Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I disagree. Those companies you mentioned make fitted pistols. That's something you can't do with a production gun. The 1911 is more or less a craftsman's pistol and it's hard to get a consistent operation out of them with mass produced, slapped together parts.
    That said, I still couldn't bring myself to drop several thou on a pistol when there are other, not 1911, options that are reliable out of the box for less money (especially a Baer, I want the pistol to at least pretend to function out of the box).
    There are many entry 1911 companies like citadel/RIA whose customer service make up for any lack in product quality (have seen more than one need to go back and get worked on, but they've come back proper). Then there are more middle range companies (Springfield, Sig, S&W, Remington, Colt, etc) that offer decent production or semi-custom pistols that work well.
    My opinion is also from the stance of a tinkerer, so I'm inclined to do my own customizations and fitting on parts I want to change out.

Sent from iPhone. Inconsequential word may have been left to die on editing floor.

You are correct(kinda). David nailed it. If more than one set of hands work on a gun, as far as fitting goes, it's a production line gun. When one guy does everything, there seems to be much more pride in craftsmanship.
    I've been involved in shooting sports for 25 years and couldn't begin to tell you how many "semi-customs" I've seen that should have not left the factory. I've seen full blown customs have their share of problems too.
    Car annalogy: my FGW built CKArms high cap and compensated 1911 in 38Super equates to a Top Fuel Dragster. Built for racing with all the best parts and very tight tollerances. I expect more maintenance than I would from my Ford Focus (STI Spartan). XD9 Service = VW bus. Carries a lot and will take you where you want to go but not with much style.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I wish I could find the article about the guy who was attacked by a drunk with a shotgun, guy emptied his 1911 into the drunk, this didn't stop the gunfight. The drunk got a malfunction he was too sauced to clear, so he walked home.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm sure you can always find isolated incidents that you can use to try and prove your point . That's fine . I'm not trying to get you to change your mind . To each his own .

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Stats are fairly pointless. Last I read the average shooting incident was over in less than 6 rounds. AVERAGE. I'm sure some were over in 1 round and some went 12+ rounds. Don't bet on statistics when your life depends on it, because I doubt the bad guy(s) care about them. Plan for the worst. The average hurricane probably only knocks out power for a couple days, but I'd rather plan and prepare for another Katrina.

And like VG said, a spare mag has more to do with having a backup in case of malfunction than extra ammo anyway.

STTAB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    United States
    SGM Holland is that you????? LOL... This was the argument for a long time. It was valid to a point. Time and events have made it less so now.

Ha.. nah, but that name brings me way back. I've had many an interesting range day with that guy. He gave me one of the original Crane made SPRs to test out, carried it for a long time. I was also around when he was helping develop the 6.8. I had one of his experimental 6.8 short barrels during a "combat evaluation". A few misfires in that early platform turned some of us off to the new cartridge. Still an impressive round. During some of the first ballistic testing, the gelatin block was blown off the table (so the legend goes).

Back on topic. You are right. Times are a changing, along with perspectives. The 1911's popularity will continue to wane, replaced by newer technology. The longer it's out of service, the sooner. You have a entire generation of people who've placed their trust in plastic. Thats how innovation works. Twenty years from now we'll be arguing Glock vs phased plasma rifle.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Relying or placing your life on "stats" is purely idiotic. Stats are manipulative no matter how you look at them. There are only two ways to survive a deadly encounter:

1. Luck;

2. Training.

I will assure you that your chances are much better with training....

winner1911

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Why do I own a corvette when I could have got a civic.
    Because it's a f#$@ing corvette. I own 5 kimbers, 2 sigs, and an ed brown custom. Yet I keep a glock 23 in the truck only. Why own nice 1911s, I just love everything about them and they are more of a collectors piece. Why do I carry the glock? Because that s#$ t is flawless.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I think I responded to this thread when it first appeared. Guys it is a matter of personal preference. Instead of arguing encourage people to carry what they are comfortable with and have faith in no matter the make or model or caliber. Carry daily, practice often and take a new shooter along to the range. Dave

Top Bottom