Age 21

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm wondering if we should embrace the age 21 rule. Its already the drinking age. lets face it, 21 year olds today are not as mature as some of us were at that age. Nope... lets just accept that they're not mature enough, nor are they mature enough to vote. Lets change the age of majority across the board. Then lets watch and see how fast the democrats run from this so they don't have to give up all those snowflake voters!

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Totally agree...It is a damn shame that you can die for country before you are old enough to buy your own drink. If an 18 year old is not mature enough for alcohol or a rifle, why should they have to go to war or vote?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Then raise the selective service age to 21, you can still volunteer at 18.

Oh, and while we're at it... we should 'card' at the voting booth to make sure you're 21. :)

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I'm okay with the age being 21, but I wouldn't mind an exemption for Mil/LE under 21.

When I was 18, I didn't bother buying anything. I shot all of my Dad's guns.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Considering a lot of mental illnesses manifest themselves between 18 and 21 I'd be OK with it.
    I'm not OK with simple concessions though, what are we getting in return?

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I work on LSU's campus and have 20 students who work under me, I can tell you most of the students should not even have a drivers license much less a gun. They get their news from Fakebook, none of them have ever turned on any newscast, not that that's not a bad thing these day. They are only interested in Snapchat, Twitter, and video games. They cannot live with their cell phones in thier hands, they may miss a Snap or text from someone if they don't. It is real scary these days. Raising the age limit may not be a bad things because the maturity level of these kids is no where near it was when I was that age.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Also should not be allowed to drive a 3000lb hunk of metal at speeds possibly up to 200mph. If they are mentally incompetent because they are 18-21 years old maybe they should be put in a facility for the insane till the gov deems them same to integrate back into society. How far are they willing to go? They are throwing a blanket over every 18-21 year old male and female saying they are irresponsible and mentally unfit. Madness I say.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Also should not be allowed to drive a 3000lb hunk of metal at speeds possibly up to 200mph.

Most of them are too immature to handle the responsibility of drive a car between the ages of 16-19. Even some over that age. Too much texting and driving. I saw one the other day on the I-12 in 5 0'Oclock traffic driving 65, cigarette in one hand phone in the other, steering with her knees. I feel real safe with these kids around me!

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I’m also ok with it but I’d like the age to vote and become mil/Leo to be raised also.

The LE side is more of a case by case basis. Not all LEA allow 18 year old people into the academy. Some require an Associate's Degree minimum. The time taken to do so would put you closer to 21 years of age.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd rather work on weeding out the actual threats by cleaning up a broken system than punish an entire group of people. Chances are, if the deficiencies are still there, Nutball-Americans will still be roaming around unnoticed when they reach the age of 21, anyway. Let's remember the little SOB in Florida was a living, breathing warning sign- and the system failed.

I'm just not a fan of the "hang 'em all and get the guilty" mentality. And if this is about reducing or eliminating mass shootings, in how many of the major cases was the attacker under 21? Not many. But the common denominator was still mental issues, and warning signs that were apparently ignored.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I saw this earlier. I mean...it is something to consider. Just not sure how raising the age would help much. But those pushing it are happy to “get what they can”. Just my opinion.

f4a20038341530856de093c3becc28f1.jpg

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I'd rather work on weeding out the actual threats by cleaning up a broken system than punish an entire group of people. Chances are, if the deficiencies are still there, Nutball-Americans will still be roaming around unnoticed when they reach the age of 21, anyway. Let's remember the little SOB in Florida was a living, breathing warning sign- and the system failed.

I'm just not a fan of the "hang 'em all and get the guilty" mentality. And if this is about reducing or eliminating mass shootings, in how many of the major cases was the attacker under 21? Not many. But the common denominator was still mental issues, and warning signs that were apparently ignored.

How do you propose we screen mental health issues without violating HIPAA or at worst case wrongfully deeming someone mentally ill, because their doctor prescribed them an anti-depressant for back pain?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    How do you propose we screen mental health issues without violating HIPAA or at worst case wrongfully deeming someone mentally ill, because their doctor prescribed them an anti-depressant for back pain?

Man- I'm not saying I have all the answers- I have no effing clue how you achieve a happy medium, and am not being asked. But how many times do the police have to visit someone's house for doing all things crazy before the NICS takes notice? Is this thing on?? :dunno:

None of us over 21 want to be held responsible for the actions of criminals and crazies, right? I think it's at least somewhat hypocritical to sacrifice everyone from 18-21 for the same basic reasoning.

Their next move will be to make possession under 21 illegal, too. Watch. Would we be willing to surrender that, as well? Let's remember- this is a ban based largely on the cosmetics of the weapon. Then they'll ask why you need a semi-auto anything for hunting purposes. Hello.

Remember who you're playing ball with. They won't stop here.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    When I turned 21 I was already married for 2 years, my son was 6 months old, and i was at the end of my 4 year term of enlistment in the Army station in Baghdad Iraq for a 12 month tour. Then when i came home for mid-tour i still couldn't drink. Not everyone is immature at the age of 18-21.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If you have to be 21 to purchase a firearm then:

You should have to be 21 to enter into a contract.(This includes cell phone contracts)

You should have to be 21 to vote.

You should be 21 to be able to enter military service.

You should be 21 to be able to operate a motor vehicle.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    That mentality is how we have come to this in the first place.

What I said was I'm NOT OK with just giving them their way for nothing.
    Example: If we were to agree to raising the EBR age to 21 we should demand something in return. National reciprocity? Hearing protection act? SBRs? Just not for the sake of being left alone for now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom