What are you currently driving? Show picture's!!! Let's have fun with this!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    05 Tacoma 4x4
    06 1000RR

also have a Ducati M696 and a CBR Frankenstein bike that i put together. no pics yet.
    IMG_20110211_170426.jpg

Attachments

• 2009-06-07 14.41.57-1.jpg
      2009-06-07 14.41.57-1.jpg
      101.4 KB · Views: 88

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Gotta disagree here. Name a non gm rear axle that is more durable than the 14ff and d70 gm uses in 3/4 up trucks?
    Name any truck manufacturer with better transmission than gm.
    Name an engine that is better than any gm truck engine in the long run.
    You can't.
    10 bolt rear ends were never meant to support huge tires or tow with.
    Gm ifs was designed for comfort and is plenty strong in stock configuration.

The majority of problems come when people modify (lift) or tow beyond their capabilities and half ass it just to get by. Think lift blocks, cv spacers, etc

And no, I don't even have a gm truck anymore but there is a reason they are the most common donor vehicles for any project. Simple, durable, cheap and easy.

I agree, my escalade rides just fine and can tow quite a bit with zero problems. The 6.2 liter is probably more than I need but it sure does sound good when I start it up. My only issue is that the wheel studs are fairly weak, had to replace a few already but then again my wheel combo is fairly heavy....

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Gotta disagree here. Name a non gm rear axle that is more durable than the 14ff and d70 gm uses in 3/4 up trucks? Dana
    Name any truck manufacturer with better transmission than gm. Allison
    Name an engine that is better than any gm truck engine in the long run. Cummins
    You can't. Just did
    10 bolt rear ends were never meant to support huge tires or tow with.
    Gm ifs was designed for comfort and is plenty strong in stock configuration. Trucks should be designed to work first
    The majority of problems come when people modify (lift) or tow beyond their capabilities and half ass it just to get by. Think lift blocks, cv spacers, etc

And no, I don't even have a gm truck anymore but there is a reason they are the most common donor vehicles for any project. Simple, durable, cheap and easy.

Anything else you'd like me to point out???

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Dana axles offered in gm for many years, and still are in models above 1 ton. Which dana axle are you referring to? Some were extremely weak.
    Allison? Ummm, which manufacturer offers allison transmissions in light duty trucks? Gm
    Cummins? The one thing that dodge ever got right, but the rest will disintegrate around the engine.

Designed to work? Ok, and each has their purpose. Half ton trucks may pull 10k but none will last very long doing it. Which aspect of the drivetrain would you like to dissect and blame? Yes, there are failures in every make, but people get pissed when their diff blows at 120k even though they never changed the oil and had 37* tires on it. Mad about that trans biting the dust with almost 100k on the clock? Maybe you didn’t realize that pulling a 8k trailer in overdrive cross country with no trans cooler was a bad idea.

Here is a basic breakdown covering the last 20 years or so:
    Dodge- irrelevant until 94 because they were so damn ugly. First step in the right direction was bringing the detuned cumins 6bt into the light truck market a few years before getting a decent body. Only problem was, the truck literally falls apart around the engine (and still does). Cummins is still good but is now far behind its competition in terms of power and fuel economy. Auto trans behind it is junk also. Made a decent engine again with the hemi (nostalgia and names sell) but in truth it is over complicated and expensive and still has Chrysler wiring. Wiring has always been an issue for the company an once there is a wiring problem, it is not long before anything with the star sees the crusher unless the owner has really deep pockets and likes waiting on the side of the road for the tow truck. Dodge is also the only maker to have a 15k differential oil change life for a reason, their axles are junk unless supplied by another maker like dana.

Ford- by far the best and most durable body/ chassis setup. Heavier weight and poor ride are the other side of that along with worse fuel mileage compared to gm (dodge always had poor mileage and still does when compared to its rivals). Always had a valid diesel until the 6.0 and later, current engines are still somewhat unknown but people were scared off by the last 2-3 failures and look elsewhere now. Always made their own rear axles and most are fairly good, transmissions are a different story.

GM- by far the most popular to use in upgrades due to simplicity and cost when compared to longevity and ease of use for a reason, simple works. Still using push rod engines and getting better fuel mileage and power numbers than the guys with the *modern* stuff. Ifs in 4wd starting in 1988- rides better and in stock form is as durable as the competition, yet when modified can be a load of problems. Many times it is the modifier’s fault, a cv shaft designed to operate at 15 degrees is not going to last long at 30 degrees. 10 bolt rear alxes are not that great for anything other than regular driving and don’t like big tires or power, but do serve their purpose when used as they were intended. Auto transmissions not particulary strong, but again in unmodified and normal treatment serve their intended purpose well enough. Small block engines: without a doubt the most widely used engine around for many reasons. Gm has kept things simple for a long time- remember when every engine and transmission had the same mounting whether it was a 4cyl car or a big block truck= simplicity.
    Some low pints:
    gm; 6.2 diesel- it was designed for economy and got twice the mileage in a truck than other engines of the time, it was not meant to make big power or tow, ever. Auto trans with overdrive- needed better factory cooling and needed owners that would service them like the manual says.
    Dodge; everything before 94 with cummins exception starting around 90. Poor interior plastic, still a problem. Poor rear axles. Poor transmissions, especially the electronic versions.
    Ford; 6.0 and newer diesels. E4od trans.

As a side note, none of them make their own transfer cases or front axles or manual transmissions.
    As always said, the people need a ford body with a cummins and Allison under it!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Progressive, some remain some don't

And like TopGuz I was shocked at the acceleration and handling of this Volkswagen.

Attachments

• jetta3.jpg
      jetta3.jpg
      129.4 KB · Views: 77
    • sea.jpg
      sea.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 101
    • dirty mustang.jpg
      dirty mustang.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 99
    • IMG_0259.jpg
      IMG_0259.jpg
      134.2 KB · Views: 71
    • bird.jpg
      bird.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 81
    Last edited:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Looking on my phone but PTO?

You could probably call it that for the sheer amount of torque that can be dropped through it at the drop of a pin, but not quite a PTO. If you've looked under a GMT800 (99-06 GM) truck you would know that the transmission crossmember doesn't look like that :D

I launch at 4500RPM.
    burnout.gif

Last edited:
    Top Bottom