Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'll pose the same question that got me in a friendly contest this weekend:

You paid $2500 for your 1911. I paid $400 for my glock. (I have 2x many bullets, less weight, etc etc)

What did you get, worth $2100.00, that we can physically measure?

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'll pose the same question that got me in a friendly contest this weekend:

You paid $2500 for your 1911. I paid $400 for my glock. (I have 2x many bullets, less weight, etc etc)

What did you get, worth $2100.00, that we can physically measure?

If you want a pretty gun with a good trigger which is normally more accurate than a Glock when slowly punching holes in paper to show your friends by all means get a 1911..
    If you want a good defensive pistol that hold many rounds and is normally very reliable under adverse conditions out of the box you may want to pass on an average 1911.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Exactly. If we're comparing Glocks and 1911's, let's compare $500 stock Glocks with $500 stock 1911's. For $3k, I can have one seriously tricked out Glock, too. But for my $500, give me modern technology and a gun that actually makes for a reliable, good defensive weapon.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Exactly. If we're comparing Glocks and 1911's, let's compare $500 stock Glocks with $500 stock 1911's. For $3k, I can have one seriously tricked out Glock, too. But for my $500, give me modern technology and a gun that actually makes for a reliable, good defensive weapon.

Even tricking out a Glock with all the bells and whistles (I've tried), you won't even reach $3000!!! lol.

I have one that's tricked out with 4 separate complete (also tricked out) slide assemblies to allow for utilizing four separate calibers. It has holsters, multiple magazines for each, etc. and is all stored in a customized Pelican box and THAT still doesn't hit $3000. I mean sure, I could take each slide and put a Trijicon RMR on them and hit the mark, but lets be realistic! :)

Currently -

Glock 19 Frame with...
    1. Extended Magazine Release
    2. Aluminum trigger assembly
    3. 3.5lb trigger bar
    4. Spring set
    5. Extended Slide Lock
    6. Stainless Pin set
    7. Stippled Grip
    8. Extended Take-Down lever
    9. Slug Plug

Glock 19 Slide Assembly -
    1. XS Big Dot night sights
    2. Titanium Skeletonized Striker
    3. Titanium Safety
    4. Titanium Guide Rod Assembly
    5. Clipdraw
    6. Lone Wolf Barrel

Advantage Arms .22lr Conversion Slide Assembly -

Glock 23 Slide Assembly -
    3. Titanium Safety
    5. Clipdraw

Glock 32 Slide Assembly -
    3. Titanium Safety
    5. Clipdraw

Magazines -
    6 Glock 19 (With pearce grip extensions)
    1 OEM Glock 19
    3 Glock 23
    3 Glock 32
    4 AA .22lr Conversion

Ammunition -
    1 20 round box of 9mm SD ammo
    1 50 round box of 9mm Range ammo
    1 50 round box of .40 Range ammo
    1 50 round box of .357 SIG Range ammo
    1 100 round box of .22lr

Holsters -
    1 Blackhawk Glock Paddle Holster
    4 Blackhawk Magazine Holsters

All in one Custom Pelican Case.

And I'm STILL not at $3000... I didn't say I wasn't CLOSE, but not there yet.

And WHY you ask did I create this masterpiece of Glock-ness? BECAUSE I WANT TO!! :p

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Even tricking out a Glock with all the bells and whistles (I've tried), you won't even reach $3000!!! lol.

I have one that's tricked out with 4 separate complete (also tricked out) slide assemblies to allow for utilizing four separate calibers. It has holsters, multiple magazines for each, etc. and is all stored in a customized Pelican box and THAT still doesn't hit $3000. I mean sure, I could take each slide and put a Trijicon RMR on them and hit the mark, but lets be realistic! :)

You didn't try hard enough.
    $2500 Glock. Just the gun. No extra slides,mags, or holsters.

https://www.facebook.com/SalientArmsInternational

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

Currently -

Glock 19 Frame with...
    1. Extended Magazine Release
    2. Aluminum trigger assembly
    3. 3.5lb trigger bar
    4. Spring set
    5. Extended Slide Lock
    6. Stainless Pin set
    7. Stippled Grip
    8. Extended Take-Down lever
    9. Slug Plug

Glock 19 Slide Assembly -
    3. Titanium Safety
    5. Clipdraw
    6. Lone Wolf Barrel

Advantage Arms .22lr Conversion Slide Assembly -

Glock 23 Slide Assembly -
    3. Titanium Safety
    5. Clipdraw

Glock 32 Slide Assembly -
    3. Titanium Safety
    5. Clipdraw

Magazines -
    6 Glock 19
    4 Glock 23
    3 Glock 32
    3 AA .22lr Conversion

Ammunition -
    1 20 round box of 9mm SD ammo
    1 50 round box of 9mm Range ammo
    1 50 round box of .40 Range ammo
    1 50 round box of .357 SIG Range ammo
    1 100 round box of .22lr

Holsters -
    1 Blackhawk Glock Paddle Holster
    4 Blackhawk Magazine Holsters

All in one Custom Pelican Case.

And I'm STILL not at $3000... I didn't say I wasn't CLOSE, but not there yet.

And WHY you ask did I create this masterpiece of Glock-ness? BECAUSE I WANT TO!! :p

Pics or you get a ban.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Well I'm convinced. The hell with 1911's or any other firearm for that matter. I'd like to call for a vote that on this firearm forum no more threads allowed about guns other than threads about glocks. And before anyone ask the question "what about hunting guns" the ansawer is no! If a glock is good enough to defend you're life with it's not only good enough but it is the only acceptable firearm to shoot a deer or rabbit with.
    All in favor?

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Pics or you get a ban.

Can't believe I actually had a photo on my phone, though this is prior to the guide rods being added to the other slides.

It also doesn't show one box of 9mm range ammo (cut and put where the loaders are) and the holsters, which sit on top. The 9mm SD ammo is in the foam along with one magazine (oh and I forgot the single round held in the slug plug).

Also corrected the magazine count in the above post and added Pearce Grip extensions.

image1.JPG

Booh-yah!!!!

Do I get upgraded to some kind of a moderator now? :)

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Yea those 1911's are terribly unreliable in stock trim. This Springfield only has 98,000 rounds through it. That's completely un-possible!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...88K)-rounds-and-counting-Springfield-Operator

Why Glock guys feel the need to compare these platforms baffles me. I guess it's some sort of coping method, or they are trying to compensate for other shortfalls.

I am just going to sit over here and wait for the hate to continue to flow.

And how many failures?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    It's in the thread. You should read up and get a little education.

Where in the thread? I scanned through it and didn't see anything. Almost any gun can get to a high round count with a gunsmith regularly checking it, repairing it, and replacing worn parts. If you were trying to get cute with the bit about getting some education, don't. Please try to act like an adult.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    I was in fact being cute. Adults don't ask questions that are clearly answered In the link. If you wanted an adult response don't ask me to do your work.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was in fact being cute. Adults don't ask questions that are clearly answered In the link. If you wanted an adult response don't ask me to do your work.

Well, I just checked again. Unless I'm going blind, a number of failures isn't in there. Didn't think I was asking you to do my work, figured you already knew. Since I didn't see it in there and given your responses, I'm guessing you didn't see it either. If I'm right, there no need to get your panties in a twist and start acting like you got penetrated by a cactus, you could just say you don't know. After all that talk about shortcomings, you sure are working hard to expose yours.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    Well, I just checked again. Unless I'm going blind, a number of failures isn't in there. Didn't think I was asking you to do my work, figured you already knew. Since I didn't see it in there and given your responses, I'm guessing you didn't see it either. If I'm right, there no need to get your panties in a twist and start acting like you got penetrated by a cactus, you could just say you don't know. After all that talk about shortcomings, you sure are working hard to expose yours.

Even if you taunt me with your witty quips about cacti an my shortcomings I want do your work for you. Your funny!

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Well we all know that when you shoot someone with a .45 they fly backwards ten feet and then vanish in a puff of smoke. you only need 1 bullet.

Get real man! They fly back 3' to 15' depending on body mass. And the puff of smoke is a myth, only 25% vanish in smoke. :eek3:

Top Bottom