Want to build a private range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Thanks for the advice. I would not buy something if I was worried it could put me in a bad financial situation. Obviously I have no idea how much money I will actually have in 4 years, or what the housing market and interest rates will be. I was just trying to get some preliminary figures and ideas to keep in mi d for when I do start making money. I do also plan on saving a portion of my income for for savings and emergency funds.

As for only living once, that is true, and I would not mind traveling more. I spent around a month in Israel this summer, and loved it. I plan to make a return trip at some point in the next few years. I made a number of friends there and want to see them again. My family also owns a house in Mexico, which is an amazing place to visit. The problem with Mexico is a flight costs around $700-$800 last time I checked, which is rediculous considering it is only a 2 hour flight from Houston.

The reason I am interested in doing this is because I see it providing me long term enjoyment. If someone else wants to do something similar, I would be happy to save the work and risk and pay some dues. The thing is, I enjoy accomplishing things and then reserving the reward. In this case I don't mean financial reward.

Honestly the best way to do it may be as some sort of co-op. Yes, that would involve trusting other people for funds, but it may actually solve a number of other issues. This is all theoretical. Lets say 20 people got together and created a co-op. Since everyone using the range would be part owner, I assume there would be less issues with permits or taxes. I could be wrong, but since it's not public or for profit I assume you would have less hurtles to jump through. So then each person invests $10k to be part of the group along with $500 a year in maintanance fees. If someone wants out they can sell their portion to anyone that receives a 3/4 vote approval from the other owners. So that would allow for $200k for the initial land and construction, and $10k a year to keep it up. I have no idea if $200k is enough, or if a co-op circumvents any legal issues with building a range.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I went down this road and ran into some knowledgeable people who had experience with this. Just buy some land (you can never go wrong with that), where you know it is legal to shoot firearms, and keep it your little secret!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Thanks for the advice. I would not buy something if I was worried it could put me in a bad financial situation. Obviously I have no idea how much money I will actually have in 4 years, or what the housing market and interest rates will be. I was just trying to get some preliminary figures and ideas to keep in mi d for when I do start making money. I do also plan on saving a portion of my income for for savings and emergency funds.

As for only living once, that is true, and I would not mind traveling more. I spent around a month in Israel this summer, and loved it. I plan to make a return trip at some point in the next few years. I made a number of friends there and want to see them again. My family also owns a house in Mexico, which is an amazing place to visit. The problem with Mexico is a flight costs around $700-$800 last time I checked, which is rediculous considering it is only a 2 hour flight from Houston.

The reason I am interested in doing this is because I see it providing me long term enjoyment. If someone else wants to do something similar, I would be happy to save the work and risk and pay some dues. The thing is, I enjoy accomplishing things and then reserving the reward. In this case I don't mean financial reward.

Honestly the best way to do it may be as some sort of co-op. Yes, that would involve trusting other people for funds, but it may actually solve a number of other issues. This is all theoretical. Lets say 20 people got together and created a co-op. Since everyone using the range would be part owner, I assume there would be less issues with permits or taxes. I could be wrong, but since it's not public or for profit I assume you would have less hurtles to jump through. So then each person invests $10k to be part of the group along with $500 a year in maintanance fees. If someone wants out they can sell their portion to anyone that receives a 3/4 vote approval from the other owners. So that would allow for $200k for the initial land and construction, and $10k a year to keep it up. I have no idea if $200k is enough, or if a co-op circumvents any legal issues with building a range.

The problem then becomes finding the 20 people and the land in an area agreeable to all of them. In that small of a section the land is likely to be 2k an acre or greater, especially if you want anything dry. Once you add in the cost of the road, parking, berms, etc. it adds up quickly.

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    So what I am hearing is, I would be looking at under $30k. If I could buy 10 sq. acres in a line I would have a nice length area to shoot on. At $2k an acre that is $20k. I am sure there would be fees, taxes, and paying someone to dump a load of dirt down and pack it into a mound. If I was doing it myself I would just throw a park bench down and call it a day. Lets throw other people into the mix I would build some sort of overhang with individual bench rests. So lets say $50k to make it a bit nicer. I would still leave out running water. You can use the toilet at home and bring an ice chest for water. At $50k you wouldn't need to find 20 people all in the same area. 10 could cover it easily enough. That would $5k a person. I could only imagine the group buy posting for that.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So what I am hearing is, I would be looking at under $30k. If I could buy 10 sq. acres in a line I would have a nice length area to shoot on. At $2k an acre that is $20k. I am sure there would be fees, taxes, and paying someone to dump a load of dirt down and pack it into a mound. If I was doing it myself I would just throw a park bench down and call it a day. Lets throw other people into the mix I would build some sort of overhang with individual bench rests. So lets say $50k to make it a bit nicer. I would still leave out running water. You can use the toilet at home and bring an ice chest for water. At $50k you wouldn't need to find 20 people all in the same area. 10 could cover it easily enough. That would $5k a person. I could only imagine the group buy posting for that.

That depends almost entirely on the area you're in and the local laws. I can tell you 10 acres is really small in the scheme of things and getting it laid out to work with that small piece of land may be difficult.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Another huge potential problem is NEIGHBORS . If they don't like the sound of gunfire , they can make big problems for you . Ten acres is not enough land to get a good seperation from a crappy neighbor .

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Some coworkers and I have been playing around with the idea of opening a range so we would have somewhere to shoot as well. Forget anywhere in Jefferson Parish, unless you want a small indoor range. A little bias here since it's where I live, consider western St. Tammany Parish. Honey Island swamp is the closest to me but only open on the weekends. I would kill for something more convenient that I could visit whenever I wanted. Personally, I would go with the idea of a private club. I would most definitely be interested if it were a good deal. I'd be willing to to invest some sweat equity into a range as well.
    Just some quick thoughts.. you would need enough of a buffer zone to keep neighboors happy. How long of a range do you want? I read of a 600 yard range somewhere in Mississippi. That distance, you're looking at a little over 3 tenths of a mile, if I did my math correctly. Maybe start checking out some listings for land for sale to get an idea of what the going price is. Of course this will depend on the location. https://www.louisianalandbank.com/default.htm
    You're right, you will have to deal with the EPA, zoning, and local ordinaces. The headache might be worth it if you get your goal.
    I miss the days of going to the spillway, finding a spot away from everything and setting up some targets and shooting. I didn't know the NRA offered a class range development class. It probably would be a good idea to attend it. hell, I think I might even sit in on one just to get the information.
    Keeps us posted.

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Oh, another thought. Consider buying as much land as you can get your hands on. Start out with a small firing range. Clearing too much land at once will break you. Maybe set up a 100 yard range and then expand it once things get going.

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Damn you guys, shattering my attempt to keep this dream affordable. Well dream may be a stretch, but whatever. I guess I will just have to start begging people to get me into Palo Alto. I should also start saving up for a Prius or Volt so the gas costs of getting there isn't so atrocious. Even at 60mi/gallon I would be looking at $8 to drive out to the range. Funny how I complain about $7 in gas but not $20k in land.

I may end up moving out of the city in a few years, but I doubt it. I do know I will leave Metairie. I am not a fan of the suburbs. If I stay here I would like to move into Orleans, maybe around City Park. I would much rather live in the city, or a distance outside of the city than in Metairie. It doesn't provide open space like rural area, or any worthwhile actives and events like in the city. But thats just my take on Metairie. I don't like the French Quarter or Mardi Gras very much, but I do like the feel of New Orleans, and might miss it if I moved outside of the city. However I do like space and have a lot of ideas for a house that I simply could not afford in the city. So as far as where I will live after moving out, I have no idea. What I do know is I could not fit a home theater in a house in the city.

Right now I go to Nicks when I have the time to shoot (not often), and 100yards is enough. It have a few AKs and ARs along with a number of other short/medium range weapons. I would eventually like to buy a Remington 700 or something similar to try out some longer ranged shooting. The problem is, I have no where to do it. Plus like I mentioned in my first post, it would be nice to not have to worry about having other people on the line with me. I guess I will have to hang up the idea for now. Honestly I would be surprised if I could find 20 people in the area to go in $5k each. I am sure I could find a suitable piece of property for that. But to be honest, that is way outside of what I would be willing to spend on my own. For $100K I could afford to drive to Donaldsonville every day for over 30 years. I know that doesn't account for range fees, but you get the idea. If anyone here happens to be a member of Palo Alto and want to give me a reference I would appreciate it.

I guess I should rename this thread "Someone please build a long outdoor range near New Orleans" So please someone do that, and put me on the list.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Just for some perspective, 1 square mile is 640 acres.

If you do actually get an idea turned into a plan let me know and I might be interested.

Last edited:

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Yeah, that is kind of what I figured. People would more likely be interested in putting money into something that actually had a tangible location and something to show on it. I messaged nolaradio my interested to join him at an NRA shooting range event if he finds out about one. I definitely feel there is a need for a nicer place to shoot around here. I just need to figure out a way to make that happen.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Yeah, that is kind of what I figured. People would more likely be interested in putting money into something that actually had a tangible location and something to show on it. I messaged nolaradio my interested to join him at an NRA shooting range event if he finds out about one. I definitely feel there is a need for a nicer place to shoot around here. I just need to figure out a way to make that happen.

Yeah, unfortunately you can't find west texas prices here. You can find it at 50 dollars an acre out there

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Damn you guys, shattering my attempt to keep this dream affordable. Well dream may be a stretch, but whatever. I guess I will just have to start begging people to get me into Palo Alto. I should also start saving up for a Prius or Volt so the gas costs of getting there isn't so atrocious. Even at 60mi/gallon I would be looking at $8 to drive out to the range. Funny how I complain about $7 in gas but not $20k in land.

Instead of being discouraged, take it as a challenge. I thinknthe general consensus is that your timeline appears slightly unrealistic. After you have secured a position determine a realistic timeframe and amountbof funds that can be set aside. When you begin to near your goal start looking for available property that suits your needs.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    http://rangeservices.nra.org/ <---more there

Shooting Range Services

Kumbrabow Shooting Range

How can NRA help your Range?

NRA Range Services offers a number of resources to public and private ranges across the country including on-site assistance, educational seminars, grants and much more.

NRA Range Technical Team: Providing on-site assistance to shooting range facilities

The NRA Range Technical Team is a nationwide network of volunteers trained in the field of shooting range development, design, and operations. Services provided by Range Technical Team Advisors (RTTAs) include:
    •range planning assistance
    •range use and procedural evaluations
    •range safety and design evaluations

NRA Range Development & Operations Conferences

The NRA Range Development & Operations Conference is designed to educate potential and current range owners and operators in identifying potential problems associated with range development, environmental issues, and safety.

The NRA Range Source Book: NRA's guide to planning and constructing shooting ranges

Recently revised in 2012, the NRA Range Source Book provides both basic and advanced guidance to assist in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of shooting range facilities. The source book discusses methods and technologies which may result in a fuller use of range operations.

Apply for an NRA Range Grant

NRA has a variety of grant programs available for Range Improvements through both the NRA and the NRA Foundation. If you are a club range, public shooting facility, or conduct shooting programs for the public, you may be eligible to receive funds to improve your range.

Get On The Map!

Register your range for FREE on the NRA National Registry of Places to Shoot! Anyone looking to visit a range in their area will be able to search you through the National Registry of Places to Shoot available through Find NRA Near You.

For more information, explore the links in the left-hand menu or contact NRA Range Services today at (877) NRA RANGE (672-7264) or via email at range@nrahq.org.

BROUGHT TO YOU BY
    NRA Sports

Top Bottom