Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Do any of those exist? Why is it you search for 1st Gen Glock 19 and it comes up as 400 or so?

Because people are calling 2nd gens first, because they don't know the difference. Find me one that doesn't have the grenade grip for 400 and I'll buy it. Hell, I'd trade my all original 44## first year 1911 in 38 super for it. I'd wager that you know more about firearms than the average person, I'd also wager you didn't know gen 1 19's were as rare as they are until this thread. The average person values them just like any other gen 1, because they don't know either.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Now now, we must all treat each other like adults. A funny guy once told me that.

An adult with the ability to read would see where I stated I wasn't talking about his schooling, but the idea that asking questions is correlated with an inability to understand would mean schooling is not successful.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    Thank you, do you have anything to add?

Why yes I do. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416070349.733638.jpg

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    Because people are calling 2nd gens first, because they don't know the difference. Find me one that doesn't have the grenade grip for 400 and I'll buy it. Hell, I'd trade my all original 44## first year 1911 in 38 super for it. I'd wager that you know more about firearms than the average person, I'd also wager you didn't know gen 1 19's were as rare as they are until this thread. The average person values them just like any other gen 1, because they don't know either.

You're correct on that part. I'm pretty much Glock dumb. On purpose.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You're correct on that part. I'm pretty much Glock dumb. On purpose.

You should change that, it is probably the most effective concealable tool for self defense on the market. Beyond that, I don't see what you would be able to add to a discussion like this without having any real knowledge on half of the topic.

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    School must not have been a successful experience then? Not saying for you specifically, but the more general point.

That was in regard to the original question. Kind of like the Harley Davidson versus the Japanese bikes. . You really can't understand or appreciate the difference unless you experience it first hand. . Thats all. .

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    You should change that, it is probably the most effective concealable tool for self defense on the market. Beyond that, I don't see what you would be able to add to a discussion like this without having any real knowledge on half of the topic.

No thanks. My USP will do me just fine. And I can add whatever I damn well please if it does add to the topic of discussion. You know, like people saying that a custom 1911 doesn't hold value once used.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    No thanks. My USP will do me just fine. And I can add whatever I damn well please if it does add to the topic of discussion. You know, like people saying that a custom 1911 doesn't hold value once used.

Didn't say you couldn't, said I didn't see it. I don't mind if you post here, I just don't see how you can post anything meaningful in relation to comparing a glock to a 1911 if you know nothing about a glock. You have no basis for comparison. You were wrong about the 1911's holding their value as well as a Glock, so I don't see what point you were trying to make there. I posted an example of this happening here. 1911's are like cars, once you drive them off the lot the value drops significantly.

A glock is seen as a tool, as such, it holds its value as long as it continues to function and doesn't have excess wear. Most, not all,1911's in the 3k range are seen as collectors items/safe queens. This means that any usage/wear impacts their value significantly. Nobody cares if a hammer is worn, but put a chip in one of those porcelain Christmas village statues and see what happens.

Last edited:

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    Didn't say you couldn't, said I didn't see it. I don't mind if you post here, I just don't see how you can post anything meaningful in relation to comparing a glock to a 1911 if you know nothing about a glock. You have no basis for comparison. You were wrong about the 1911's holding their value as well as a Glock, so I don't see what point you were trying to make there. I posted an example of this happening here. 1911's are like cars, once you drive them off the lot the value drops significantly.

A glock is seen as a tool, as such, it holds its value as long as it continues to function and doesn't have excess wear. Most, not all,1911's in the 3k range are seen as collectors items/safe queens. This means that any usage/wear impacts their value significantly. Nobody cares if a hammer is worn, but put a chip in one of those porcelain Christmas village statues and see what happens.

I was not wrong. You said that a 1st Gen Glock 19 fetches 5 figures if unfired. And? A true custom 1911 will hold it's value over time, like the 1st Gen 19, there are only a limited number in existence. How many Gen 3 Glocks are there? How many Stan Chens are there? Apples to oranges

A semi-custom...sure they can loose some value but not as much as you and others make out.

Re the OP, there are 1911 lovers and there are Glock lovers. I highly doubt any of them will ever reach a consensus.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was not wrong. You said that a 1st Gen Glock 19 fetches 5 figures if unfired. And? A true custom 1911 will hold it's value over time, like the 1st Gen 19, there are only a limited number in existence. How many Gen 3 Glocks are there? How many Stan Chens are there? Apples to oranges

A semi-custom...sure they can loose some value but not as much as you and others make out.

Re the OP, there are 1911 lovers and there are Glock lovers. I highly doubt any of them will ever reach a consensus.

I posted a link to a semi custom 1911 dropping roughly 30% of it's value after slight use. I don't think you can do the same for a gen 3 glock.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    I posted a link to a semi custom 1911 dropping roughly 30% of it's value after slight use. I don't think you can do the same for a gen 3 glock.

You mean the link that doesn't work?

I think this all leads to the third sentence in my post above.

I wouldn't pay $300 for a new Glock. Obviously you feel the same about any 1911.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You must not have read my posts in this thread. I own a 1911. A 1929 colt in 38 super. First year of production, serial number under 4500. For something closer to the question in this thread, I've owned a Springfield TRP operator. Found it to be a nice pistol, but the magazine size, weight, and reliability made me switch to a glock. A 1911 was easier to shoot before I started spending more time on trigger control, but I found that the more forgiving trigger was outweighed by the reasons listed above. What you would pay individually is irrelevant to a guns resale value. Here is that link I tried to post earlier.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?115332-NHC-1911-with-SureFire-X300

Last edited:
    Top Bottom