22LR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    I am looking for a decent auto 22LR pistol to play around with. I am no gun guru so bear with me cause I am learning more. I shot a Ruger that my uncle had and it felt good. I looked at a S&W 22A and a Ruger tapered barrel. The Ruger was much lighter which I liked but I would rather the bull barrel in the Ruger. Is there another pistol that is as light as the Ruger?

Phoenix 6.0

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I love my browning buckmark. chose it over the ruger cause i like the simplicity of it, and the stock trigger was supposed to be better

and there are a few different models of the ruger and buckmarks with different barrels and finishes. i got my buckmark at academy, think they have rugers also/

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    The buckmark is another nice 22 pistol i own a ruger mark 3 bull barrel and the buckmark hunter bull barrel both are really nice shooters the buckmark is a lot easier to break down it was a learning experience with the ruger. So if your anal about cleaning the weapon after every shooting trip id say check out the browning instead.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have an assload of rounds through my MKII without breaking it down and absolutely love that gun. Now I'm hoping to take my Colt Woodsman out next week and it may change things.

Rereading your post I realize what I posted did not help in the least bit. My bull barrel Ruger is not very light. If a light gun is what your after you would want the pencil barrel.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Ruger MKI - MKII - MKIII
    gunapprasial002-1.jpg

My MKIII now wears a Millette SP2 reddot and my MKII is destined for a Pac-lite upper.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Ruger MKI - MKII - MKIII
    gunapprasial002-1.jpg

My MKIII now wears a Millette SP2 reddot and my MKII is destined for a Pac-lite upper.

Awesome guns I'm hoping to grow my collection of the Mk series. Are the II and III mags interchangeable? I remember hearing Mk I's were different.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Thinking about the S&W 617 4" 10 shot, looks like a keeper

Those are simply awesome revolvers, I could never get rid of my 6" and I will soon own a 4", but for a semi-auto I have to suggest a ruger mark III. Just do your self a favor and watch a few good you tube videos about taking it apart/ putting it back together more specifically... Its way easier than most will lead you to believe if you learn the right way from the start.

CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Yeah the tapered barrel is what I looked at and it was definitely lighter than the S&W. I like the size of the ruger as well compared to S&W and Barretta. Thanks. I'm on the look out for one.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Buckmark is good. I've had one for twenty years at least. It's been a good trouble free, accurate, reliable, semi automatic 22LR. The Ruger's good from what I've been told. I'd avoid the Sig Sauer Mosquito like it was on fire. I've never heard anything good about that one. The Walther and and the S&W both have seemed to work well from what I've been told.

Dave

marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    I had the same issue a few months ago. I got the bersa 22 thunder and as long as you load the cci mini mags its great. I put some 22 wildcats in it when I first got it, a few ftf but after I put the good stuff it I haven't had to much of a problem. Overall great shooter, very happy with it.
    Bersa%20Thunder%2022-500x500.jpg

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Awesome guns I'm hoping to grow my collection of the Mk series. Are the II and III mags interchangeable? I remember hearing Mk I's were different.

No . . . Yes . . . kinda but . . .

Here goes. Most everyone with a MKIII does a LCI replacement, bushing job and magazine disconnect job.
    Clark Custom Gunworks will do the work or sell you what you need or google SamLam Bushing and something should pop up.
    There is a hook on the MKIII mags and a hook on the back of the trigger that needs to be modded for a true drop free mag release.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Ruger Mark III 22/45 would be pretty cheap. The other thing about the Rugers is the aftermarket support for them. IMO, they are about the only choice.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've had my 22/45 target for a while and probably have well over 20k rounds through it.

I love it.

I've heard good things about the sr22 as well.

WillShoot

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Slidell, LA
    I am in a similar situation and also looking for a .22 pistol. I've looked at Neos U22, S&W 22A, Buckmark, saw Ruger MarkIII but didn't try it.

Right now leaning towards S&W M&P 22, because I am eyeing the .40 version and thinking to buy that. Not sure if it makes sense to get the same style for training, as I know you can get a 9mm conversion to work on both the fullsize and the compact version of the MP40. None of the local ranges got .40 but I did hold MP40 in Academy and it felt good in my hands with the default medium grip. The price tag is high locally ($650) so I might buy online. Nobody carries the .22 version so I'll have to buy online, which is about $350+FFL, slightly higher cost. The question is: does it make sense to buy the fullsize .22 M&P, if I buy the MP40c (compact version)? If it won't help much from training perspective, I'd probably get a Ruger Mark III which is supposedly very accurate out of the box.

I am new to guns and basically blank and looking to buy my first pistol, likely to be a .22 then move to .40 with a 9mm conversion. Shot friend's Glock 23/27 with 9mm kit last week, prefer the 23 trigger and grip over 27, even though I have small/medium hands.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I am in a similar situation and also looking for a .22 pistol. I've looked at Neos U22, S&W 22A, Buckmark, saw Ruger MarkIII but didn't try it.

Right now leaning towards S&W M&P 22, because I am eyeing the .40 version and thinking to buy that. Not sure if it makes sense to get the same style for training, as I know you can get a 9mm conversion to work on both the fullsize and the compact version of the MP40. None of the local ranges got .40 but I did hold MP40 in Academy and it felt good in my hands with the default medium grip. The price tag is high locally ($650) so I might buy online. Nobody carries the .22 version so I'll have to buy online, which is about $350+FFL, slightly higher cost. The question is: does it make sense to buy the fullsize .22 M&P, if I buy the MP40c (compact version)? If it won't help much from training perspective, I'd probably get a Ruger Mark III which is supposedly very accurate out of the box.

I am new to guns and basically blank and looking to buy my first pistol, likely to be a .22 then move to .40 with a 9mm conversion. Shot friend's Glock 23/27 with 9mm kit last week, prefer the 23 trigger and grip over 27, even though I have small/medium hands.

I think 22 trainer makes sense, especially if your are new to handguns. Trigger time is trigger time and perfecting the fundamentals is the first step in being a good shooter.

With that said I'm sure many here will disagree with that.

Top Bottom