Wisdom teeth help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mirror

Out on the Track
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    So guys, earlier today I had my wisdom teeth surgically removed and it's been a terrible day. Hurts like hell and the oxycodone barely takes the edge off. Spent most of my day sleeping or watching My Name Is Earl. Any of you medical guys got any good secret tips for me to help with this? Thanks BayouShooters.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    When I had mine removed (3 years ago), I tried to sleep a lot, whenever I woke up, I took a pain pill, drank a lot of fluids, and ate ice cream (i ate 3 .5gallons of mint-chocolate chip bluebell).

Try to let the ice cream sit on the back of your gums, until it melts, then take another bite, repeat.

24 was my show of choice.

Make sure to rinse the sockets out when you start eating, and for the love of god, don't use straws or anything like that... man, my sister got dry sockets when her's were taken out...talk about pain!

Good luck, after a couple days the pain went away, except for my jaw... it was a little tender for awhile.

Aaron

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Cut the sleeve off a t shirt. Put a cold pack on each cheek and put the sleeve around your head to hold them on. Take a pain pill and relax. It'll suck for a few days.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Do you have any Alieve? (Naproxen Sodium)? They helped me a lot when I broke my collar bone. Prescription naproxen was 500 mg per pill and over the counter is 250mg per pill.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Large doses of advil was the only thing that sort of helped when I got a dry socket, what they say is true it is the worst pain you have ever felt.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Something you might want to try. I had a family member get dry socket after having a tooth pulled. She took an aspirin and let desolve on top of it. Said it really helped. I had my top two pulled and the bottom two cut out the same day and had 3 stitches on each lower jaw. Never had any pain at all, unless bit down on something hard on the bare gum. Oh, it would probably work best if the aspirin was a non-coated so it would desolve easier.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    This thread title had the potential to be the worst BS.com disaster of all time! I feared the worst.

I hope all goes well with coping with the pain.

What, like someone suggesting whiskey with the oxycodone? I think that would be the best way.
    Stop taking the pills when you start to itch!

Seriously, Add alleve between doses of the oxycodone, it will help.

Mirror

Out on the Track
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    What is dry socket? I've been through a lot of pain, from shattered bones to punctured lungs and this hurts, but probably mainly because the oxycodone is nowhere near as strong as morphine. My main problem is not puking every time I try and take the medicine. I'm working on grinding it up and dissolving it in a powerade solution at the moment, but I can still majorly taste it because oxycodone does not dissolve well. Any tips on taking the pill or just the usual, "MAN UP AND SWALLOW YOU THAT DAMN PILL BOY!" Thank you all very much for your tips and wishes. I hope to be back out shooting and living my life by this weekend hopefully.

Mirror

Out on the Track
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Tell you what though, when I can eat solid food again, first damn meal I'm getting, is gonna be a huge MOUNTAIN of hotwings. God I miss those delicious little pieces of heaven. Maybe even some celery and blue cheese, just for the tradition of it.

Last edited:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    The Advil/Ibuprofen advice is good and so is the no alcohol w/hydrocodone. That will slow yer breathing enough to kill ya pretty easily brother! I will add take a couple of Benedrils and it will help ya sleep.

Mirror

Out on the Track
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The Advil/Ibuprofen advice is good and so is the no alcohol w/hydrocodone. That will slow yer breathing enough to kill ya pretty easily brother! I will add take a couple of Benedrils and it will help ya sleep.

Thanks. Imma try this after I finish my jello.

Last edited:

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Dry socket, normally on the lower extraction, kicks in when the blood clot detaches itself and exposes bone. Then open bone connects with air, spit, food and YeOwwwwwwwwww. You hope dying doesn't feel this bad. Don't smoke, don't suck on straws, hard candy or ice. Do exactly what the post op instructions say.
    Don't chase the pain, take the script as often as it says so that you can rest comfortably. Others have mentioned to toss advil in between doses.

Top Bottom