Question to those that sell on here

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    So as you guys see, I'm selling a bunch of stuff to buy a vehicle with the eventual dream of living on a sailboat. I've come across a LOT of similar people during this life experience who want to buy the things I own and the first question is "What's your bottom line". It's expected of Craigslist and I've come to expect it on those Facebook Swap groups.

I've always viewed BayouShooter as more a community than one of those sites that is only about buy/sell. Most of the people I've run into on this forum that are "new members" have been the craigslist type. Is the stuff I'm selling priced too high or is it just these new people come in and expect to rip off as many as they can to resell for a profit?

Luckily all the old timers I dealt with knew what my stuff was worth, bargained a little with me to put it at what they think they should pay for it, and then the deal is done successfully and everyone's happy. Thank you all for that.

The rest of you, I don't know how you sleep at night. $100 offer to my face for a Glock 17? Lowballing me on ammo and when it's time to meet up I get the "All I got is this so take it or leave it". Giving someone a huge discount on ammo just to be told "Yea I don't feel like driving unless you sell me that $700 rifle for $500".

Is this the new normal?

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    People who change the deal upon arrival are shitty, should be deported or banned or whatnot, we do not negotiate with terrorists. Treat them like the assholes that they are. Also the complete lowballs (like your $100 glock example) are purely time wasting. Irritating but that's just people and the internet so you have to ignore it.

However, there has to be some incentive to purchase something second hand. Very often I see people listing stuff for full retail, or even above, for stuff you can walk in and buy in the store same day. E.g. a new 4th gen Glock 17 is about $539.00. Why would I pay that price to some guy with one second hand? As far as tax, fees, whatnot, you can buy during a sales tax holiday, or order online and there are many cheap ffl transfers around. I would rather buy it new from dealer with no stories, unless there is some significant savings used (even used LNIB or NIB). There needs to be compensation for the unknown (+ travel like you mentioned).

On your $700 rifle example, if you were far away I'd rather find one nearby, or if I could get one new for about $700 I'd just buy that one. There has to be some incentive (price) to lure me in. A $200 discount might be a bit much, but again it might be reasonable.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Well to be fair the guy on the ammo told me that before we met. It was like "I can meet right now but all I have is $X". I mean it went from $33 to $28 to $25. In the end it was the principle of the thing. I'd rather throw the ammo away than reward someone for such behavior. This was after he had me put it in a box and tape it up with bubble wrap to give him a shipping quote because he was too lazy to drive and meet me somewhere. Then he realized that spending $10 on shipping was too much. The guy with the Glock I literally kicked him out of my apartment. What an insult to someone's face to offer $100 after agreeing to pay $400.

I hear you on the incentive. I have wiggle room. I'm especially interested in selling bulk so it's more out of my apartment and less people to deal with. I mean if someone wanted to offer me a little less for the rifle and asked for a couple mags I might take it if they pick it up from me and I don't have to hitchhike to Hammond for free delivery. Or if they want it for less and I put the factory grip and handguards on it. If someone wanted all the ammo, I was ready to knock a good bit off my most recent price lowering. I'm easy going and have gotten deals on the forum so I give them. Like the guy who bought my Glock said $400 for it with all 3 mags or it's just not worth it to me. I'm fine with that. But it's been more the "I'll give you 10% of what your item is worth, you have to jump through a dozen hoops, and then I'm going to offer even less after the fact"

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I agree... changing the deal on arrival is just a scam. However, I have seen FAR too much of "This is what I have invested in this weapon and I want full retail price for each piece and the weapon". I always check the pricing on Gunbroker and consider the lowest price before I make any offers or deals to anyone.

If you got yourself in a jam by spending too much for a weapon, why try to squeeze it out of someone else when you know its not worth it... LNIB is still used and should be listed as such. NIB is New... never fired... and can be listed close to retail, however I wouldn't say I would pay retail because once you take it home, anything could have been done to the weapon. I am with JadeRaven... why would I buy a used weapon for the same price or higher as a brand new one? Unless it came with accessories, upgrades or extra magazines... which again shouldn't be listed at full retail.

As for Ammo... there's a reason why most places won't take ammo back on a return. I don't buy used ammo unless I know exactly what I'm getting and I inspect if before purchase... could be reloads someone packed into a box... could be totally different rounds than what the box says.

All-in-all... use the review system for a user who doesn't follow through or tries to scam a purchase. Call them out and let everyone know who they are so it can't continue in the future.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This place has all but turned in to a giant classified section. That's what classifieds lure. All the "old timers" have either left or were banned! :mamoru:

I do agree with Jade on this; anyone that reneges on a pre-established deal is a complete pile of s**t!

Oh, and your crazy for letting people come buy guns at your house if you don't know them or get a personal referral from a personal friend or associate!

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I've had a mixed bag. I was selling several cases of 5.45 Russian a few years ago. I had one guy that agreed to $150 and showed up and said he only had $100. I got in my truck and drove off without saying a word to him. I should have gave him the "does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch" line first but we all have regrets.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah it sounds like you've encountered some real worthless individuals on here. You'll get better at ignoring them as you encounter more... some you just can't avoid but others you just have to say "sorry buddy price is firm, I'm sure you'll find something else though" if you get the feeling they are less than 100%.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yeah it sounds like you've encountered some real worthless individuals on here. You'll get better at ignoring them as you encounter more... some you just can't avoid but others you just have to say "sorry buddy price is firm, I'm sure you'll find something else though" if you get the feeling they are less than 100%.

Can anonymous "guests" see these ads? I truly don't know. Cause if they can; that's where your losers are most likely to be lurking.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Oooo... I think they can. To send a PM though it requires registering, but that really only takes a moment so it's not a big deterrent.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    So am I asking too much? My problem is I don't know what it's worth. I went into a gun buying craze back in 2010 and lost interest. I can check prices and see what something sells for now and I have emails that say what I paid for it. If I'm way off I want someone to tell me. This is why I hate you can't reply in classified sections. I still feel that should be a toggle and up to the seller but I don't run this place. I just know everyone wants a deal and they want to haggle and feel they saved $50 so it makes people inflate their price by $50 expecting that. I set my stuff at the "This is what I feel it's worth from the 20 minutes of research I put into it".

This place has all but turned in to a giant classified section. That's what classifieds lure. All the "old timers" have either left or were banned! :mamoru:

I do agree with Jade on this; anyone that reneges on a pre-established deal is a complete pile of s**t!

Oh, and your crazy for letting people come buy guns at your house if you don't know them or get a personal referral from a personal friend or associate!

Yea that was after I went to Dallas for a solid week for a trade show and got maybe 4 hours of sleep total throughout the entire week. I was way out of it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Bosco,
    I will respond to the 9mm Defensive ammunition you have listed.
    Good Defensive 9mm new in 50 round boxes can be purchased in the 50c per round to 55c per round range without burning any gas.
    Yours is listed below.

Personal Protection Ammo - Buy it all for $150 $130
    Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115GR - 21 loose (stamped F C 9mm Luger) - 47¢ ea - $9.87 $8
    Winchester Ranger 147GR- 44 boxed (stamped Win 9mm Luger) - 48¢ ea - $12.12 $10
    Winchester PDX1 Defender 147GR - 45 loose (stamped Win 9mm Luger +P) - $1.10 ea - $49.50 $40
    Speer Gold Dot 124GR - 100 boxed (stamped Speer 9mm Luger) - 52¢ ea - $52 $40
    Speer Gold Dot +P 124GR - 36 loose (stamped Speer 9mm Luger +P) - 89¢ ea - $32.04 $30
    Hornady Critical Defense 115GR - 18 loose (stamped Hornady 9mm Luger) - 70¢ ea - $12.60 $10

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    For this? http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...oy-folding-sight-ErgoGrip-amp-B5-SOPMOD-Stock

First it looks like you've only had it up for about a week. Give it more time.

Price wise I honestly don't know... seems reasonable but I haven't priced all that stuff out. Only drawback IMO with custom AR's is that everyone has their own idea of what they want, although yours looks like it should be attractive to most.

If others have expressed interest in parts, it might be worth splitting it up if you can make more money that way or sell more quickly, but then you have to sell in several transactions vs one which is a PIA.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Bosco,
    I will respond to the 9mm Defensive ammunition you have listed.
    Good Defensive 9mm new in 50 round boxes can be purchased in the 50c per round to 55c per round range without burning any gas.
    Yours is listed below.

Personal Protection Ammo - Buy it all for $150 $130
    Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115GR - 21 loose (stamped F C 9mm Luger) - 47¢ ea - $9.87 $8
    Winchester Ranger 147GR- 44 boxed (stamped Win 9mm Luger) - 48¢ ea - $12.12 $10
    Winchester PDX1 Defender 147GR - 45 loose (stamped Win 9mm Luger +P) - $1.10 ea - $49.50 $40
    Speer Gold Dot 124GR - 100 boxed (stamped Speer 9mm Luger) - 52¢ ea - $52 $40
    Speer Gold Dot +P 124GR - 36 loose (stamped Speer 9mm Luger +P) - 89¢ ea - $32.04 $30
    Hornady Critical Defense 115GR - 18 loose (stamped Hornady 9mm Luger) - 70¢ ea - $12.60 $10

I went to gundeals and looked up each specific brand and the price per round was the lowest no tax no shipping price. I know some ammo is more expensive than others brand new. Does that change with used ammo? I can modify the prices, I was just starting with a baseline and figured honest people would tell me "It's worth this, this is what I'll pay".

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    For this? http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...oy-folding-sight-ErgoGrip-amp-B5-SOPMOD-Stock

First it looks like you've only had it up for about a week. Give it more time.

Price wise I honestly don't know... seems reasonable but I haven't priced all that stuff out. Only drawback IMO with custom AR's is that everyone has their own idea of what they want, although yours looks like it should be attractive to most.

If others have expressed interest in parts, it might be worth splitting it up if you can make more money that way or sell more quickly, but then you have to sell in several transactions vs one which is a PIA.

That one and these other 3 threads.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?134123
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?134125
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?134114

I've had lots of inquiries and have been more than accommodating to everyone who messaged me. But 90% of the inquiries were blah and the 10% that were honest got their item at the price they felt was fair. So it's just disheartening. I mean I've had people ask me if I'd strip down everything off one of the AR's and just sell the upper without a handguard for pennies.

And yea I was considering breaking stuff up a little but I have so much to sell it's going to be more crappy people to deal with. Ugh.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I went to gundeals and looked up each specific brand and the price per round was the lowest no tax no shipping price. I know some ammo is more expensive than others brand new. Does that change with used ammo? I can modify the prices, I was just starting with a baseline and figured honest people would tell me "It's worth this, this is what I'll pay".

It will probably take some time to get a good offer unless you really discount it a lot.

Personally I prefer new boxed ammo to loose rounds, but it's not really a big deal.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That one and these other 3 threads.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?134123
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?134125
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?134114

I've had lots of inquiries and have been more than accommodating to everyone who messaged me. But 90% of the inquiries were blah and the 10% that were honest got their item at the price they felt was fair. So it's just disheartening. I mean I've had people ask me if I'd strip down everything off one of the AR's and just sell the upper without a handguard for pennies.

And yea I was considering breaking stuff up a little but I have so much to sell it's going to be more crappy people to deal with. Ugh.

Too bad you don't have a bush hog for sale. I put an 8ft one on Louisiana Sportsman and Craigslist and got two dozen people begging me to sell it to them. Who knew? :dunno:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    However, I have seen FAR too much of "This is what I have invested in this weapon and I want full retail price for each piece and the weapon". I always check the pricing on Gunbroker and consider the lowest price before I make any offers or deals to anyone.

If you got yourself in a jam by spending too much for a weapon, why try to squeeze it out of someone else when you know its not worth it... LNIB is still used and should be listed as such. NIB is New... never fired... and can be listed close to retail, however I wouldn't say I would pay retail because once you take it home, anything could have been done to the weapon. I am with JadeRaven... why would I buy a used weapon for the same price or higher as a brand new one? Unless it came with accessories, upgrades or extra magazines... which again shouldn't be listed at full retail.

I'm guilty of this in the past. Learned my lesson after not selling it for months, though :mamoru:

If you have transactions go bad, use the iTrader tool. I don't remember ever dealing with somebody without checking their iTrader score first. The one deal I had that I didn't like was a guy who basically wanted me to give him a sales pitch over the phone first. I was like dude, it's an M&P. There's nothing fancy to it. Either buy it or don't; either way, quit wasting my time.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

People do not want 18 of this and 22 of that and 35 of the other for Defensive ammunition at above retail prices. Most shooters want to load their magazines with the same Defensive ammunition. You listed Gold Dot 124+P for 89c per round when it sells new in 50 round boxes for approximately 50c per round and the 124+P Gold Dot is about as good as it gets in 9mm Defensive ammunition so why pay more for any other 9mm round.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    People do not want 18 of this and 22 of that and 35 of the other for Defensive ammunition at above retail prices. Most shooters want to load their magazines with the same Defensive ammunition. You listed Gold Dot 124+P for 89c per round when it sells new in 50 round boxes for approximately 50c per round and the 124+P Gold Dot is about as good as it gets in 9mm Defensive ammunition so why pay more for any other 9mm round.

Where's a good place to get prices on ammo? I was going by gun-deals but seems like that site isn't updated as well as I thought.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Here is a small list of defensive ammunition available today. These lists change on a regular basis..

50 round box - 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124 grain Standard Pressure LE Hollow Point Ammo 53618 99 As low as $23.95
    50 round box - 9mm Luger +P+ Speer Gold Dot 115 grain Hollow Point LE Ammo - 53612 15 As low as $24.95
    50 round box - 9mm Luger Speer Gold Dot 115 Grain Hollow Point LE Ammo - 53614 40 As low as $24.95
    50 round box - 9mm Luger +P 115 Grain HTP Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo by Remington - RTP9MM6 154 As low as $19.75
    50 rd box - 9mm Hornady Critical Duty LE 135 grain standard pressure hollow point ammo 90235 88 As low as $26.95
    25 round box - 9mm Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain Hollow point Ammo - 90250 43 As low as $18.49
    250 round case - 9mm Hornady Critical Defense 115gr Hollow point 90250 4 As low as $184.90
    50 round box - 9mm Federal Hydra Shok 124 GR Hollow point P9HS1G1 27 As low as $24.95
    25 round box - 9mm Luger Remington Golden Saber 124 grain - BJHP Brass Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo - GS9MMB 134 As low as $12.95
    25 round box - 9mm Luger +P Remington Golden Saber 124 grain BJHP Ammo GS9MMD 190 As low as $11.49
    25 round box - 9mm Luger Remington Golden Saber 147 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo - GS9MMC 435 As low as $12.49
    25 Round Box - 9mm Luger 147 Grain XTP Hollow Point Ammo by Hornady - 90282 286 As low as $15.95

Top Bottom