.22lr alternative similiar to Remmington 700

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Looking for a .22lr alternative to a Remington 700 so I can practice my trigger squeeze follow through etc. I want to start shooting longer ranges and need to get the basics down before I transition.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Remington makes or made a single shot bolt gun in 22lr. I forget the model, but they were used, once upon a time, at every Boy Scout camp across the country. It's a well made rifle that is surprisingly heavy for what it is. Hopefully someone can chip in with the specifics. I don't think it's rigged for optics and its late so I'm not digging mine out of the safe right now.

Also, you shouldn't have any trouble finding an eastern bloc training rifle. They were quite plentiful before the crazy if you looked around a bit. Again, it's a training rifle, so it's perfect for what you want to do.

Also.....I don't know if you've noticed that 22lr ammo is rather difficult to acquire right now. However, you shouldn't have any issues getting 17hmr ammo. The only constant ive seen in the local shops over the last couple months is that 17hmr is on the shelf. Savage, marlin, & CZ all make excellent bolt guns in 17hmr. Also, you'll be able to stretch the range easier with the 17 versus the 22lr.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    The remington 40x is a model 700 action with a rimfire bolt. I doubt they still make the 40x rimfire, but you can find them on gb for 4-500 bucks. They are a super accurate target rifle. THe model 37 is the predecesor to the 40x.

The lesser grade remingtons refered to in an earlier post are the 513's.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    67 Winchester Up for TRADE

I hear all of you:}

I like my Remington 552 Speedmaster
    Old School Tactical Rifle:}

28galygnwaljpajl4cis.jpg

Oh then there's always my Winchester Model 67 too...:}

Which I would trade for an LCP:}

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...del-67-22-rifle&highlight=winchester+model+67

de4v8ysl3cxh9js6omw.jpg

mqixoe45c376i4bv3w8n.jpg

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    What I suggest is a rifle the you can swap between scope and irons easily. You will not beat a Kimber 82G from the CMP for the money and out of the box suitability. It is a 3P gun that you can add a scope & bipod to easily.

It is not a benchrest gun. I say that because some guys buy then for that & complain it is not set up for BR. Well duh it is a 3P gun.

Any .22 is better than no .22lr though - if you can get ammo right now. Don't get too wrapped up in the dimensions ergonomically. A Marlin 60 or a 10/22 will do a lot for you.

An air rifle is good to. Dry fire is good too.

PM me if you want to check out mine.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Remington makes or made a single shot bolt gun in 22lr. I forget the model, but they were used, once upon a time, at every Boy Scout camp across the country. It's a well made rifle that is surprisingly heavy for what it is. Hopefully someone can chip in with the specifics.........

I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to, but this is my Remington model 580 single shot I bought when I was high school around '72 I think. The scope is just a no name Japanese 4x. I havent shot it in years. At some point I stripped the stock and put an oil finish on. I liked it better.... :)

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Yup.....thats it.

I stii use mine all the time.....from shooting cans in the backyard with super calibre's, to busting rats in the barn with rat shot.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    FUnny, this weekend I picked up a Remington 37 and Anschutz 54 match in like new condition. I am selling the Anschutz on another board, but if your interested, pm me.

BTW, if your going to practice F class or MRP with this gun, dont get the 513, get a 37/40x or anschutz, they are heavier like your 700 is.

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Try a Remington 541. They come in sporter and heavy bbl configurations. I have one of the 541-T variations and really like it for 22 practice with a full size adult rifle.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    if you can find a CZ 452 American or or Varmint, just may need to update the trigger with one of the kits. or if you want to go high end then Anschutz Model 64 MPR.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Hebert's has a nice CZ 453 American. It was like $539 I think may have been $439.... It was sweet. I was looking for a bolt action .22 to do the same thing as you are. I decided to go with a nice .17 heavy barrel. Ammo is abundant. Very accurate. And it came with an adjustable trigger so I could match it to my 700's trigger.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    CZ all the way for an affordable, extremely accurate bolt action rimfire. I have the pleasure of owning a 452 Lux and a 455 Varmint, both of which are tac-drivers.

If you want to spend a little more look for a 455 Precision Trainer with the manners stock. Either Bowies or Jims has one IIRC.

Top Bottom