16 and Pregnant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Seventh grade?!?!? Sweet puppy jesus, my kidlet's going into seventh grade. Don't tell me that. ;)

We do not watch teen pregnancy shows around here. Juno was off limits. It is not something to glamorize. Life's not the movies and getting the idea that it's a happy ever after ending isn't going to help.

Haven't watched 16 and Pregnant either. And listening to all of these shows makes me seriously reconsider having a television in her room. I think I'm going to check out her DVR material this afternoon. Every time I poke my head in, it's set on the Disney XD channel.

In some ways I give our twelve year old a long rope. In other ways, she's shut down pretty hard. I haven't literally gone in and looked at her DVR schedule lately because I trust her and have a good idea what she watches (the parental rated R lock works too), but I felt she was too young for Jr. High dances this year.

Last edited:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Seventh grade?!?!? Sweet puppy jesus, my kidlet's going into seventh grade. Don't tell me that. ;)

We do not watch teen pregnancy shows around here. Juno was off limits. It is not something to glamorize. Life's not the movies and getting the idea that it's a happy ever after ending isn't going to help.

Haven't watched 16 and Pregnant either. And listening to all of these shows makes me seriously reconsider having a television in her room. I think I'm going to check out her DVR material this afternoon. Every time I poke my head in, it's set on the Disney XD channel.

That's a new one. lol

Can't you restrict the channels she has?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    That's a new one. lol

Can't you restrict the channels she has?

Yes I can, but I haven't because some channels has shows during the day time she watches. I have restricted the types of shows and I'm comfortable with how well it does. 9PM network television has to be unlocked on occasion. :)

edit to add: for us, not for her. :p

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    That's the gods honest truth. I've been jonesing for a new baby for a few weeks now KNOWING I cannot successfully carry even if I did get pregnant.

It's bad juju once it gets hold of her. I'd probably just be good to go if I could snuggle a newborn for a while. :mamoru:

Take CloudStrife's advice and buy a puppy!

:p

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Cat there was a girl in Daisy's 8th grade class that was prego by a high school guy.

She was in 9th grade this year and we went to her ROTC banquet. There was one girl that was not in uniform. Guess why....

I guess there were a few prego girls in school this year.

Last edited:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Has she let you have your own drawer yet?

I've got the whole garage, I don't need no stinkin' drawer :rofl:

Charlie - No skeletons in the closet, she's just a typical female who thinks with emotions and not logic. She usually says **** like that just to **** me off anyways :D

-Dave

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Charlie - No skeletons in the closet, she's just a typical female who thinks with emotions and not logic. She usually says **** like that just to **** me off anyways :D

-Dave

Good to hear that. Her comments probably just mean she needs a little more *me time* before parenthood. Some women females just don't recognize that before laying it all on the line, so to speak.

I've always thought my veterinarian's advice could apply to people as well. He once told me it wasn't really a good idea to breed my females until the second or third heat because even with what maternal instinct there was, they were still really too young to take care of their puppies correctly at that age...

cb2250

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    I have seen first hand how immature some children are today, and they do not need to have children themselves. Two negatives do not make a positve.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Seventh grade?!?!? Haven't watched 16 and Pregnant either. And listening to all of these shows makes me seriously reconsider having a television in her room. I think I'm going to check out her DVR material this afternoon. Every time I poke my head in, it's set on the Disney XD channel.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that one of the BIG debates not long ago involved NICK, which is a channel oriented for 11 year olds + it actually had in the "plan" to show on air a teenager being pregnant while attending school etc etc etc etc.

If I remember reading the article correctly the role was first offered to Britney Spears sister when she ended up prego.

So yeah I would even "watch" the teenager channels since even those show sometimes a little more, I had that talk with my ex wife since her daughter is 11 and she is already starting with the posters all over the wall and comments of the guy is cute, etc etc etc. At the same time I understand that they interact completely diferent once they are in school with friends and a lot of what they learn is by association.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Take CloudStrife's advice and buy a puppy!

:p

I'd love one. Ours will be 14 this summer but she's awful snippy around other dogs. I'd hate to make her miserable. Have been thinking about fostering just to see how she does though.

You know, Bosco's comment made me think. I sounded harsh over the idea of girls getting pregnant. It happens. And that doesn't make them bad. Sometimes it's hormones and mistakes. Adolescence is a hard journey to make. Maybe there needs to be a disclaimer but personally, I've been operating under the assumption we're talking about a very specific type of individual here and not the entire teen girl population. :)

Not sure if that needed to be said or not because I'm sure we have some Daddies here who have dealt, or are dealing with this issue. Regular members or lurkers.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that one of the BIG debates not long ago involved NICK, which is a channel oriented for 11 year olds + it actually had in the "plan" to show on air a teenager being pregnant while attending school etc etc etc etc.

If I remember reading the article correctly the role was first offered to Britney Spears sister when she ended up prego.

So yeah I would even "watch" the teenager channels since even those show sometimes a little more, I had that talk with my ex wife since her daughter is 11 and she is already starting with the posters all over the wall and comments of the guy is cute, etc etc etc. At the same time I understand that they interact completely diferent once they are in school with friends and a lot of what they learn is by association.

She watches tv in the living room too. I don't recall ever hearing about that show.

So far I've kept my ear to the ground on the channels she likes to watch, and just set a restriction on shows with certain subject matter and ratings. But this talk has made me think more about it. I wasn't being facetious when I said I wonder if it's a good idea to have a TV in her room. I had no idea 16 and Pregnant existed. I didn't *think* she was interested in Jersey Shore and so forth. And those shows aren't trapped by the filter restrictions necessarily.

However, I also said I give her some rope and have my thumb on her in other ways. She's not showing an interest boys (announcing them as dumb) but is a definite Team Edward fan. So how badly do I want to flip out if she IS watching a reality tv show? Choose your battles, learn when it's important and when it might not be.

Parenting. It's an evolving process. This discussion really has made me think today.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Cat: Watch out... I dated this one chick who 'lost it' at 11.

She wasn't badly/apparently screwed up in the head ether.

I recall the first time a 1st date resulted in me being asked if I had kids.

I was 19 IIRC. Shocked me... but since then it's become a common question ether way... and I feel kinda odd at my age being one of the few without ether kids or a divorce. (And I'm still in my 20's for a couple years)

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I have not watched that show more than a few seconds when changing channels. So let me propose this question though, what are the chances lack of sex education has led them into being pregnant? It seems these days people are just avoiding the issue sex happens. I would think that a possible increase in possible control methods and education could help.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Cat....our oldest is on a very short leash, prob a bit too short, but you have to be very careful these days......too many sickos out there. She does not have a tv in her room, and I watch her internet habbits very closely. Same for our 7 year old.......

We are allowing more freedom this year with the oldest one since she is 13 and going to a high school next year even though she will be in 8th grade.

Flametrix..............You know there is an advantage to Catholic Schools........not saying that Catholic girls don't get preggers or sleep around, but you sure don't see them on campus!!!

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    ROFL. We're a bit of the opposite. She has a TV in her room and it does have a restriction lock on it, but if she's spent two hours on the internet in the last month, I'd say that's pushing it and it was only last week because I let her spend the night at my fathers. (A super rare occurrence)

It'll probably be another month before she is able to spend any time on the internet at all simply because that's just how often we let her.

Last edited:

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I have a 12 yr old daughter. She just hit junior high this year and started watching all this teen Disney channel garbage. Eventually she starting acting like those little brats. Now her tv is restricted to CSPAN and the Weather Channel. ;)

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    ROFLMAO.

CSPAN. I like that. Might have to try that one next time she's grounded. Don't say a word, just block all her TV channels except CSPAN and wait until she comes asking about it.

Top Bottom