14 year old shot for brandishing knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Why would a "good shoot vs bad shoot" determination be pinned on whether the individual shot survives?

Shouldn't it instead be based solely on the lead up to the "shoot"? Say this kid died...it could still be a "good shoot" for obvious possible reasons. Say this kid lives...it could still be a "bad shoot" for obvious possible reasons.
    A good shoot is where you shoot 'em in tha leg or somethin, herp derp. Or shoot da knife outta his hand. Ya din hafta kill 'em!
    Srsly though, I'm sure D had a point, but I missed it too.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    A good shoot is where you shoot 'em in tha leg or somethin, herp derp. Or shoot da knife outta his hand. Ya din hafta kill 'em!
    Srsly though, I'm sure D had a point, but I missed it too.

Good Shoot. The officer did what was necessary.

You will always hear comments from the peanut gallery. The point being that the threat was neutralized, the kid isn't dead, and no one else was hurt. So it was a good shoot.

Edit-

To add, Sliguns will take any opportunity available to try and argue with me. Typically after someone has already disagreed with me.

Last edited:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I'd say drugs must have been involved.

I don't necessarily buy into the drug theory here. Other than possibly prescription meds the doctors push on kids that don't need them. We poke A LOT of fun at each other here, but we're adults and can take it. It's easier to say harsher things behind a computer screen. Kids are doing the same things we are, but on a different level. They don't have the maturity to have some restraint, nor the maturity to be able to let it roll off the shoulder. I believe the bullying played a large role in pushing this kid over the edge.

I'd be interested to know what he was arrested for before this.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    The real shitty part is having to show my 13yo the video and tell her to not stand around and watch if anything like this happens because you never know where that bullet will go. It could happen to any of our kids in this day and age.

I'm gonna tell my kid not to stand around and watch if something like this happens because you never know who the bat **** crazy kid will stab.

I trust that LEO sending off one round way more than I trust the crazy kid swinging 2 knives wildly.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I'm gonna tell my kid not to stand around and watch if something like this happens because you never know who the bat **** crazy kid will stab.

I trust that LEO sending off one round way more than I trust the crazy kid swinging 2 knives wildly.

That's what I was trying to get at as well. Too many things could have happened in this scenario to stand around trying to film it with a phone. With all the kids that had to be filming, not one of them can hold a phone steady to give us a good video?

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La

This is what confused the crap put of me in this entire video. These dumbass kids see another kid wildly swinging a knife at anybody within reach, and their first instinct is to pull out their phones and video it instead of getting the Hell out of Dodge? Seriously? If I saw my kid standing there in the video, they would get a swift kick in the ass when they got home for being that stupid.

O... Almost forgot... Cop puts down the threat? In a crowded area? With one shot? And no but the bad guy was injured?........ Good shot.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    My 13yo is an amazing shot, and knows where the guns are to be able to protect herself while she is home alone. My 3yo is constantly brought out to our land where we shoot. She knows what guns are, she knows what they do, and she knows not to touch them. I fully believe in raising my kids on guns and gun safety. Anytime a story like this comes up I tell my 13yo about it. I want her to know the world we live in is not a safe place and anything can happen at any moment.

Knowing what guns can do is a part of it. Last time my daughter came with me was to a hi-power clinic and a match the next day. I mainly wanted here to see why a rifle was so deadly in terms of range. Standing under a target with rounds coming through from 200-600 yds away has an affect on a person. It really illustrates why a 11yo girl or an 80yo man with a rifle can be a threat. One of the points being "no the police did have to shoot him" when people go into "they didn't have to shot him mode".

I know a kid that accidentally took a box cutter to school. He was using it for a school project and it ended up in his backpack and in the school. When he found it he took it up to the front office to turn it in, they called the cops, and expelled him! School policies are some of the dumbest in the world.

Zero tolerance policies are double edged. But I do see why admin would want them or not be trusted to make exceptions.

If this happened in a private school, it just goes to show that no matter what steps we take to protect our kids nowhere is 100% safe, and anything can happen anywhere.
    Yes.
    Private schools have the possibility to sweep more under the rug. In either case ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    One of the points being "no the police did have to shoot him" when people go into "they didn't have to shot him mode".

The reality is as citizens we can discuss, or point the finger all we want to, but we do not have to make these decisions, and we should not pass judgment on the men and women that put their life on the line daily with full knowledge that a choice like this will haunt them for the rest of their life (not necessarily emotionally, but persecution from the public, and civil suits). I am thankful for the LEO's that choose to protect (which is what this officer did, I fully believe he made the right call). I was unaware of the policy of the lone officer required to use a gun only. It's a hard decision for me to lean either way on, but I'm slightly biased having a child that age, and I think parents will view the situation differently than people without kids or LEO's. There is a problem that is becoming worse in our society where kids choose to pick up a weapon instead of choosing another way out.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm just saying, if I were anywhere and someone (regardless of age) is running around with two large knives, I would prefer for them to be dropped ASAP to prevent possible harm to everyone else.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm just saying, if I were anywhere and someone (regardless of age) is running around with two large knives, I would prefer for them to be dropped ASAP to prevent possible harm to everyone else.

Maybe you could use some of that disarming training you took. #cobrakai

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land

If it happened at my kid's school, I would hope for the same outcome. Luckily there was an officer at this school to prevent any harm to any students! So to all the liberals that say having armed guards at schools is a bad idea... This is a perfect example contrary to that statement!

aa5gp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2016
    Tickfaw, LA
    When my youngest son was bullied at school, I went and spoke with the teacher. The second time it happened, I went and spoke with the principal and advised him that no power on this earth would protect him from my rage if there was ever a third incident (an older troubled kid was jabbing him with a pencil in the schoolyard during recess). I meant it and there wasn't a third incident. That is the first and last time in my adult life I ever had to bully anyone but, I would go to any lengths to protect my family and I'm at a loss a to why this kid's father didn't do more to protect him.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    When my youngest son was bullied at school, I went and spoke with the teacher. The second time it happened, I went and spoke with the principal and advised him that no power on this earth would protect him from my rage if there was ever a third incident (an older troubled kid was jabbing him with a pencil in the schoolyard during recess). I meant it and there wasn't a third incident. That is the first and last time in my adult life I ever had to bully anyone but, I would go to any lengths to protect my family and I'm at a loss a to why this kid's father didn't do more to protect him.

This is exactly why I said the school and the parents failed him... IF the bullying claim is true.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    It probably still varies depending on what department. A lot of things make sense when you think about it in certain context or just extrapolate it out a bit. I think it is pretty fair to say good thing that kid didn't get a gun.

Maybe, but I think having the officer stationed at the school was a darn good reason that no one but the perp suffered any injury. I don't think the kid intended to hurt anyone, he would have started slashing a lot sooner, and had one or more particular individuals in mind to target. I think he was putting on a show to say "don't mess with me".

My cop wife never heard this, so you are correct, policy varies from dept to dept.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

I'm with you. Then go whip the bullies dads ass and tell him every time your kid bullies my kid I'm going to come back and whip your ass. Not that I would do that because it's illegal but it seems fair lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Good Shoot. The officer did what was necessary.

The point being that the threat was neutralized, the kid isn't dead, and no one else was hurt. So it was a good shoot.

Ok, now that makes much more sense compared what was posted earlier....and I agree

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom