Man suffering Alzheimers shot by homeowner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    An elderly woman with alzhiemrs that lives a few doors down just walked in through the neighbors backdoor one night when they were eating dinner. Said it scared the crap out of them.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    My thinking is it was a bad shooting, because it so easily could have been avoided. But, I was not there, don't know GA gun laws. The police chose not to arrest him, this is telling to me. Much like a recent case in Florida, the shooter was not arrested after hours of questioning at the police station. Not a fan of how that shooting happened, but a jury decided no law was broken in that one.

The media non-reaction is interesting.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    he was negligent. plain and simple. how are you going to perceive a 72 yr old man as a threat? i seriously doubt he was running towards him....more like a shuffle if anything.

Shuffling is indicative of Parkinsons. Alzheimers effects cognitive processes. So sad for both parties.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Just think how much different Rodney Peairs life would be he would have left that door closed and waited for EBRSO

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I'd like to know exactly what the old man was doing when the shooter was calling out instructions to him. Was he just standing there w hands by his side? Was he continuing to move forward? Was he saying anything?

We'll never know if we know the real truth. Guy should have stayed in his freaking house. Sherriff said the shooter broke no laws, and clearly felt his life was threatened. I'm not sure what their options are as far as charging the shooter.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Well then that brings in criminal intent right? This wasn't an accident? He aimed and hit his target.

And the Sherriff said the shooter clearly felt his life was threatened.....so I don't understand your comment? Are you, a leo, advising people not to hit their target when they feel their life is threatened?

:dunno:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    And the Sherriff said the shooter clearly felt his life was threatened.....so I don't understand your comment? Are you, a leo, advising people not to hit their target when they feel their life is threatened?

:dunno:

Feeling your life is threatened isn't as simple as saying you feel your life is threatened. I, as an LEO, am saying that you can't shoot someone and say "I felt my life was threatened" and expect it to end at that.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I'd like to know exactly what the old man was doing when the shooter was calling out instructions to him. Was he just standing there w hands by his side? Was he continuing to move forward? Was he saying anything?

We'll never know if we know the real truth. Guy should have stayed in his freaking house. Sherriff said the shooter broke no laws, and clearly felt his life was threatened. I'm not sure what their options are as far as charging the shooter.

Don't be naive. The only CLEAR thing is that the shooter CLAIMED he felt his life was threatened. The details of which will come out in court and probably land this guy a long jail sentence.

If a elderly man with alzheimers was so scary that he required deadly force to deal with then your world is far too scary.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    "Hendrix left the house and found Westbrook outside in the dark. He told police that Westbrook ignored commands to stop, identify himself and raise his hands. The sheriff said Westbrook approached Hendrix, who fired four shots."

:rolleyes:

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Feeling your life is threatened isn't as simple as saying you feel your life is threatened. I, as an LEO, am saying that you can't shoot someone and say "I felt my life was threatened" and expect it to end at that.

I'm not saying it should end at that either....he has to have substance to back up his claim.

If a elderly man with alzheimers was so scary that he required deadly force to deal with then your world is far too scary.

Same could be said for cops who shoot small dogs lol

But who's to say at 4am, in the low-light or dark that he knew the man was 72?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I'm not saying it should end at that either....he has to have substance to back up his claim.

Same could be said for cops who shoot small dogs lol

But who's to say at 4am, in the low-light or dark that he knew the man was 72?

The problem is when you leave the light of your house to go play stick up in the dark yard, you now have almost thrown your self defense claim out the window. A lot will hinge upon the laws of his state.

Those little ankle biting bastards hurt man. :D

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    The problem is when you leave the light of your house to go play stick up in the dark yard, you now have almost thrown your self defense claim out the window. A lot will hinge upon the laws of his state.

If self defense is thrown out the window b/c you leave your house (not sure why that would be the case), then this case could get interesting.

Those little ankle biting bastards hurt man. :D

lol

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    If self defense is thrown out the window b/c you leave your house (not sure why that would be the case), then this case could get interesting.

lol

Self defense being thrown out due to leaving the house is a bit of an over-simplification, but in essence, you can't claim you were in fear for your life when you were the aggressor in a conflict. There is a big difference in shooting somebody when they just broke down your door and going out into the yard and shooting somebody because they won't obey your commands.

Top Bottom