Bubba Bob in his jacked up 4x4 just cost me a windshield -- A$$h@l3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    LEO's have a chance of preventing you being robbed through proactive patrols when they are not writing tickets. And LEO's have a chance of catching the suspect fleeing from the scene when they are proactively patrolling instead of writing tickets. So it boils down to protecting people versus protecting property. It appears you would rather have the police protect your windshield and let the citizens fend for themselves.

So, you are pretty much saying LEO's drive around for a presence to stop a "potential" robbery but let these things go unpunished. I cannot enforce the laws, that's what we pay LEO's to do.
    Had I been robbed I'd be out less than $250! And the perp may have a 9mm bullet wedged in his torso.....

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I guess if all the Bubba-Bob trucks would put the dump truck signs on it then they would be "legal", right??!!

tnt_TSM023.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would trade the enforcement of all minor (and some very trivial), traffic laws for the strict and comprehensive clamp down on distracted drivers. Particularly the texters!

Police time, presence, response, or whatever is not an excuse in the wave of this extremely dangerous, costly, inconvenience that is now endemic.

The next time you watch the news, and you see 7 miles of bumper to bumper traffic, try to convince yourself the shitbag that caused that was paying attention to the task at hand; driving!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I would trade the enforcement of all minor (and some very trivial), traffic laws for the strict and comprehensive clamp down on distracted drivers. Particularly the texters!

Police time, presence, response, or whatever is not an excuse in the wave of this extremely dangerous, costly, inconvenience that is now endemic.

The next time you watch the news, and you see 7 miles of bumper to bumper traffic, try to convince yourself the shitbag that caused that was paying attention to the task at hand; driving!

Agreed 100% --

thperez1972, I'm not a LEO basher but when the department's policy is selective for enforcement when something is so easy to spot it becomes a "F@ck the Police and everyone else, I'm going to do what I want". It's like raising a kid, let them get away with a bunch of small things and before you know it the big things don't matter either.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So, you are pretty much saying LEO's drive around for a presence to stop a "potential" robbery but let these things go unpunished. I cannot enforce the laws, that's what we pay LEO's to do.
    Had I been robbed I'd be out less than $250! And the perp may have a 9mm bullet wedged in his torso.....

Yes, I'm saying that officer presence is a deterrent to crime. I mean, I'm saying that now but I'm not taking credit for that observation. That's a pretty well known observation that most reasonable people will agree with.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Agreed 100% --

thperez1972, I'm not a LEO basher but when the department's policy is selective for enforcement when something is so easy to spot it becomes a "F@ck the Police and everyone else, I'm going to do what I want". It's like raising a kid, let them get away with a bunch of small things and before you know it the big things don't matter either.

That's called the broken window approach. Stop the small stuff to get the people that will be later be doing the big stuff. Some departments have a proactive unit for just that reason. Those units may not respond to regular calls for service but may rather concentrate on proactive patrols. But every department in a big city must have some sort of "selective enforcement" in the form of prioritizing their response.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    The typical moving violation is divided up into 11 different departments. Typical DUI is divided up into 13 different departments the police departments get very little if any of that money
    Wingate

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If 2 or 3 officers were hired to just write tickets for violations like these, would they not pay for themselves?

I need 2 or 3 officers added to my shift just to help handle the violent calls for service. Most PD are short handed because LE is not drawing applicants like years past. As far as the tickets paying for the officer, last I heard the PD gets just enough money to cover purchasing more ticket books while the majority goes to support the public defenders office. Maybe that has changed but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If a rock on the roadway is thrown up by the vehicle in front of you, it is a road hazard and the vehicle that threw it up is not responsible. If the rock fall from a truck, the driver is responsible, unsecured load. The problem is proving that is fell off the truck or was thrown up by the tires.

5star

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    West baton rouge
    I need 2 or 3 officers added to my shift just to help handle the violent calls for service. Most PD are short handed because LE is not drawing applicants like years past. As far as the tickets paying for the officer, last I heard the PD gets just enough money to cover purchasing more ticket books while the majority goes to support the public defenders office. Maybe that has changed but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Understood. Kind of sad.

5star

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    West baton rouge

As a motorcyclist that has had many run ins with phone distracted motorists, I agree 100%!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

My heart tends to be Libertarian, so "get government out of my way!", but this would be so tempting. It's amazing how many times I'm behind someone sitting at a green light playing on their phone, or swaying in and out of their lane playing on the phone..... It's a real problem.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There are some solutions that could be implemented. Vehicle inspections to start. File that report with DMV- if they aren't inspected (and I mean a real inspection!) then dmv mails a ticket after 30 days. Let the inspection stations do a real check (and we all know of inspection places that will overlook tint, windshield cracks, etc.).

Set up a traffic division that handles minor traffic accidents. Give the workers training only for that. Let the cops handle real crime. Same thing with speed traps. Set pay at about the jail worker level.

Cracked windshields cost insurance companies a lot of money. Glass more and more specialized and cars have more glass. Latest problem is the lane departure system- it has to be calibrated if you replace the windshield and that's another $1000! LEO's if you want your rates to go down start enforcing trucks dropping gravel!

BTW, lowering your comprehensive deductible isn't all that expensive. Call your agent and get a quote on a $0, $50, or $100 deductible. That'll save you money if you have to replace a glass. OTOH, don't file a lot of claims!

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Years and years ago the gravel industry had the law changed to their favor; if they spill gravel it is littering, if the rocks hit the road first then bounce onto your car, not considered their fault; if it falls on you car you were following too close

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Years and years ago the gravel industry had the law changed to their favor; if they spill gravel it is littering, if the rocks hit the road first then bounce onto your car, not considered their fault; if it falls on you car you were following too close

Could you point out that following too close law? The only law I am aware of does not list a minimum distance a motorist must maintain when behind a truck.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    OK, maybe not law, but taught 1 carlength for every 10 mph

If it not the law then it has no bearing on the legal issues being discussed. What about the other law you mentioned. The only law I am familiar with mentions nothing about rocks hitting the ground first being alright. If fact, it says the opposite. It says any gravel being transported by a commercial hauler shall be covered in such a manner as to prevent the load from blowing, spilling, or dropping from the vehicle.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I am far from expert in providing the actual law, but had a couple of friends who drove gravel trucks and thats how it was explained to me; Charlie12 can you help out here

Top Bottom