Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I love it. Still no arguments that trump my comments on the advantages of metal framed firearms. Grab a modern sig with metal frame (226, 229, 227, 220, 1911) and realize that there is a better German firearm.

Then grab a colt 1911 and realize what you've been missing.

I must've missed that comment. Weight, cost, and ability to stipple and chop make me prefer the polymer frame.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    family friend and I did a glock v 1911 this weekend, so I've gotta post.

He and I wagered $200 on firing until one of our guns malfunctions. He got through 3 magazines before he handed me 10 twenty dollar bills.

I remarked that I never had to reload. He remarked that "its never happened before" :rolleyes:

He wasn't happy, and he promptly declined a double or nothin'. If he changes his mind I'll get it on video. I kicked myself for not doing so this round.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    family friend and I did a glock v 1911 this weekend, so I've gotta post.

He and I wagered $200 on firing until one of our guns malfunctions. He got through 3 magazines before he handed me 10 twenty dollar bills.

I remarked that I never had to reload. He remarked that "its never happened before" :rolleyes:

He wasn't happy, and he promptly declined a double or nothin'. If he changes his mind I'll get it on video. I kicked myself for not doing so this round.

My Ruger Sr1911 jammed on a few occasions out of the box, and it has less than 200 rounds through it! :shocked:

I played Dungeons and Dragons!

You 1911 guys need to come clean like Lemmy and the other nerds in Airheads.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I wasn't going to offer it as fuel for the fire, but he was in fact using a ruger

Hey! I will admit it is a beautiful gun. And it feels good in my hands. And it shoots like a dream as far as accuracy goes. But it is a jamma-rama ding-dong!

I honestly do not remember when or even if any of my Glocks ever did!

Remember, the hardest part about realizing you have an inferior gun is admitting it jams more than you are telling people! :mamoru:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I've had both... used both... carried both... prefer the Glock.

To me... my Glock 19 is a tool. While I appreciate and admire it's craftsmanship, it will never be a "work of art" unless you are strictly judging "art" by its capabilities, durability, etc.

I do collect some firearms, and those are like pieces of art to me... not tools. The 1911 is pure artistic craftsmanship. It is a museum piece in any collection. I would not compare the two aesthetically as the Glock is designed to do a job and perform at that job... that's all. The 1911 gets the job done, however, at a cost (literally) of a balance in looks and "fancy"-ness. The 1911 also has a ton of moving parts. They are durable, but they are susceptible to malfunctions with damage to those parts. The number of safety's, and the low round count (most if not all are single stack) are what do it for me.

A Ferrari is nice to own and take to a car show here and there... but driving it every day to work? Nah.

In my opinion, a $3,000 1911 can not be compared to a Glock 19 by saying one is better than the other. They sit in two separate classes. You would never put a featherweight against a heavyweight... (Please don't assume I am calling one weapon or the other a featherweight, it's an analogy).

As far as...

1. putting rounds down range - Glock (simply because it holds more! Both weapons are definitely proven designs)
    2. durability - Glock (Though the 1911 is durable, the ability to foul the weapon by hindering the movement of safety's lowers it).
    3. functionality - Toss up. Glock is proven for functionality, however, they do break! The craftsmanship of the 1911 stands up well.
    4. retaining of value - 1911 wins hands down.
    5. maintenance - GLOCK wins hands down.
    6. Weight - Glock (Even with the lighter metals, the 1911 is 98% metal, giving this to the Glock).
    7. Size - Glock (Though I know there are some compact 1911's, the simplicity of the Glock design lends to it's size)
    8. Conceal-ability - Glock (Even with the smaller 1911's, they are not the most smooth framed jagged-less design.).
    9. Customization - Glock (the polymer frame and the wide availability of "performance" and customized parts give this to the Glock)

Now I know there are some die-hard's out there that stand by that damn 1911 no matter what... but there are Glock lovers out there too who do the same friggen thing!! I don't know if the ability to stipple the grip is the greatest argument for the Glock... haha... I think that would fall more to customization.

So... in closing... if you want to tool that will serve you well and function when needed, you could choose either weapon. If you want something that you can beat the living hell out of, pick up out of pond water after soaking in sludge and lord knows what else for three days and fire off a few rounds, I would say go with the Glock. If you want something that you can take to the range, or carry around in a shoulder holster inside your suit while you delegate your minions to do your bidding while toking on a big fat stogie, or to display on your desk in a padded cigar box, go with the $3,000 1911 (unless you're a General on the Battlefield who is in the wrong place at the wrong time and is being overrun... and you have to draw it to defend yourself, because you always wear it and keep it loaded, even though the only time you've ever shot it was to show it off to your other general friends because you received it as a gift for your upcoming retirement that was postponed because your country "NEEDED" you).

Hahaha... don't ask. ANYWAY!!! I hope you guys enjoyed this comparison!! Just remember, these observations are based on MY OWN opinions.

Oh, one more thing that just bugs the crap out of me... the WEAPON or tool is NOT what is accurate... the person employing the weapon is what determines the accuracy of any firearm. in other words, a firearm is only as accurate as it's shooter.

Also, (final words I promise), The Glock (out of the box) may not stand up with trigger feel, etc. to the 1911 out of the box... HOWEVER, the 1911 has been out there MUCH longer than the Glock, it's been tested MUCH more extensively than the Glock, proven in battle longer than the Glock and probably gone through a million more "revisions" than the Glock (though still retaining it's original design for the most part). Yet the Glock is still right up there with it in the minds of a lot of shooters. I mean, look at the AR platform... still hanging in there after all these years with a ton of revisions. Plenty of newer weapons have presented themselves... and in many cases costs play a role in who buys what... but a $3000 SCAR does not mean its a better weapon than a basic Bushmaster M-16.

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have never had a single 1911 I've owned jam ever. The only pistol I have that jams is the g42 with some personal defense ammo. I can get a video if it helps.

Awe COME ON!!! The G42??????? That thing is brand new and hasn't even (nor will it ever) be "proven" in any battle. The 1st Generation Glocks had some issues as well... AS DID the original 1911's. Changes, updates and upgrades (oh and recalls) are not unique to any firearm.

Though, my G42 has only jammed once... and it was due to an ammo issue, not the weapon.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Oh, one more thing that just bugs the crap out of me... the WEAPON or tool is NOT what is accurate... the person employing the weapon is what determines the accuracy of any firearm. in other words, a firearm is only as accurate as it's shooter.

Hey, Bucko! :p

I guess I should clarify. The ergonomics of my SR 1911 along with the weight, seem to give it a balance that requires less concentration to aim and hit what I am shooting at. Whether it's perception or not; I can't explain it. It's very weird.

Hey! Maybe 1911's are magical?!? :dunno:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

I guess I should clarify. The ergonomics of my SR 1911 along with the weight, seem to give it a balance that requires less concentration to aim and hit what I am shooting at. Whether it's perception or not; I can't explain it. It's very weird.

Well we all know that when you shoot someone with a .45 they fly backwards ten feet and then vanish in a puff of smoke. you only need 1 bullet.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well we all know that when you shoot someone with a .45 they fly backwards ten feet and then vanish in a puff of smoke. you only need 1 bullet.

Quite honestly, and despite the feelings this could hurt; I seldom open my gun safe and say to myself, "I feel like shooting the 1911 today!" :mamoru:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Somebody needs to spend more time on our classifieds, and on the Guns on da Bayou facebook page :dogkeke:

Maybe this should have been "Increase in value". Glocks tend to retain their value where 1911's tend to increase in value if they are maintained over time. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha... sorry, didn't mean to singe your statement out personally. :rofl:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Maybe this should have been "Increase in value". Glocks tend to retain their value where 1911's tend to increase in value if they are maintained over time. :)

lol I've definitely seen some used Glocks listed at retail or above. I have a buddy that rage-texts me every time he sees one.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha... sorry, didn't mean to singe your statement out personally. :rofl:

Don't sweat it! At face value without context my statement was retarded! I know better!

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    Yea those 1911's are terribly unreliable in stock trim. This Springfield only has 98,000 rounds through it. That's completely un-possible!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...88K)-rounds-and-counting-Springfield-Operator

Why Glock guys feel the need to compare these platforms baffles me. I guess it's some sort of coping method, or they are trying to compensate for other shortfalls.

I am just going to sit over here and wait for the hate to continue to flow.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yea those 1911's are terribly unreliable in stock trim. This Springfield only has 98,000 rounds through it. That's completely un-possible!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...88K)-rounds-and-counting-Springfield-Operator

Why Glock guys feel the need to compare these platforms baffles me. I guess it's some sort of coping method, or they are trying to compensate for other shortfalls.

I am just going to sit over here and wait for the hate to continue to flow.

The 1911 is on its third barrel?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benh
    Top Bottom