What are your reasons to OC?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    But still, I think the people who call 911 for OC are morons.

Not morons, simply uneducated regarding the legality. They have been influenced by TV and movies to think anyone except cops having guns is BAD.
    The mission of LOCAL is to educate the public about this right so as to prevent these 911 calls AND to educate LE so that when officers respond to such 911 calls they know the facts and don't infringe on a citizen's rights or set themselves or their department up for a complaint or lawsuit.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I think a big problem with the OC is that you better pay attention to your surroundings. If someone robs something just know you will be the first Target for a bad guy. I have no problem with it but think CC just let's you choose to intervene or not. Especially if you are wearing a duty belt similar to LE.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Comfort and convience. Simple as that. Pick up gun belt. Swing it on and snap buckle. Adjust were everything is and go. When I'm ready to take everything off just unbuckle gun belt, place it next to bed or car trunk or whereever, and move on whatever I'm doing.
    steveinyardfeb2011a.jpg

steveinyardfeb2011b.jpg

You look like the police with that on. Have you ever been stopped by the police wearing that?

JR1572

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    You definitely lose the element of surprise with OC. I would rather blend in and move along with my life than getting the extra attention/hassle that goes along with OC. To each his own.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    You look like the police with that on. Have you ever been stopped by the police wearing that?

JR1572

No. They don't have a monoply on pistol belts. I carry a pistol. I carry it in a triple retention holster. I carry OC (not to be confused with Open C) and I carry a radio. I have a spare mag and carry it in a mag case. Why shouldn't I carry it on a belt designed to carry such equiptment?

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I OC because...

... once in a blue moon, my shirt tail rides up and falls between the M&P and my hip, leaving the pistol exposed.

Every now and again, it comes in handy. When I just need to grab something from the car at night, I might go out shirtless-- but not unarmed. It's not something I'd do every day, but I have found the ability to OC a convenience and reassurance.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    No. They don't have a monoply on pistol belts. I carry a pistol. I carry it in a triple retention holster. I carry OC (not to be confused with Open C) and I carry a radio. I have a spare mag and carry it in a mag case. Why shouldn't I carry it on a belt designed to carry such equiptment?

Why the radio? Not trying to flame, just curious.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Because I've always carried it. I've been a radio hobbiest and SW and scanner listener since my teens. I've been a Ham since 1995. Always have my radios with me. Why not?

No reason. I'm not a radio hobbyist so I just genuinely didnt know why one is needed in the age of cell phones.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Comfort and convience. Simple as that. Pick up gun belt. Swing it on and snap buckle. Adjust were everything is and go. When I'm ready to take everything off just unbuckle gun belt, place it next to bed or car trunk or whereever, and move on whatever I'm doing.
    steveinyardfeb2011a.jpg

steveinyardfeb2011b.jpg

Get a bush knife and clean that fence row while you're just standing around. :D

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I do not open carry. I do conceal carry every day. I like knowing if my gun was somehow showing, I would not be charged with open carry.

I am glad the option exists. If someone suddenly needed to carry and didnt have a permit, they have a legal option. New residents being a great example.

A few OCers carry with an agenda. Thats not for me. But still, I think the people who call 911 for OC are morons.

If I carry openly (other than "off road") it's usually because I started out carrying concealed and had to take off my "cover garment" for some reason.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Because I've always carried it. I've been a radio hobbiest and SW and scanner listener since my teens. I've been a Ham since 1995. Always have my radios with me. Why not?

Are you the guy who works hospital security? Part of your uniform?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Guns have always been a part of my life, having grown up in a very pro-gun family.

I think one of the things many people overlook when it comes to this issue is that not everyone lives in- or spends much time in- an urban environment. I think I have been to the Mall of LA one time since it's been open; it's just not my thing.

In my normal setting, OC isn't a big issue- because most people won't give it a second glance. In other words, I'm not likely to encounter a group of gun-illiterate, hysterical soccer moms on a normal day.

I understand the argument to a degree- but I've never understood why some seemingly have a bigger problem with legal activity (such as OC) than the real problems like felons who magically get their grubby hands on guns ILLEGALLY over and over again.

In short, I don't think this is a "one size fits all" issue.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Both

Ok

I often open carry my G27 and also have my LCR also in an ankle holster tucked away under long pants.

Not always but many times!

Anybody else carry a couple of weapons beside me lol?

Just in case of SHTF situation?

Oh And I almost forgot the 22MAG Derringer in my back pocket:}

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    steveinyardfeb2011a.jpg

steveinyardfeb2011b.jpg

Yale, what do you do when you have to wear a jacket? Do you just make sure the jacket doesn't cover the gun or do you have a CHP for situations like that? If you do have a CHP, how do you recommend other people to openly carry their handguns with a jacket?

BRBrett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    For now I'm just keeping a gun in my truck. I don't want to deal with getting disarmed by an officer who won't reconsider and contact his supervisor for clarification on the law. I think that regardless of carry style there should be an effort to make the public aware of gun laws in general not just one option. OC is a great thing but educating the people on that alone isn't the way in my opinion to inform the public. The better thing would be to inform everyone on all of the gun laws in Louisiana.

my .02

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    ....I like knowing if my gun was somehow showing, I would not be charged with open carry......
    QUOTE]

Not sure if the Ghettoport you speak of is Shreveport, but you can't be "Charged" for a legal activity.

Open Carry is perfectly legal here in Louisiana.

Dirty

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Yale, what do you do when you have to wear a jacket? Do you just make sure the jacket doesn't cover the gun or do you have a CHP for situations like that? If you do have a CHP, how do you recommend other people to openly carry their handguns with a jacket?

I have a CHP.
    Jacket carry? :dunno:

Top Bottom