.223 FBI load?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    "Factory seconds" from Federal. Looks like soft tip ammo and I figured it would make a decent pig load for the money. Supposedly they were refused by the Feds due to "accuracy issues". I shot a box through one of my HBAR carbines that happens to be zero'd to XM855 and all 20 were dead on at 100 with no strays. Wondering if anybody has tried them, heard anything else about them, and why they are labeled XM556 and head stamped .223 Remmy. I would specifically like to know more about the projectile. I was shooting in sand hoping to recover at least one, but thousands of rounds were expended there that Saturday and I didn't find anything close.
    Anyway, I got a substantial bulk of the stuff because it was cheap and hoping it will make for good hunting ammo.
    Any info is appreciated.

40cc0f0b568854ac5977fb0e7f984313.jpg
    59f9ceb2f0ad65e97d65f9d66d65c94d.jpg

TheFinalWizard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2014
    Louisiana
    Sounds like you already ran the test... If it shoots well, it shoots well, so you're good to go.

People get all wrapped up about the idea of federal or military contracts and what they use or don't; it really doesn't matter. Those contracts often change based on relationships or a newer thing coming out. The decisions of those organizations don't hold any significant weight. Often times the research and thought you would expect to go into those decisions, really doesn't to the extent it should. I wouldn't let it effect your decision making process, put it to a test your happy with and if it passes, it passes.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sounds like you already ran the test... If it shoots well, it shoots well, so you're good to go.

People get all wrapped up about the idea of federal or military contracts and what they use or don't; it really doesn't matter. Those contracts often change based on relationships or a newer thing coming out. The decisions of those organizations don't hold any significant weight. Often times the research and thought you would expect to go into those decisions, really doesn't to the extent it should. I wouldn't let it effect your decision making process, put it to a test your happy with and if it passes, it passes.

Do you know any group that has more thorough ammunition testing than the US LEA/Military?

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Sometimes distributers make up stories to move slow moving merchandise. For liability reasons American ammo dealers don't sell 2nd's in ammo. It is usually destroyed. The box says it is tactical so there should be no problems with it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Use a bullet puller, pliers or vise.

Looks like the meplats are flattened more than usual and not all the same. It is hard to tell in the pic.
    Kinda wanna see what they look like after hitting meat. They are soft tips.
    This is all I know about them:
    Manufactured by Federal Cartridge Company under contract for the Dept. of Homeland Security, the XM556FBIT3M is a 62 grain Tactical Bonded bullet in boxes of 20 rounds on 2 10rd Stripper Clips. This ammo is classified as *Factory Seconds* by Federal Cartridge Company because we were told that it failed the accuracy requirements by .1 inch. It has crimped primers and sealant around the projectile. It is head-stamped *FC15 223 REM*. This limited supply is available for purchase until it is gone.

Crimped primer like 5.56x45, but head stamped .223

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    they are all over the internet. I think some individual head stamped the casings wrong on the order for the brass so they went ahead and downloaded the casings to 223 specs. If you search the model # u come up with 556 rounds not 223.

Top Bottom