Man suffering Alzheimers shot by homeowner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2013/12/suffering_from_alzheimers_ga_m.html#incart_river_default

CHICKAMAUGA, Ga. -- The last walk that Ronald Westbrook took began as early as 1 a.m. when he slipped unnoticed from his North Georgia home with his two dogs.

It ended three hours later when Westbrook, a 72-year-old who suffered from Alzheimer's disease, knocked in the dark on a stranger's door last month. Police said a man inside that home, 34-year-old Joe Hendrix, got a .40-caliber handgun, went outside to investigate and shot Westbrook in a horrible mistake.

The unlikely collision between two strangers -- one deeply confused, another perceiving a threat -- illustrates both the difficulties that caregivers face in keeping loved ones with Alzheimer's safe and the consequences of miscalculation in a state that celebrates its gun culture.

Westbrook's widow struggles to comprehend how she lost her husband of 51 years and discussed what happened in an interview in her house this week, sitting on her couch beside her Bible.

"I can't imagine him feeling threatened by my husband, that's what surprises me," said Deanne Westbrook, 70. "Because Ron wasn't like that. He probably, I think he was so cold. He was looking for help when he was ringing that doorbell at their place. I think he just wanted somebody to help him."

Hendrix declined to comment because of the ongoing investigation. His attorney, Lee Davis, described his client as distraught. The local district attorney has not yet decided whether to press criminal charges against Hendrix for what happened on Nov. 27.

"He is not a gun-toting rights activist who's saying, 'Keep off my property,'" Davis said. "He's a man who thought he had to take action because of what he believed to be a real and imminent threat."

A retired nurse who once cared for dementia patients in a nursing home, Westbrook's wife was perhaps better equipped than most to care for a spouse with Alzheimer's. The progressive disease results in memory loss, impairs judgment and can leave its victims disoriented.

She installed door alarms to alert her if her husband tried wandering away. She was already making plans to get more advanced care at home as the disease progressed.

"I don't feel angry," she said. "I just feel sad. I never would have thought he would've (come) to an end like this. I was prepared for the Alzheimer's to get worse and for me to take care of him here. And I was going to do it."

Others can sympathize. Marylou Hable, who works for A Place for Mom, helping match families with care and living facilities, said she works with Alzheimer's patients and their families every day. Yet she still struggled when her husband's uncle came to live with them.

She took all sorts of precautions to protect him, but one night he wandered out after midnight. She and her husband were exhausted and didn't hear the alarms. Alzheimer's patients often seize on a past memory, and the uncle was trying to find the streetcar to go home to Cleveland, Ohio, even though he had moved to Michigan. He was beaten up and robbed, but luckily police contacted Hable and her husband when he turned up in the hospital.

"Here I am in the industry and I couldn't keep John safe," she said.

An incident in mid-November may have set the stage for the fatal error. Shortly after Hendrix's fiancee moved into her new rental home, a man appeared at the door just before midnight on Nov. 19. He pounded on the door while Hendrix's fiancee was alone with two children, and he demanded to see someone whom Hendrix's fiancee did not know, Davis said.

She called Hendrix, who was in nearby Chattanooga, Tenn., who told her to call 911. By the time sheriff's deputies and Hendrix arrived, the man was gone. Davis said what happened was documented in a police report.

Afterward, Hendrix took a Glock handgun that he kept in his apartment and brought it to his fiancee's home.

The following week, Deanne Westbrook woke up and noticed that her husband and the couple's two dogs were missing. Not long after, a police officer arrived to deliver the news, and the dogs were returned to her.

For reasons that are not clear, Westbrook left his home and started walking. A deputy sheriff noticed him along a road around 2:20 a.m. and stopped to ask what he was doing, Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson said. Westbrook told the officer that he was gathering mail and then planned to return to his home up a hill. While Westbrook's answers were curt, nothing about the conversation alarmed the deputy.

Wilson said barking dogs woke up Hendrix and his fiancee in her home sometime before 4 a.m. Westbrook had walked to their house, the last in a cul-de-sac. He rang the doorbell, knocked on the door and tried the handle. In what may have been a startling move, Westbrook left the front of the home and moved out of view.

The woman called 911, and Hendrix got his gun.

While the woman was on the phone with a dispatcher, Westbrook returned to the door a second time, Wilson said.

Hendrix left the house and found Westbrook outside in the dark. He told police that Westbrook ignored commands to stop, identify himself and raise his hands. The sheriff said Westbrook approached Hendrix, who fired four shots.

"Obviously, in hindsight, it's very easy to say, 'Why didn't you stay inside? Why didn't you keep the door shut?'" Davis said. "But the reality is, how long are you supposed to wait until somebody comes through your door? And had the person come through his door with his fiancee there, then what would have happened?"

Under Georgia law, people are not required to try retreating from a potential conflict before opening fire to defend themselves from serious imminent harm, said Russell Gabriel, director of the Criminal Defense Clinic at the University of Georgia. State law allows people to use lethal force to stop someone from forcibly entering a home if those inside reasonably fear they are going to be attacked. Deadly force can even be used to stop someone from trying to forcibly enter a home to commit a felony.

"Different people have a different understanding of what is reasonable," Gabriel said. "Reasonableness is a classic jury question."

This doesn't look good.

JR1572

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Only those will Alzheimer's can rightfully comment. Training to deal with it doesn't count, that just makes you a weekend warrior/derp. Kidding..

I'd feel bad for both parties. According to some people I know it is legal to shoot someone if they are in your yard...

Last edited:

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    It's just a sad situation. There will be tons of argument on wether this was an homeowner in fear of his life or someone looking for trouble because of what happened the week before. My biggest question is why didn't he have a light on him? Wether it was a flashlight or a WML it may have been enough to avoid a bad situation. I had an incident happen about a year ago where I could hear someone in front of my house near my door about 11:30 pm. I got my pistol but for some reason decided to put it in my IWB (I was still dressed in jeans not pjs) and just had a flashlight to check out what the hell was going on. Believe me I kept my hand very close to the gun when I went to check it out though. It ended being a drunk friend of the neighbors that was at a football party down the block and got the houses mixed up. I said a few loud words and left it at that. His reaction may have been different if I had shoved a gun in his face. Also I may have been screwed if the person outside had different intentions. Kind of a catch 22. I usually try not to show all my cards right away though. Back to the story- it's a really sad situation that will give gun activists another bit to chomp on. A little more caution should have been used.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    My Mom had Alzheimer's & it is a horrible disease. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It also seems that most people are a little to quick to pull the trigger these days. But, looking at the increasing crime it is somewhat understandable. Either way it is a tragedy that both parties will never forget. Prayers go to everyone involved.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Poor choice of home owner to go outside. Depending on Georgia law, he may see himself in a court room. Again, we were not there and I tend to have a and time believing everything reported by the media. Prayer go to the family of both parties involved.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    What good is likely to come from opening your door to what you perceive as a threat at 4AM? Not saying you have to run or retreat, but I would not open the door If I feel threatened.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have a relative with Parkinsons and he has the beginnings of Alzheimer's as well. He's left the house on his own before in his walker and ended up down the street. He's even stopped local law enforcement to tell them his wife is trying to kill him and to help him. He's always seeing people in his house, whether its a burglar, a child, or bears (yes, bears). It's a horrible disease. His wife is struggling to stay working and maintain herself and barely sleeps because of all of this.

As for this situation, I wouldn't have opened the door. I would, however, have called 911 and my neighbor then gotten my pistol in case the entryway was breached.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Wow, no comments about training, stringing this guy up, arresting him? Nothing?

- - - Updated - - -

Poor choice of home owner to go outside. Depending on Georgia law, he may see himself in a court room. Again, we were not there and I tend to have a and time believing everything reported by the media. Prayer go to the family of both parties involved.

Why the different tone?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    he was negligent. plain and simple. how are you going to perceive a 72 yr old man as a threat? i seriously doubt he was running towards him....more like a shuffle if anything.

It's outside, it's night, probably dark, maybe even the front porch light lit up the guy from behind making seeing his face difficult.... did he even know he was old? Some 72 year olds are plenty fit. Too many factors.

The correct answer is call the police and don't go outside.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    One time I was driving and saw this really old guy trying to walk across the street. I stopped and waved him across but instead he walked up to my truck and just hopped in. Turns out he had Alzheimer's and was trying to walk to a grocery store that hadn't existed in years. It took me forever trying to figure out where he lived as he had no idea. Finally came upon a neighborhood where there were quite a few people on foot seemingly looking for something. They were looking for him. I felt bad for the old guy, he said he was walking t o the store to get some prunes. I drove around for atleast an hour trying to get him home. Alzheimer's is a very sad disease.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Why is no one making assumptions about this guys training level yet? He put his self In that situation voluntarily instead of calling the police and letting them handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Why is no one making assumptions about this guys training level yet? He put his self In that situation voluntarily instead of calling the police and letting them handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About half a dozen people have already said he should have stayed inside. Nobody is questioning his training because he didn't shoot two bystanders. We get it, you are trying to compare the reactions between this thread and the other one. There is no legitimate comparison as the events aren't remotely the same.

Stop trolling.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom