Why is California so broke ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    That's curious. I visited the link you provided, and the information there says California's 8.9% UR puts them pretty squarely in the middle of the pack.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    California took a big hit when the deregulation lunacy of the past 40 years caught up with the financial industry as everyone knew was going to happen. Big cities like LA, San Francisco, Miami, and Dallas took a big hit as their real estate markets collapsed taking the financial markets with them. This all rippled down to all parts of the economy, and in most places with intense concentrations of wealth the collapse of real estate hit property taxes pretty hard. Since California had inflated real estate prices, the loss of wealth was staggering, and so the loss of property taxes (on which California relied heavily) hurt particularly badly.

The state will recover as the national economy does. When that happens you will see those financial difficulties disappear. California is still a fantastic place to live, all of its silly gun laws aside.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Like someone said in here earlier, it is like the guy whos driving a 100k car living in a million dollar house all owned by the bank. That is the state California is in.

My-rifle, yes CA might have nice roads, nice beaches, nice little lights at the on ramps, nice people and it may seem to be a perfect little world, but would you live there? Better leave any guns back here in LA and make sure you don't bring any mags over 10 rounds. I would much rather live in a state with bad roads and traffic than live somewhere that is bankrupted and running huuuugeee budget deficits and congress men like Stark (do your research on him). I understand that CA has more corporate headquarters and all, but like said before, they are leaving in droves due to taxes and regulations and there is no end in sight. Oh, don't forget about the gov. ordering minimum wage for state workers....... that all sounds soooo good!

EVERY SINGLE PERSON I talked to at front sight who was from CA hates it and could not wait to leave. Many of them were in the process of a job search anywhere to get them out of CA!

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Louisiana has it's own unique problems but the std of living in CA is horrid. We've got asshats in N BTR but we don't have a serious gang issue; we've got no border issues; we've got no earthquakes and fires that eat up entire parishes. Housing is more affordable, though insurance sucks donkey parts. Food is cheaper here, too, as is fuel.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I understand now. Still California is doing a lot better than Louisiana. They'll cut some social services, and they'll lay off some CalTrans workers, but in a couple of years when the economy recovers from the depression that started three years ago, California will be better than ever. The state of Louisiana will still have fewer major corporate headquarters than the city of Austin, Texas. One good thing about Louisiana - the economy doesn't fluctuate very much. It's always bad here.

I LOVE Cali, and I will be among the first to move there when the radiation from the Neutron bombs die down!:p

That said, the 'Fruits and Nutz' have RUINED that state, the only reason I lived there ether time was because I was issued an machine gun and got toplay with explosives (Which I found hillariously funny) while I was there.

BEAUTIFUL place, AMAZINGLY hot women, GREAT weather...

But the 'Nanny state' Bullcr@p make it a no go for me.

As to your belief that 'they will be ok' shortly...

That's only if you buy into the double book keeping and all of that!

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I've lived in California, and the standard of living is opulent compared to Louisiana. California as a whole doesn't have a gang problem - only certain parts do, a part of L.A. being a well-publicized part that does. California doesn't seem to worry too much about any perceived "border issues." There don't seem to be any border issues there that have any significant affect on the state economy. The earthquakes and fires are nothing compared to hurricanes.

Now don't get me wrong. I wish I could stay in Louisiana forever, but there's just not enough business here, and let's face it: Louisiana isn't very cosmopolitan. The provincial mindset here is our biggest problem, and it brings on most of our other problems.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    These people exist everywhere. There is a perception that California people are liberal, self absorbed, gun hating, financially irresponsible environmentalists. I'm not saying it is true or right. Just that it exists. If you look at the blue/red maps most of California is conservative. The greater metropolitan population overrides the conservative rural population.

I lived there for 10 years and this is very true. San Diego is pretty conservative but they don't compare to LA and San Fran. Most of the state is farm land.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've lived in California, and the standard of living is opulent compared to Louisiana. House of cards, based on debt. I live below my means and enjoy it. I get what I like, live 'poor' as some would view it, but have NO worries about bills etc. California as a whole doesn't have a gang problem - only certain parts do, Parts of La don't have ____ problem... only certain parts do!:eek3:a part of L.A. being a well-publicized part that does. California doesn't seem to worry too much about any perceived "border issues." Just because they do not worry does not mean it's not an issue. The Fed gov doesn't worry ether... still a problem.There don't seem to be any border issues there that have any significant affect on the state economy. As I recall they yearly cost is OVER 20 BILLION, and that's AFTER deducting their contrubutions... I'd say that's pretty bad.The earthquakes and fires are nothing compared to hurricanes.Not so. Those can be anywhere, Mid La. Hurricane dammage is minimal

Now don't get me wrong. I wish I could stay in Louisiana forever, but there's just not enough business here, and let's face it: Louisiana isn't very cosmopolitan. You say that like it's a bad thing?:confused: The provincial mindset here is our biggest problem, and it brings on most of our other problems.

Oooook....

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sorry, my-rifle. I've been to Newport Beach, Long Beach and Los Angeles. There is amazing wealth and amazing poverty (like everywhere else).

Too many people tried to live like the Hollywoodniks (i.e., over their heads) and everyone, seemingly, was "in the business".

Fuel prices were horrendous. Gun laws suck. Housing prices suck.The police there sucked, too, but that's probably because of all of the gangland crap they have to be concerned about so they seem to me to be a bit high and heavy handed and non too cordial/friendly.

The Hurricanes we KNOW they are coming; few people can detect earthquakes in a timely manner to bail out a day or two before they happen.

It's extremely congested - again, Los Angeles Metro Area I'm speaking of here.

The Border *IS* an issue whether the people there "don't worry about it" which I highly doubt...

It's also seemed to be very, very dry.

The crime rate is not as high as here, there is more to do; it is more cosmopolitan; it has mountains and beaches. The weather was phenomenal all three times I was there once it was hot days and cool nights and Long Beach/Newport Beach was packed with people. I miss that. I also miss the supercars traversing the roads. Cool stuff to see if you have 20w50 in your veins and a turbocharger in your chest cavity like I do.

On the whole the gov't dismays me much more so in Cali than here and I despise what has not been done in the 20 yrs since I last lived here...

I think there are perhaps better alternatives than either.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    the on-ramps in L.A. have stoplights timed to release cars into traffic at a sustainable rate,?

It's funny how the standard of living in "broke" California is still higher than in "solvent" Louisiana.

Hey! We've got on-ramp signals too!:rofl: And they work WONDERS during rush hour, believe it or not.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I'm not going to address Nomad's post, because I think it speaks for itself.

Mjolnir, I have to disagree with a lot of what you say. You're right that there's wealth and poverty. The "too many people living high" thing isn't valid. The collapsed housing market that drove people out of work and forced them to miss house payments didn't happen because everyone was living above their means. It was a creeping problem that blew up when low-income people lost the equity they had in their homes, then defaulted. I worked for Aegis Mortgage, a sub-prime lender, and I can tell you that the loan salesmen prayed upon low-income people by promising them that their home value would rise faster than their balloon notes. Why were those things legal? Oh yes - financial deregulation. The free market will regulate itself. Do you remember who was trumpeting deregulation during the past thirty years? I do.

The collapse of the sub-prime market is what collapsed our economy, and in places like California where business is hot, the loss of lines of credit destroyed employers and led to massive unemployment. It wasn't because people were living above their means. It was because people were pursuing the American dream.

You got me on California's gun laws. On the other hand that has little to do with standard of living unless you're a gun collector like we are.

Fuel? I don't know. It was 4.25$ a gallon there when it was $3 a gallon here last time I was there. Not exactly devastating.

The police? Again I found them courteous and professional, but I think the difference may have been because of our relative appearances and where we were when we encountered them. I was on the freeway and in San Bernadino, Seal Beach, and Pasadena. Long Beach isn't exactly Santa Monica, is it? I can't talk about Newport Beach, because I was only there once. It looked nice. But them most of California looks nice, doesn't it?

The climate is fantastic all year round. I've spent three Decembers/Januaries there, and I never had to wear more than a sweater. God's country if you ask me.

Congestion? Only if you don't know your way around. I took the train when traffic was bad, and I got from Pasadena to 6th and Fig in about 30 minutes. I did this every day for months.

Everything is a little more expensive there than here - except insurance and all the things that simply don't exist in the Louisiana market. If they didn't have such crazy gun laws, and if my family and friends weren't in Louisiana, and if I didn't have such a fabulous job here I'd be gone in a moment.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was in the Detroit Metro Area and if you remained above 8 Mile, generally, it was awesome. There are some very nice places in Detroit proper, too, to be honest. I'm not a Big City guy so I didn't frequent them too much. In many ways I like it better than here. In many ways not.

Freeway traffic was horrid in L.A. Waaay too many persons in the Metro Area. No, I don't know my way around the place that's for sure. Gas Prices are 40% higher combined with the traffic and "OUCH!"

I find L.E. more friendly and responsive here than there and everywhere I go I seek contact with L.E. to get SOME idea of what they may be like. Admittedly, it's a small sample but I rather look a man in the eye and speak with him as opposed to taking others' valid opinions. Our L.E. are better than Detroit Proper L.E., too; not as nice as Southfield L.E. but then I shot with and played judo with two of the SWAT officers but I also know many City Constables and several Sheriff Officers here, too.

I'd like to live around mountains; that by itself is a HUGE draw to me. I didn't find the people too engaging in L.A., either but then it's a HUGE city so what could I honestly expect?

Secure the border; throw out the Communist Gov't Officials (and the laws) and Northern California (inland of the ocean, away from the fault lines) would be very, very tempting.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Everything is a little more expensive there than here - except insurance and all the things that simply don't exist in the Louisiana market. If they didn't have such crazy gun laws, and if my family and friends weren't in Louisiana, and if I didn't have such a fabulous job here I'd be gone in a moment.

I think it's funny how we ALL like Cali (Without the People/laws)
    But we All have 'legal reasons' not to live there, and I;d bet most of us would miss the FOOD!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom