Why is California so broke ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The freeway lights regulate the entry of traffic onto the freeway, to prevent congestion at the ramp entrances. It works too.

Ben, I'm not saying that the problem is new. I'm saying that California's standard of living is still higher than it is here in Louisiana. The other posters seem to think it's a new problem that is catastrophic. I believe a lot of that feeling is righteous indignation at a society that lives so much better than we do here, and we can't figure out how they do it. Instead we assume they're doing something wrong - that we can't figure out either.

Having lived in Texas for ten years and in several parts of California as well as the greater New Orleans area, my experience suggests that the more affluent states tend to move in cycles of boom and bust mostly because the widespread practice of financial speculation (the engine that drives the US economy) in those places makes them vulnerable to poor economic times more so than Louisiana where financial stagnation long ago removed that risk. Here the low education level means that companies don't want to speculate in the local markets, and the result is that when the economy is up, we don't rise, but when the economy is down we don't sink either.

If the whole nation was like Louisiana, the United States would cease to exist as a financial powerhouse, and become more like Russia where motivation to speculate is low among the middle classes, but high among the oligarchs who have the political connections to protect their investments.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The freeway lights regulate the entry of traffic onto the freeway, to prevent congestion at the ramp entrances. It works too.

Ben, I'm not saying that the problem is new. I'm saying that California's standard of living is still higher than it is here in Louisiana. The other posters seem to think it's a new problem that is catastrophic. I believe a lot of that feeling is righteous indignation at a society that lives so much better than we do here, and we can't figure out how they do it. Instead we assume they're doing something wrong - that we can't figure out either.

Having lived in Texas for ten years and in several parts of California as well as the greater New Orleans area, my experience suggests that the more affluent states tend to move in cycles of boom and bust mostly because the widespread practice of financial speculation (the engine that drives the US economy) in those places makes them vulnerable to poor economic times more so than Louisiana where financial stagnation long ago removed that risk. Here the low education level means that companies don't want to speculate in the local markets, and the result is that when the economy is up, we don't rise, but when the economy is down we don't sink either.

If the whole nation was like Louisiana, the United States would cease to exist as a financial powerhouse, and become more like Russia where motivation to speculate is low among the middle classes, but high among the oligarchs who have the political connections to protect their investments.

I'm REALLY not getting this statement?

Sure, I live in an appartment, but to be honest it's not much smaller than my buddies $500,000 house in Cali.
    If I had a hot tub it'd all be good!:D

I drive a POS truck, but I could write a check for a newer vehicle, and I ride my BMW most of the time anyway.

I eat Steak atleast 1x per week, and whenever I want.

I have my guns to play with, and go out when I want to.

Not seeing this 'higher standard of living'???????

I DID note the high density of hot chicks when I lived in Cali, but I know why they move there, and to be honest, Southern La does pretty D@nm good for it self on that score!

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie

they have those in most metro cities i have been to.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I'm REALLY not getting this statement?

Sure, I live in an appartment, but to be honest it's not much smaller than my buddies $500,000 house in Cali.
    If I had a hot tub it'd all be good!:D

I drive a POS truck, but I could write a check for a newer vehicle, and I ride my BMW most of the time anyway.

I eat Steak atleast 1x per week, and whenever I want.

I have my guns to play with, and go out when I want to.

Not seeing this 'higher standard of living'???????

I DID note the high density of hot chicks when I lived in Cali, but I know why they move there, and to be honest, Southern La does pretty D@nm good for it self on that score!

All this is true, because you enjoy a low standard of living, and you are satisfied with it.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    All this is true, because you enjoy a low standard of living, and you are satisfied with it.

Ok, So buying a gun whenever I want, Taking a 6 week motorcycle trip on my BMW cause I feel like it (Month last year) , and eating out whenever (Or whatever) I want is a 'low' standard of living...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ummm.... What's a high standard of living????

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Ok, So buying a gun whenever I want, Taking a 6 week motorcycle trip on my BMW cause I feel like it (Month last year) , and eating out whenever (Or whatever) I want is a 'low' standard of living...

having 4 benzes in your 8 car garage attached to your 10000 sqft house on the water with your 65' boat docked in the rear with its own private staff while having 10million in debt and the bank closing in on you. that's a "high standard of living" haha

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

Dude . There is no right answer to the question . :cool:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Problem is, that's not even close to being a true statement.
    People who don't know what they are talking about sure like to repeate it though

That would be why a couple of makers don't do business there any longer and why an ENORMOUS amount of private individuals (and dealers) will no longer ship there.

The CA DOJ list of "approved weapons" is lengthy, and getting longer year by year. Do a search of those lists and see what the penalties are if you attempted to move there now with many of the items we own here, trade here on this site. Mandated locks, storage requirements depending on locale, the endless cycle of attempting either registration, or ammo taxes, or "smart gun technology" or microstamping, or...on and on. Sorry Dood, there is a reason cliche's get started, and it's based on truth.

Who are you trying to convince? Me or you? Have 3 close family members who formerly lived in the People's Republic of (and have visited there regularly, but not in the last few years),they have vacated the premisis for Texas (taking their busineses with them too), and wouldn't move back if you paid em.

I'll take my "cosmopolitan" as a drink thank you very much. As for the rest, feel free to move there any time you choose, to each their own. Not for me thanks.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are those who are cosmopolitan who will sit and sip cosmopolitans while reading the Constitution.

There ya go ! :)

:D

But there is room for both. Hell, I like mud and rocks and guns and trucks, sportscars and what not but I also like coffee shops and sidewalk cafes. I guess I like being the leopard amongst the sheep. :mamoru:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    That would be why a couple of makers don't do business there any longer and why an ENORMOUS amount of private individuals (and dealers) will no longer ship there.
    The only big one I know of is Barret. And that was a big FU to the politicians. LaRue changed his mind and now does but his refusal had nothing to do with their laws.

The CA DOJ list of "approved weapons" is lengthy, and getting longer year by year.
    And its not an "Approved" list for long guns only pistols.
    As far as the ban 'list" it has to be specifically listed or it good to go.
    Do a search of those lists and see what the penalties are if you attempted to move there now with many of the items we own here, trade here on this site. Mandated locks, storage requirements depending on locale, the endless cycle of attempting either registration, or ammo taxes, or "smart gun technology" or microstamping, or...on and on. Sorry Dood, there is a reason cliche's get started, and it's based on truth.

thats funny. I ship guns to Calif. at least once a month. Evil black guns too. AR's, AK's and almost every Saiga made. oh noooo's.

Who are you trying to convince? Me or you? Have 3 close family members who formerly lived in the People's Republic of (and have visited there regularly, but not in the last few years),they have vacated the premisis for Texas (taking their busineses with them too), and wouldn't move back if you paid em.
    Not trying to convince anyone of anything. I lived there for 43 yrs. Born and raised. ALL of my family still lives there. They have more guns than I do.

I'll take my "cosmopolitan" as a drink thank you very much. As for the rest, feel free to move there any time you choose, to each their own. Not for me thanks.

Yes, they make it so difficult and expensive that many stop trying. Try 75.00 transfer fee's, 50.00 DROS fees and and a % of the purchase price if you didnt order it from the transferring FFL

For what its worth I quoted the wrong person ...............heres what I meant to quote

Better leave any guns back here in LA and make sure you don't bring any mags over 10 rounds.

Dealers ship un assembled mags there as repair kits all the time

dukeryder

RedRyder Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2007
    New Orleans
    Stumbled on this thread

California is huge the problem with the government being broke goes far beyond having too many social programs and too many illegal aliens. If it were a simple problem it would have been solved by now.

If you compare the size of Louisiana's Economy it's roughly 1/10th of California's. On a Global scale California has the 8th largest economy in the World!
    http://www.visualeconomics.com/california-vs-the-world_2010-05-10/

Economically and politically speaking Louisiana is pretty poor, if the politicians had their **** together they wouldn't have let Oil companies come to Louisiana use the blue collar working class the process the stuff while all the big money and profits went over to Houston TX!

There's plenty of Liberals in Louisiana just as there's plenty of normal and conservative people in California; heck there's even some constitution loving patriotic Libertarians there too! I've spent a lot of time working in the San Jose area (Silicon Valley) and every major software, computer and electronics company has a huge office here. While China may be assembling commercial and consumer electronics hardware, the brain trust is here where all the technology is developed, Intel just invented a revolutionary processor, defense contractors are developing all kinds of missile and surveillance technology here as well. That's right ICBMs are built right in the SF hippies back yard. If you look at a map of where the gun hating liberal voters are you'll see they're pretty much concentrated around LA & SF.

I've met many gun nuts here as well. There's even a guy at the range who's personalized license plate is "M1911A1". Sure buying guys is a MF'er and you can't have standard magazine and you have to put a "Bullet Button" in your "Assault Rifle" and you have wait a week for a handgun back ground check but it's still not as bad as Massachusetts!

I'm not big into hunting personally but I've seen more game animals here in just a few months than I've seen in YEARS of living in LA. Since October I've seen, Mule Deer, Black tail deer, herds of Elk, a mountain lion, bob cat, pheasant a gazillion turkey and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Taxes in CA suck but LA isn't that far behind!!!! Some areas here are very expensive to live but for example a house in Slidell that would be about $180K could be had for $160K out in the Central Valley similar commute distances between there and the SF bay area and Slidell and New Orleans. Traffic is much worse though.

When it comes to pretty much everything else California is pretty kick ass. The roads here for riding motorcycles are great, sure the appalachians have the best pavement but in CA you can ride for 100+ miles of twisting roads with no traffic, towns and epic scenery. Dirt bike riding is great too, many many federal, state or county riding places that are cheap or free to ride. Mountain biking, skiing, camping and host of other outdoor activities are some of the best in the country. And the weather is pretty great too. Monterrey has an avg high temp of 68* and low of 62*!

If I didn't have to work in the middle of Silicon Valley I'd think hard about permanently relocating here but I can't stand commuting and traffic but I'm enjoying the time I spend here.

Last edited:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Goddamnit dukerryder, don't you mess up this forum with your FACTS and REASONING. We just wanna **** on an entire state to make ourselves feel better, and continue circle jerking eachother.

AMURIKA **** YEA!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom