Bubba Bob in his jacked up 4x4 just cost me a windshield -- A$$h@l3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Well, my new truck will now need a new windshield......thanks to the Bubba Bob with the jacked up 4 x 4 with the F-ing tires extending 5" past the fender wells....

I went to safelight....crack ran right through my line of vision...…$250 deductible. F-ing a$$h@l3.

It seems anybody can do any damn thing to a vehicle without consequences in this state.....f-ing pissed.:curse::curse::curse:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    my girl got her windshield cracked by gravel coming off a non plated trailer with equipment on it. lsp told her unless she has a plate nothing they can do(even tho she was behind them at the time).

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    LEO question. Most states that I have lived in have laws and enforce violations of wheels being outside the fender, certain portion of the tire being covered, etc. LRS 32-364 requires that fenders cover the entire width of the tire. Why isn't it enforced?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    LEO question. Most states that I have lived in have laws and enforce violations of wheels being outside the fender, certain portion of the tire being covered, etc. LRS 32-364 requires that fenders cover the entire width of the tire. Why isn't it enforced?

I see 4x4 lifted pickup trucks all the time with big wide tires outside the fenders. Same with illegal window tint on any car or truck (cannot see driver at all, bright day light). Seems to me local LEOs don't enforce these low hanging regulations/violations.

And why are not these smoked plastic license plate covers illegal? Or maybe they are?

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    There's one here on Ponchatoula that is not even lifted, but has the tires at least 6" outside the fender wells. Drives up and down Main Street all the time with no reaction from the cops. Looks pretty stupid as well.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Wow - just read LRS 32-364........yep, LEO's definitely don't enforce this law......all they do is write highway speeding tickets when it comes to traffic violations, I guess that's where the big money is.

Meanwhile I'm out 2-fity.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

The short answer is time. Tires must be covered by a fender. License plate must be able to be read from 50 feet. Headlights are to be between 18 and 54 inches from the ground. Vehicle must have an undistorted side mirror on the diver's side (think doorless jeep). Off road lighting must be covered up on a public road. And widows should not be tinted more than a set amount. I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head. Yes, all those are easy ticket. The police could spend all shift pulling people over and issuing tickets. The time they spend doing that is time they can't spend elsewhere. So with more stuff to do than time to do it in, things have to be prioritized. That low hanging fruit is also a low priority. They tend to become "add-ons" when there is a "bigger" issue. Stop someone for running a red light and add on the tire/fender violation. The fender law is important to you right now because if cost you $250. Would it be as important to you if you had just been robbed and only one unit responded because the other units were writing tickets for fenders or unreadable license plates or for using fog lights instead of headlights?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The short answer is time. Tires must be covered by a fender. License plate must be able to be read from 50 feet. Headlights are to be between 18 and 54 inches from the ground. Vehicle must have an undistorted side mirror on the diver's side (think doorless jeep). Off road lighting must be covered up on a public road. And widows should not be tinted more than a set amount. I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head. Yes, all those are easy ticket. The police could spend all shift pulling people over and issuing tickets. The time they spend doing that is time they can't spend elsewhere. So with more stuff to do than time to do it in, things have to be prioritized. That low hanging fruit is also a low priority. They tend to become "add-ons" when there is a "bigger" issue. Stop someone for running a red light and add on the tire/fender violation. The fender law is important to you right now because if cost you $250. Would it be as important to you if you had just been robbed and only one unit responded because the other units were writing tickets for fenders or unreadable license plates or for using fog lights instead of headlights?

T, I respect you and ur reply. Low hanging fruit and mostly a time issue I figured. But when its so widespread, without enforcement it becomes admissable. In the Hammond area, patrol deputies could write citations entire shift for the little things. Easy revenue for the departments and city.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If 2 or 3 officers were hired to just write tickets for violations like these, would they not pay for themselves?

Probably not. Most da's offices don't prosecute non-hazardous violations if the problem is fixed. And the breakdown on where the money goes would amaze you. Seems like everybody gets a cut. Indigent defender, da's office, all kinds of stuff. Call the sheriffs office and ask them for a copy of the breakdown.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Because those laws are f'n stupid. Almost as stupid as spending thousands to build a ridiculous looking "mud truck" that will never leave the pavement.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I've had my windshield cracked from stock trucks and cars throwing rocks.

We have roads that are tough to upkeep and we don't do a very good job of doing that. Nobody really cares either.

Go to a place with better roads, it's less common to get a windshield busted.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    T, I respect you and ur reply. Low hanging fruit and mostly a time issue I figured. But when its so widespread, without enforcement it becomes admissable. In the Hammond area, patrol deputies could write citations entire shift for the little things. Easy revenue for the departments and city.

It's like that in every big city. But if the cops concentrated on the little stuff, you'd have people complaining the cops were only writing tickets for the minor stuff to get money when they should be targeting bigger crimes, as Barry J pointed out. If you ask 20 people to prioritize how the cops spend their time, I'd bet you'd get 20 different lists, each list being dependent on what's important to each person at that time. And if you asked the same person to prioritize over a period of time, that person's lists would be a bit different each time. So no matter what the police do and how they prioritize their time, some people will not be happy.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If 2 or 3 officers were hired to just write tickets for violations like these, would they not pay for themselves?

If that were to happen, there would still be people fussing about them only being hired to generate revenue and that they should be going after the big crimes instead of hassling the working man. I know of a "code enforcement" unit consisting of one or two officers. Their job is to make sure businesses are following certain laws like permitting and stuff like that. Anytime some news hits the papers regarding a business being cited, you can expect a few people to ask why they weren't out patrolling and didn't they have better things to do with their time.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m about to need a new inspection sticker and my windshield was the victim of a “homemade dually” (dually tires with no fender extensions) that was flinging rocks. Of course, he had a bashed-up license plate that was unreadable. The crack is a triple “sine wave” across the entire windshield including the driver’s field of view. I have a $500 deductible.

Like others who have commented here and in the past, I’m frustrated by the blatant traffic offenders. Every day I witness zillions of stop sign, red-light, turn signal, equipment/tint, improper lane usage and other violations. It seems to me that added enforcement would not only pay for additional traffic officers, but could also fund additional crime / investigative officers with the increased ticket revenue.

Is that possible? Or does the agency miss out on the extra revenue because of goofy budget restrictions, bureaucracy, etc.?

Current or retired law enforcement members, are departments able to receive extra funding based on traffic citations?

When I was a kid it seemed like there were more motor officers.

Also, is there a means of online submissions of video evidence of traffic violations? Or is that precluded somehow? Can the public help in some way? Become a reserve deputy?

For years I’ve been complaining about yard services blowing trash into the storm drains. It stops them up and because of it my neighborhood floods when we get hard rain. Several months ago I had video of one particular crew doing it. I had a recording of my previous request for them to quit. I showed it to a deputy along with the cite for the statute prohibiting it. The deputy told me that unless he witnessed it, he could not act on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    The fender law is important to you right now because if cost you $250. Would it be as important to you if you had just been robbed and only one unit responded because the other units were writing tickets for fenders or unreadable license plates or for using fog lights instead of headlights?

I guess the answer to this question is "proactive" vs "reactive" -- If I had just been robbed I would have had a chance to stop it because I am armed, the police essentially come there afterwards to handle the report.

I have no chance is stopping a flying rock from an illegal vehicle modification that damages my personal property.....but my LEO's have a chance of preventing this from happening by enforcing this law. Tires don't "grow" and fenders don't "shrink". A robbery is an instantaneous event where LEO's have NO chance of preventing it unless they are in every location at every moment (impossible).

ALSO, it is amazing that these Bubba-Bob trucks can get an inspection sticker -- but again this is another state money grab with a fee that does NOT ensure what it professes to do, this is to provide a SAFETY INSPECTION -- in most instances they check Insurance, Registration & License -- that will be $20.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I guess the answer to this question is "proactive" vs "reactive" -- If I had just been robbed I would have had a chance to stop it because I am armed, the police essentially come there afterwards to handle the report.

I have no chance is stopping a flying rock from an illegal vehicle modification that damages my personal property.....but my LEO's have a chance of preventing this from happening by enforcing this law. Tires don't "grow" and fenders don't "shrink". A robbery is an instantaneous event where LEO's have NO chance of preventing it unless they are in every location at every moment (impossible).

ALSO, it is amazing that these Bubba-Bob trucks can get an inspection sticker -- but again this is another state money grab with a fee that does NOT ensure what it professes to do, this is to provide a SAFETY INSPECTION -- in most instances they check Insurance, Registration & License -- that will be $20.

LEO's have a chance of preventing you being robbed through proactive patrols when they are not writing tickets. And LEO's have a chance of catching the suspect fleeing from the scene when they are proactively patrolling instead of writing tickets. So it boils down to protecting people versus protecting property. It appears you would rather have the police protect your windshield and let the citizens fend for themselves.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Current or retired law enforcement members, are departments able to receive extra funding based on traffic citations?

Some grants a available for enforcement of specific laws. A cop may be able to work extra duty on seat belt enforcement. That time is spent on that specific issue. That's additional time on top of his regular time so it's not taking time away from his "normal" duties. But as far as I know, none of the revenue from traffic tickets goes directly to the department. As someone pointed out, some goes to the courts, the DA, the defense, and the city/state. Also, the charge may also dictate where the revenue goes. Monies from a municipal citation might be divided differently than from a state violation. If I remember correctly, with a state violation, less money stays local. All I know is my paycheck doesn't change depending on how many tickets I write.

Top Bottom