Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I have had more failures (ftf and fte) with my G19 which I happily sold recently than my 1911's. As said all guns are tools and all guns can fail. Even the almighty Glock.

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    A 1911 does nothing for me. A big heavy gun that carries very few rounds of ammunition and has unnecessary features (thumb and grip safety). That's quite a conversation...

As far as .45 being "better" than 9mm, I disagree. I like having more smaller rounds in my gun and on my belt than having fewer, larger rounds.

Oh, I'm the OP.

I also own and carry brands other than Glock.

JR1572

So you already had your answer you just wanted to argue with a group of gun enthusiasts and waste our time? Duly noted...I'll spend my efforts and opinions elsewhere. And for the record, I'm not upset at all. My points carry merit and while thinking about your question I did, in a sense, validate some of my own philosophies on gun collecting and ownership.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    So you already had your answer you just wanted to argue with a group of gun enthusiasts and waste our time? Duly noted...I'll spend my efforts elsewhere. And for the record, I'm not upset at all. My points carry merit and while thinking about your question I did, in a sense, validate some of my own philosophies on gun collecting and ownership.

Even though, I had my answer, I do have an open mind and was attempting to solicit the opinions of others. So far, I haven't read anything that has even made me consider changing my mind.

JR1572

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    A 1911 does nothing for me.

JR1572

As do Glocks for me. I have owned 3 and have sold 3. Let people enjoy what they own. Not everyone here owns stuff so they can be ready to battle with it. To some people guns are enjoyable to collect, shoot, and own..

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If we in the civilian world (and Thank God we AREN'T) were reduced the only carrying FMJ ammo (
    tinfoil.gif
    ), I'd take the .45, all day long.

In a Glock 30, for everyday carry. :)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The gen 3 19 I got used in January of 2013 has fired about 1K rounds a month since. The only "maintenance" has been an oiling when I got it and an oiling about 6 months ago. The only "cleaning" has been using Clorox wipes to remove the burnt powder from the lens of the tlr-1. I've had 1 double feed from a mag with a #3 follower(older than I am), two stove pipes, and a few light primer strikes from ammo that had corrosion(not tarnishing) on the cases.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    a .45 ACP is a hammer of a round compared to the 9mm. Comparing equivalent bullets, the .45 wins everytime.

100_9215Large.jpg

....The.45ACP Caliber bullet entered through the right side of Coulter's head,
    above and slightly forward of his ear,
    and exited through his forehead,
    slightly to the left of the center....

marhsall-coulter-forensic-rendering1jpg-84da08ea0e844cee.jpg

Marshall Coulter still lives today.... :dunno:

So does the 1911, traditionally being a .45ACP,
    automatically put it out of a Glock 19's category
    as a Viable Combative Handgun, just b/c it's a .45 ACP?

I think not, as does many experts in the field.

Great Read Here;
    HANDGUN WOUNDING
    FACTORS
    AND EFFECTIVENESS

Bore size, no longer equals performance my friend.

As the Late Great Paul Gomez explained very well.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    my glock had a stovepipe once.

back around 7 or 8k rounds ago.

and fyi we had a call a few weeks ago with a guy shot in the back of the head, bullet exited his eye. Cyclops will testify that the .45 didn't do the job.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I bought the Ruger SR 1911 when it first came out cause it looked cool!

Shoots like all the many other brands of pistols and revolvers I have.

And surprisingly enough; it still looks cool!

Can I get an amen?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Why limit yourselves to "the most reliable handgun ever"?

1) Because a glock 19 is 9mm and a 1911 is .45 and I feel the .45 is a better round

I'll respond to these two.

1: because if my life is in danger, I want to shoot the threat. Not show it how pretty my gun is.

2: 1911's come in different calibers just as the Glocks do. Not all 1911s are .45's. I've seen them in 9mm, .40, and even .22.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    One way for sure since you aren't comparing the same caliber is that a .45 ACP is a hammer of a round compared to the 9mm. Comparing equivalent bullets, the .45 wins everytime.

Penetration numbers for the same brand/type of quality JHP ammunition in 230gr .45 and 147gr. 9mm.
    Gelatin 12.00" for both.
    Heavy Cloth 13.50" .45 and 12.50" 9mm.
    Steel 17.50" for both.
    Sheetrock 12.00" .45 and 13.25" 9mm.
    Plywood 12.00" .45 and 15.00" 9mm.
    Safety Glass 10.50" .45 and 11.00" 9mm.

winner1911

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Of let's be realistic. If you have a 3,000 dollar 1911 they are going to stand down and ask about it because it's so nice.
    No shootout, ed brown wins

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Of let's be realistic. If you have a 3,000 dollar 1911 they are going to stand down and ask about it because it's so nice.
    No shootout, ed brown wins

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Meh. My stippled Glock 19 gets more complements than my colorful shirt and tie combinations.

JR1572

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'll respond to these two.

1: because if my life is in danger, I want to shoot the threat. Not show it how pretty my gun is.

2: 1911's come in different calibers just as the Glocks do. Not all 1911s are .45's. I've seen them in 9mm, .40, and even .22.

Lol life in danger, because we all find ourselves in that position daily...check stats on gun fights in the US for us and let us know the average shots fired during a gunfight. Then ask a retired cop how many times he has had to shoot someone in his entire career of actually putting his life in danger. As many of you think it may be the case, we don't live on the front lines of active combat. If you do the homework you will find that 5 shots is A LOT of shots in a gunfight. The way you guys talk almost suggests "delusion".

I have never seen a $3k 1911 to start with and damn sure haven't seen one in some "other caliber" other than .45

You left .22 TCM off the list...yep got one of them too and a 9mm.

@JBP-As for the Sheetrock and boards comment...penetration vs. Energy into target are drastically different things. Take a look at the gelatins. Last I checked humans weren't made of Sheetrock.

So the next argument will probably have you guys shooting through the walls...with a pistol? As civilians? Let me guess while taking on a team of a dozen terrorists...in a hotel? With a Glock 19? Well "Yippie Kie Yay" you John McClane's of the world! May your Glock 19's keep you battling baddies forever. But take heed some advice-at least take a full sized Glock for backup!

I love this...I love it even more having most of the guns we talked about in my safe and laughing at the tacticians of the world in their infinite wisdom who have never owned them! :)

I have a question for you Glock fans (as if I am not one of them)..."what do you think about AK's?"

Just adding fuel to the already outrageous flame war going on here.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    A $3,000 STI is better for a shooting match. Just like in NASCAR, every little modification adds up. You clean and lube it before the match. It is not carried for days before the match so that it gets dirty. These guns will jam with just a little dirt or dust.
    No one uses these on the street or for home defense. For me, it is HK, SIG, Glock, or Smith.

As for the $3,000 carry guns? They are not better than a Glock when your life is on the line.

Top Bottom