Wal-Mart Gun in hand....what would you do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do? Apparently Emotionally disturbed man with gun in Wal-Mart.

• I carry less-lethal and would attempt to use it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Suicide does not need reloads. I'd not fault anyone that choose to be aggressive with him, his actions are at least provocatively aggressive.
    W

Can't say I agree with the comment Suicidal folks do not need reloads, or extra mags .There have been a couple of cases in Tangapohia Parish where sheriff deputies have come across apparent suicide victims who happend to shoot themselves 8-9times in the head ,front ,side, and back with a colt 45 semi. They defenitly had to reload!
    How do you explain that? LOL[/QUOTE]

Easy to explain...poor shot placement!:rofl:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Mix between 1 and 2, and following him around at a distance. I would not draw until he acted aggressively.

Maybe 3 if I was having an adrenaline dump.

I don't know.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I picked #2 but would do #1 also. If it got to a point that he was going to hurt anyone I would take action if not I would lay low with gun in hand outta sight.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    165656992_92c7aef526.jpg

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I like you answer, being that you are an LEO it's probably the only right answer for you. However, as a normal everyday dude I think i would try and create distance, try and find some kind of cover without loosing sight of the guy and discreetly call 911 and then prepare myself to draw.

This is more what I was thinking.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    withdraw + call 911 for the win.

I'd like to add, since this is a hypothetical scenario with unlimited possibility, that I would also win the powerball and encounter the swedish bikini team - all of whom like middle aged italians and would show their appreciation for me telling them about the crazy guy in ways that the site TOS prevent me from describing.

If you win the powerball, you would encounter the Swedish bikini team.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I like you answer, being that you are an LEO it's probably the only right answer for you. However, as a normal everyday dude I think i would try and create distance, try and find some kind of cover without loosing sight of the guy and discreetly call 911 and then prepare myself to draw.

Actually, if actinf as LEO, I would probably go #4.

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    IMO, and the way I think, I'd rather make sure that this man could not ham anyone. whether it be there in Wally World, or in the streets. My course of action as a resposible citizen would be to call 911 and then approach in a non-violent, non-threatening way (possibly unnoticed from behind) and disarm the assailant. Once disarmed, subduing him should be easier, and the weapon could be unloaded and racked open for the LEO's to take possession of when they arrive, which, in myh experiene, could take anywhere around 10 minutes to an hour, depending on what else is going on and where the Wally World is located.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I am in no way obligated to do anything but bug out! I am leaving know some of the other 50 others with cells to their freakin ear will see it eventually and call someone..

I am not assuming liability for this jackass.. I am leaving and thanking god that another day went that I didnt have to kill someone else!

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    With family: i would; hand on gun, create distance using cover and concealment and continue to move till we safely unassed the area. Protection of primary's is my only mission.

Alone: Prolly gain cover, draw gun, prepare for possible confrontation. would hate to think i left unarmed folks in there had he started shooting. Prolly would not; "draw gun, give verbal commands, try to get him to drop gun" or "approach and try to talk to him". I am not a LEO, as a civilian if i need to draw my weapon it is because; i need to defend myself or others from a deadly threat...if i draw; bad guy/s are getting a lot of .45 as close to center mass as i can manage.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    IMO, and the way I think, I'd rather make sure that this man could not ham anyone. whether it be there in Wally World, or in the streets. My course of action as a resposible citizen would be to call 911 and then approach in a non-violent, non-threatening way (possibly unnoticed from behind) and disarm the assailant. Once disarmed, subduing him should be easier, and the weapon could be unloaded and racked open for the LEO's to take possession of when they arrive, which, in myh experiene, could take anywhere around 10 minutes to an hour, depending on what else is going on and where the Wally World is located.

I applaud your desire to avoid gunfire, but do you really think this course of action is possible for an average singular person to accomplish? :eek3:

I mean seriously, by the mere fact that the guy is in Wal-Mart wearing only boxers carrying a firearm,(i know, neither necessarily a crime in and of themselves) one has to assume a certain level of either, intoxication, drug impairment, or mental illness.

That said, any attempt at a rational or logical conclusion is almost non existent and only an opportunity of chance.

Through all of the hostage and crisis negotiation training and experience I have, which includes a couple of suicides which worked out, and some which did not, this sounds, based on the information given as a emotionally disturbed person. best case outcome is that police arrive, and he gives up; worst case, police arrive and he commits suicide by cop.

The opportunity still exists that anyone approaching him could create a "suicide by xxxxx".

Am I saying it is impossible for someone, anyone, to talk him down? No, but it is highly unlikely. Furthermore, there seems to be a thought that somehow, by watching him intently, you will be able to out draw, or even when drawn, out shoot him if he "makes a move" That is just not what statistics prove.

In almost every class I teach, I do a little exercise where I give the students nerf balls, and I tell them to throw them at the actor at the point they think the Bg has crossed their personal "line in the sand." Inevitably, they almost never shoot.

Many attribute their hesitation to such things like "his finger wasn't on the trigger, he never racked the slide back, he was waving it, but never directly at me." While to the uninitiated, that makes sense.

Then, I tell them to **** back, I tell them I am definitely going to shoot you, and at the point I "Make a threatening move", "shoot.

100% of the time, my action beats their reaction. Even though they had the knowledge that the average CHP holder or LEO will not have, the FACT that you will get shot.

To think that you can outdraw or even pull the trigger on a drawn gun before he makes the decision to shoot is a common misnomer. I have been involved in hundreds of military and leo simunitions exercises, and again, the reaction loses everytime, even under ridiculously beneficial circumstances for the GG.

That is why I included the option to be discreetly drawn. that way, you are hopefully not a direct target, but if he starts shooting, then you can possibly return fire.

Furthermore, to think you have anychance to overpower someone who is mentally ill or on narcotics is foolish at best. there are countless videos, la Rodney King, where multiple officers and/or baton strikes cannot subdue.

i know it works in the movies, but any other LEO have experience dealing with EDP or talking armed people down?

If you have not already, I highly advise you subscribe to the Force Science newsletter. they do a great job of defending LEO and others in shooting situations where complicated issues like multiple shots, back shots, and timeframe analysis, could mean the difference between innocent or guilty. Great info for a anyone who carries a gun.

http://www.forcescience.org/

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    With family: i would; hand on gun, create distance using cover and concealment and continue to move till we safely unassed the area. Protection of primary's is my only mission.

Alone: Prolly gain cover, draw gun, prepare for possible confrontation. would hate to think i left unarmed folks in there had he started shooting. Prolly would not; "draw gun, give verbal commands, try to get him to drop gun" or "approach and try to talk to him". I am not a LEO, as a civilian if i need to draw my weapon it is because; i need to defend myself or others from a deadly threat...if i draw; bad guy/s are getting a lot of .45 as close to center mass as i can manage.

I agree.

Family changes everything and take priority.

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    ....Furthermore, to think you have anychance to overpower someone who is mentally ill or on narcotics is foolish at best. there are countless videos, la Rodney King, where multiple officers and/or baton strikes cannot subdue.

i know it works in the movies, but any other LEO have experience dealing with EDP or talking armed people down?

http://www.forcescience.org/

StevenSeagal1.gif

This man could. :rofl:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Doesn't walmart sell battery chargers? A few CR123's and a charger and I should be able to level part of the building and dig him out later...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom