The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tb2

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    BR, LA
    If your gona go do it, might want to look into geting into the states nutria program, they pay you for every tail you turn in. Of course there is paper work, i think they require a w2 also, and you have to pay. But it pays way more than you have to spend to get in. Just have to find some public land, or own land, entered into the program. Im not up on all of it, just a brief summary of what its all about. But i can tell you that the smell is something you will never forget. haha..

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    State will pay $5, I think but you must have trappers license and paperwork in order, including permissions from land owners.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    $25 permit. And u have to say where ur going, what land and how u dispose of the nutira. $5 / tail.

I've been invited nuerous times just never gone.

NutriaKiller

Certified Rat Killa
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    *cough* someone say my name?
    We go several times a year, but only when it gets cold. Not only is it cooler when you go, but the cold kills the marsh and you can see them much better. With tall grass they just hunker down and you can't see them. If you want to shoot you usually end up marsh walking to scare them up. I don't know about you, but I'm lazy.
    View attachment 2370
    View attachment 2371
    View attachment 2372

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My girlfriend used to have the paper route in Killian. At Tickfaw Marina there used to be a pond right by the road when we would turn in there about 3 or 4 am there would be Nutria all over the damn place eating grass.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    *cough* someone say my name?
    We go several times a year, but only when it gets cold. Not only is it cooler when you go, but the cold kills the marsh and you can see them much better. With tall grass they just hunker down and you can't see them. If you want to shoot you usually end up marsh walking to scare them up. I don't know about you, but I'm lazy.
    View attachment 2370
    View attachment 2371
    View attachment 2372

I'm so in...

Love to shoot them little sum-bitches.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Some nutria are just tooooo cool to shoot..

DSCF0148.JPG

And sometimes you run into things that arn't quite nutria, but are still fun to shoot..

020208_08453.jpg

NutriaKiller

Certified Rat Killa
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    LOL that's my boy, bout time you signed up. I still don't know how the hell you saw that cyote.
    JM, we go to around cote blanche area, it's near cypermort point. Family has a lease out there.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    There are nutria's as big as dogs at the ATV riding place in Bonne Carre Spillway but you cant shoot in that area. Seen some huge gators in the ponds there as well that must be snackin on dem overgrown wharf rats.
    You can hunt in other areas of the spillway but its shotgun only using birdshot or buckshot during deer season.
    I used to hunt them as a kid up in west monroe at the settlement ponds and blackwater sloughs south of the Bancroft papermill and back then we used to get 6-7$ each for their hides. We would skin them out in the field and sell the green hides to the furbuyers. Now the hides are basically worthless and they pay bounties on the tails when collected in the coastal parishes since they will eat down the marshes and tunnel in the high ground areas effectively causing them to collapse and then sink below water level. That 6-7 bucks back in 1975 is probably worth 24-28 bucks apiece now. That area is in a hunting lease now and the rats have since taken over since we just about eradicated them back then. We would wade in the water up to our waists in the winter looking in hollow logs etc for them. I damn sure wouldnt do that now. I can remember water being splashed on my gun and it freezing right away when the temperature was 7 degrees and the nutrias would run across the ice. We had a dog that would retrieve them along with the ducks that we shot. I used a singleshot .22 rifle with a cheap scope on it and would make one shot kills by calling my shots.
    The very first time we encountered them paddling around in a boat, we shot 27 of them in about 3 minutes but the hides were ruined since we used shotguns, lol.
    I've seen plenty of them swimming around while down in Leeville or Golden Meadow while fishing for redfish and speckeled trout.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Why do they do this? Is there a population control issue or something?
    I've heard nutria tastes good. It's prolly not much different from rabbit or squirrel.

Yes, they pay for Nutria.
    Armadillos and coyotes are a problem, too, but I don't think you can get paid for them.

Top Bottom