World's Fastest disarm?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    In a static situation where the target is unarmed, the POA can be shifted to the chest/hips. The lower body can not move as fast as the head and hands. Also, keep the elbows close in to the body, you keep more leverage in this position versus arms extended.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    When I studied Han Mu Do in Baton Rouge, we trained for something similar. The entire time we did this practice, just like the video, was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I don't care how quick you are, a bullet is quicker.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I've seen something similar done at the police academy in Monroe years ago. It's less about speed and more about "action vs. reaction".

If he starts to shoot you there is no was you can react fast enough.
    But you can move and grab the gun quicker than he can pull the trigger.
    This was done with a revolver, hammer back.

We were told to move your upper body to your strong side while using your strong hand to grab the gun pushing it in the opposite direction.
    Then the fight for the gun is on.
    As has been stated already, any change in position and it doesn't work.
    If the shooter takes one step back, shoots from count 2 retention, or has the gun point anywhere but you head, you will get shot.

We were shown this more for "don't put your gun to someones head or he might take it from you" perspective.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    When I studied Han Mu Do in Baton Rouge, we trained for something similar. The entire time we did this practice, just like the video, was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I don't care how quick you are, a bullet is quicker.

You just have to be quicker that his trigger finger. :draw:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'm no ninja, and I'm definitely not cocky about my skill level. But I assure you that guy would not get my gun. Actually, I doubt he would get anyone's gun other than during a demonstration.

Absolutely. If he could pull a gun away from anyone here who knows what count 2/retention position is I'd give him $100. Maybe use Simunitions so he'll have a physical reference of how silly he is.

Your second "quote" is different -- you would know to hold the weapon in a retention position. However, your first quote is indicative of a lack of understanding. Taking a class with William Aprill might change your outlook on these techniques.

I do not know any disarm instructors who recommend that you attempt a disarm as your "default" plan of action. But if you have good reason to believe that your "execution-by-thug" is imminent, these might be handy skills to know.

Also, virtually every disarm instructor will tell you that if the thug is 3-6 feet away -- you is dead. It's a tool with specific application. It's not a magical, 100% guaranteed solution to walking around in Condition White.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    The dude is fast, but real world application is zero. It's so damned choreographed it's nothing more than a parlor trick.

It does show that most fancy-dancy "martial arts" is useless, and you do not have time to react, unless your that old FBI agent that could draw and fire so fast you could not pull the trigger of your gun in time. That guy used an old .44 black powder revolver.
    Now, if you know how to disarm, cool. But, as said, you have to have the guy within arm's reach.

Last edited:

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    As someone who's had a gun pointed in my face more than once I can tell you there's no other feeling like it in the world. Whatever is in your mind goes away very, very fast. I was robbed once on my way home from a girlfriend's house in Algier's point one night and got held up at a stop sign in a bad part of town (anyone familiar with the point will tell you there is no way in or out without going through a bad area) and before I knew it, there it was, right through the window. I even had a Makarov in the glove box. My alertness level is much higher nowadays. That being said, one of us would be dead now over 50 bucks.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    It all depends on the circumstances. IF you can distract the guy sticking a gun in your face you might be able to pull it off. Is i worth getting shot over a few dollars? What if they are going to kill you any way what do you have to loose.

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    When I first clicked on this thread I thought I was gonna see a picture of Obama signing another Executive Order.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom