Bubba Bob in his jacked up 4x4 just cost me a windshield -- A$$h@l3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Call one of the gravel companies in greenwell springs and tell them a truck busted your windshield, I bet they can quote you the law and RS# for it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am far from expert in providing the actual law, but had a couple of friends who drove gravel trucks and thats how it was explained to me; Charlie12 can you help out here

Maybe he can. Until then, I'll have to stick with the one that says it's illegal to prevent it from spilling out of the truck.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    As the OP for this and the owner of a new windshield at my cost of $250 you guys have given a lot of good info here, not that it will change anything because we live in Louisiana and this state won't take the initiative to do anything other than what they are doing now (nothing).

But reading through the posts has given me good insight of what needs to be done:

1. Who puts the tires on? Tire and Wheel shops for the most part -- tire installers should not install tires on cars/trucks that extend past the wheel well, if they do they should be fined (make the fine to where they will NOT want to do it) and if the techs are ASE certified they lose their certifications. This should cut down on this practice substantially.

2. Force our State Inspection Stations (or the Mom & Pop car washes) who issue out these inspection stickers to actually do their job. If not, shut em' down and fine them.

3. After #1 & #2 above, the far a few who still do it will stick out like a turd in a punchbowl for the LEO's to apprehend and fine accordingly.

But, it will never happen...…..so we keep shelling out deductibles for windshields and then wonder why our insurance rates are so high.....

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    What about the rocks that are already on the roadway? Ever follow any kind of equiptment trailer and see what happens when they hit the bump at the beginning of every overpass?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Call one of the gravel companies in greenwell springs and tell them a truck busted your windshield, I bet they can quote you the law and RS# for it.

But that's not how it works. I provided the law (LA R.S. 32:383 and 383.1) that seems to indicate your claim isn't accurate. It's not up to me to back up your claim.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What about the rocks that are already on the roadway? Ever follow any kind of equiptment trailer and see what happens when they hit the bump at the beginning of every overpass?

Any vehicle can veer right off the side of the road on the interstate, run over the tire massagers, and kick up some rocks. It's not just the big trucks. And it's not just the ones with illegal fenders.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As the OP for this and the owner of a new windshield at my cost of $250 you guys have given a lot of good info here, not that it will change anything because we live in Louisiana and this state won't take the initiative to do anything other than what they are doing now (nothing).

But reading through the posts has given me good insight of what needs to be done:

1. Who puts the tires on? Tire and Wheel shops for the most part -- tire installers should not install tires on cars/trucks that extend past the wheel well, if they do they should be fined (make the fine to where they will NOT want to do it) and if the techs are ASE certified they lose their certifications. This should cut down on this practice substantially.

2. Force our State Inspection Stations (or the Mom & Pop car washes) who issue out these inspection stickers to actually do their job. If not, shut em' down and fine them.

3. After #1 & #2 above, the far a few who still do it will stick out like a turd in a punchbowl for the LEO's to apprehend and fine accordingly.

But, it will never happen...…..so we keep shelling out deductibles for windshields and then wonder why our insurance rates are so high.....

#1 is unenforceable.

"Who installed your tires?"

"I don't remember"

-OR-

"Did you install those tires that extend past the fender?"

"I installed the tires but those are not the fenders on the vehicle when I installed it"

What about wheel spacers? What if I ordered a set of tires with a back spacing that was different than factory so no shop installed the tires? No judge will (or no judge should) fine a business for the actions of a customer. All the shop has to do is have the customer sign a waiver stating they are aware of the law. It's not illegal to buy the tires, have them installed, and drive with them on the vehicle as long as it's not being driven on public roads. I know a few people who have a set of street tires and a set of off-road tires for their jeep.

http://www.lsp.org/lse_form4.html

The tires can stick out 1" from the fenders.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    But that's not how it works. I provided the law (LA R.S. 32:383 and 383.1) that seems to indicate your claim isn't accurate. It's not up to me to back up your claim.
    And I said i'm no research expert and was only passing on info as told to me by friends who drive gravel trucks for a living.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    #1 is unenforceable.

"Who installed your tires?"

"I don't remember"

-OR-

"Did you install those tires that extend past the fender?"

"I installed the tires but those are not the fenders on the vehicle when I installed it"

What about wheel spacers? What if I ordered a set of tires with a back spacing that was different than factory so no shop installed the tires? No judge will (or no judge should) fine a business for the actions of a customer. All the shop has to do is have the customer sign a waiver stating they are aware of the law. It's not illegal to buy the tires, have them installed, and drive with them on the vehicle as long as it's not being driven on public roads. I know a few people who have a set of street tires and a set of off-road tires for their jeep.

http://www.lsp.org/lse_form4.html

The tires can stick out 1" from the fenders.

Well then, that only leaves us option #3, but hey the popo are too busy to enforce -- because they are trying to protect me from a robbery. So if I continue to shell out $250 a couple times a year against my will it is about the same thing.....

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well then, that only leaves us option #3, but hey the popo are too busy to enforce -- because they are trying to protect me from a robbery. So if I continue to shell out $250 a couple times a year against my will it is about the same thing.....

Good. I guess that's settled.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    There are some solutions that could be implemented. Vehicle inspections to start. File that report with DMV- if they aren't inspected (and I mean a real inspection!) then dmv mails a ticket after 30 days. Let the inspection stations do a real check (and we all know of inspection places that will overlook tint, windshield cracks, etc.).

Set up a traffic division that handles minor traffic accidents. Give the workers training only for that. Let the cops handle real crime. Same thing with speed traps. Set pay at about the jail worker level.

Cracked windshields cost insurance companies a lot of money. Glass more and more specialized and cars have more glass. Latest problem is the lane departure system- it has to be calibrated if you replace the windshield and that's another $1000! LEO's if you want your rates to go down start enforcing trucks dropping gravel!

BTW, lowering your comprehensive deductible isn't all that expensive. Call your agent and get a quote on a $0, $50, or $100 deductible. That'll save you money if you have to replace a glass. OTOH, don't file a lot of claims!

If it’s not real police who wrote the crashes, who will issue the ticket? Who will handle the fights that happen often at crashes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If it’s not real police who wrote the crashes, who will issue the ticket? Who will handle the fights that happen often at crashes?

Accidents are a civil matter, no tickets are needed (the police report indicates fault). An officer didn't witness the event so he shouldn't be writing tickets anyway (and yes, i know the parish won't be happy with the lost revenue). As far as fights he can call for backup if its beyond his abilities to handle. If we're using deputies out of the jail system, or at least that level of training , they can handle most fights. Think of it as a progression from prison guard to traffic to road work.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    LEO's have a chance of preventing you being robbed through proactive patrols when they are not writing tickets. And LEO's have a chance of catching the suspect fleeing from the scene when they are proactively patrolling instead of writing tickets. So it boils down to protecting people versus protecting property. It appears you would rather have the police protect your windshield and let the citizens fend for themselves.
    Actually yes I would ,I can stop a robbery or assault of just about anything that the police can and even a .22 in the hand is better than a dispatcher on the phone but I can't do anything about the rock throwers or drunk drivers or idiot on the cell phones in my lane .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Accidents are a civil matter, no tickets are needed (the police report indicates fault). An officer didn't witness the event so he shouldn't be writing tickets anyway (and yes, i know the parish won't be happy with the lost revenue). As far as fights he can call for backup if its beyond his abilities to handle. If we're using deputies out of the jail system, or at least that level of training , they can handle most fights. Think of it as a progression from prison guard to traffic to road work.

Oh, I see. I guess officers who reconstruct accidents aren’t accurate in determining who should be charged because they weren’t there when it happened? And yes the officer should write a ticket if he can determine a violation took place. But I forgot, you made a statement in another thread about your taxes paying me so I guess you would know more than my 20yrs experience.

Last edited:

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I just want to say that I admire thperez1972 for sticking with this conversation in a civil manner.

Yeah, kind of expected -- you know the type, NOPD (Not Our Problem Dude) when it really is their problem to deal with because the laws are there on the books. When you ask for HIS solution, he suddenly got silent.....

I've always heard it referred to a "Police Force" -- maybe they should rename themselves to a "Police Presence".

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I see 4x4 lifted pickup trucks all the time with big wide tires outside the fenders. Same with illegal window tint on any car or truck (cannot see driver at all, bright day light). Seems to me local LEOs don't enforce these low hanging regulations/violations.

And why are not these smoked plastic license plate covers illegal? Or maybe they are?

The plastic license plate covers are illegal. I have a smoked one on my explorer, and got pulled over for it a few days ago. Plaquemines Parish pulled me, for obstructing the license plate. didn't write me a ticket or anything. just told me to take it off with a verbal warning.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Which brings us back to dmv and inspection stations...

btw, I just heard that MS did away with inspection stickers completely...

I don't think Georgia requires them either. Inspections are really a joke. All they can accomplish is that a vehicle conforms to certain guidelines on the day that the inspection is made. That leaves 364 days when it's possible that it won't meet those guidelines. If it's only about generating money for the state, just add the fee to my registration and let me go about my business. Then if a vehicle is on the road in unsafe condition, it should be an enforcement issue and a ticket written. I think there are 14 states that don't require inspections and many other states have only limited inspections.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom