to 52. Can you say "International News Event".

Thinking out loud:

Scenes like this attract rubber-neckers, it would be nice to clear them away form the line of fire if he comes out blasting, like he probably was contemplating. On his timeline BTW.

Shoppers and clerks will likely be processing or just ignore the danger outright and not abandon their baskets quickly enough to preserve their lives. Fight or Flight manifests as Freeze all too often. It's to a mass killers' advantage.

They may try to go the another checkout farther down the row or retreat but still watch the "show" as reality 'does not include a FMJ in my body. I don't deserve to be a victim.'

If no one is acting to clear the on-lookers, I'd probably command them to drop everything and leave the area as I too retreat, people will listen when told by someone who looks to be in charge. I cannot see me pulling out a gun preparing for a fight with so many unknowns all arround.

Out of the store if possible, distance is your friend. Call 911, give exact info on perp location, clothes or lack thereof, and if you are still in play that you are legally armed awaiting the Police. Your description and shirt color and ask police dispatcher to repeat that back.

You missed a clear oportunity to quietly grab the milk and walk out while everyone is freaked out with the armed crazy.

Everybody's thinking so negative. "Oh, I might have to shoot this guy. Where are the exits? What about the innocent bystanders?"

I'm thinking. "Hey, free steel shot. That ****'s expensive."

Last edited:

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    R U Sure?

Suicide does not need reloads. I'd not fault anyone that choose to be aggressive with him, his actions are at least provocatively aggressive.
    W[/QUOTE]

Can't say I agree with the comment Suicidal folks do not need reloads, or extra mags .There have been a couple of cases in Tangapohia Parish where sheriff deputies have come across apparent suicide victims who happend to shoot themselves 8-9times in the head ,front ,side, and back with a colt 45 semi. They defenitly had to reload!
    How do you explain that? LOL

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville

This sounds like something I saw in a movie. :cool: Come to think of it, probably more than one movie.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You missed a clear oportunity to quietly grab the milk and walk out while everyone is freaked out with the armed crazy.

Everybody's thinking so negative. "Oh, I might have to shoot this guy. Where are the exits? What about the innocent bystanders?"

I'm thinking. "Hey, free steel shot. That ****'s expensive."

Hey, if I'm going to shoplift, then I'd find something more expensive than steel shot! I'm grabbing a big screen from electronics and going out the back!
    Actually, at Walmart its almost worth screaming 'There's a man with a gun' just to avoid spending a half hour in line! I used to go buy ammo just to avoid the front lines. Now the ammo is more expensive than what I'm probably there to buy!

Oh, btw, if he's only there to commit suicide with an audience then let him. The only person I would call would be the cleanup crew...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom