What is your CCW of choice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have an s&w m&p shield 9mm and last year I took a chance on a pt111. I'm one cheap son of a baptist.

I have to say I was a little iffy on the Taurus with all the issues they have suffered through, but it runs fine and its as accurate at 30ft as you would expect from any other sub compact under $500. Between the two the Shield is more comfortable to carry but the PT111 can be had for $250 or less if you have good timing. And with two mags I can walk around with 24 rounds concealed in business casual fairly easy.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Smith & Wesson model 637, J-frame , air-weight , 38 special.
    Tried 1911 , it's just too big to easily conceal in office dress.
    Taurus model 455 , 5 shot , snub nosed 45 acp gets carried in winter when wearing a winter coat . it's slightly bigger than a J-frame but not too bulky.
    Gary

copterdrvr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Kahr PM9 (let it go-too small to hang on to) Kahr CW9, CW40. A while ago went to a Canik C100 for increased ammo capacity. Just picked up a PT111G2 and love it. Really no bigger or thicker than my CW40 but holds 13 rounds topped off. It's the same size as my friends Shield and holds 5 more rounds. Awesome pistol-fits my hand perfectly and very thin.

Last edited:

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    XDS in .45, very comfortable to carry all day. I carried an XD-9 sub-compact for awhile, by the end of the day was glad to take it off. The XDS is comfy in an IWB Talon clip-on holster, can be carried in the pocket if needed with cargo pants or cargo shorts with a suitable pocket holster.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I am thinking about getting my first ccw. I have been looking at the M&P shield and the LC9S. I am leaning toward the S&W. What would be a good IWB, I would think that the kydex would be stiff and uncomfortable, and I think a good leather holster would be the best.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I am thinking about getting my first ccw. I have been looking at the M&P shield and the LC9S. I am leaning toward the S&W. What would be a good IWB, I would think that the kydex would be stiff and uncomfortable, and I think a good leather holster would be the best.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Shield-XDS-LC...al-Kydex-IWB-Holster-/131437408396?nav=SEARCH

I have this, and this is the first holster that I can honesly say I now carry ALL the time, it's so easy. I used to take off when driving but now forget its there. Not saying there aren't better, but I see no reason to try another.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have tried a bunch and the desantis nemesis are now my favorite due to compact simplicity. It started life as a pocket holster for me (what it is), but the rubber dimples grip so well that I started using it iwb. I typically don't do jumping jacks or army crawl where I am carrying so it works great to just put in pocket OR tuck in waistband for quick trips in places. I almost always take mine off in the car because of my seat bolstering.

marshrunner757

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Sulphur, LA
    I held and shot both those guns side by side. For me, the lc9s pro had the better trigger and felt lighter. But like I said, that was me. Holster wise, my buddy recommended the alien gear IWB. I ordered it and have to admit it is very thin and very comfortable.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I'd take the Shield over the LC9S. I've shot both and the Ruger LC series is sub-par, IMO.

For your first carry gun, carry something bigger. Honestly, do it. If you start out carrying little guns, you're never going to bother with a bigger gun, until one day you see the light and start carrying an M&P9c or Glock 19, or go full retard like some of us and carry a G17 pointed at your pecker :bigok:

22984787051_cbe6fc8410_z.jpg

BTW, for all of you who haven't tried appendix carry, try it before you dismiss it.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have tried a bunch and the desantis nemesis are now my favorite due to compact simplicity. It started life as a pocket holster for me (what it is), but the rubber dimples grip so well that I started using it iwb. I typically don't do jumping jacks or army crawl where I am carrying so it works great to just put in pocket OR tuck in waistband for quick trips in places. I almost always take mine off in the car because of my seat bolstering.

Thank God I'm not the only one who has tried this. Its a little coplicated if you have to tuck your tails but I managed to figure out a way to fold the shirt over the grip in a way that the holster remains secure when you draw but completely hidden. I will be hunting for a tuck holster but in a pinch it worked

I used whatever generic pocket holster they had when I needed it. I'm a southpaw and last summer we got notice our street at the office would be closed to vehicles so we had to park way off and walk in a not so great area. It was all I could come up with in 48 hours but it worked well enough that I still use it. I like my OWB at 7:00 better for comfort but its harder to hide and I get too a little self aware. But at 6'5" abd 190lbs I can conceal either of my carry guns guns in both positions. The the pt111 is just a little harder in the OWB than the Shiled.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I'd take the Shield over the LC9S. I've shot both and the Ruger LC series is sub-par, IMO.

For your first carry gun, carry something bigger. Honestly, do it. If you start out carrying little guns, you're never going to bother with a bigger gun, until one day you see the light and start carrying an M&P9c or Glock 19, or go full retard like some of us and carry a G17 pointed at your pecker :bigok:

22984787051_cbe6fc8410_z.jpg

BTW, for all of you who haven't tried appendix carry, try it before you dismiss it.

Agreed on the Shield over the LC and agreed on the appendix. Albiet a smaller gun than a g17 would be better for comfort. But if you can carry it and tollerate it.

The first couple times I carried like that I had to pull it out as soon as I climbed into the truck. Now I can wear it for a solid hour on the highway no problem.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The first couple times I carried like that I had to pull it out as soon as I climbed into the truck. Now I can wear it for a solid hour on the highway no problem.

I drove 1500 miles with that holster as you see it. After the first 500 or so miles, it become uncomfortable. The solution was removing the rubber wedge. Now it's comfortable as can be, because all my undergarments don't snag on the wedge. Carrying a G19 is more suitable for everything (as Bravo & Emperor have said), but I don't mind the 17.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I drove 1500 miles with that holster as you see it. After the first 500 or so miles, it become uncomfortable. The solution was removing the rubber wedge. Now it's comfortable as can be, because all my undergarments don't snag on the wedge. Carrying a G19 is more suitable for everything (as Bravo & Emperor have said), but I don't mind the 17.

Just to see where you are coming from I'm gonna try my fns (my closest gun in size and weight to the g17).

Top Bottom