45 colt or 44 special

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    For a few years, I've had an itch for a Blackhawk in 45 colt. I've decided it's time to pick one up. This is where the complication starts. Lol. I haven't been able to find a Blackhawk in this caliber. Secondly, I was planning to buy a couple hundred rounds, shoot them, and just reload the cases. I want the 45 colt just to plink with on occasion, and don't plan to stock pile ammo for it...just shoot a few, load a few. However, I can't seem to find any standard load ammo in stock anywhere...midway, Natchez, all the local shops, cabelas...out! Midway and natchez didnt have the dies either. So now I'm looking around for dies, cases and bullet availability.

A friend was saying I should look at the 44spl. So I've been doing a little research on it. I walked into a local gun store, the other day, and there it was...a stainless 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 44spl. So now I'm thinking about the 44spl. I know it won't throw as heavy a bullet as the 45colt, and I know the 45 can be loaded up to 44mag levels, but I'm not looking to load it that hot. I know 44spl isn't common either. I guess I'll have to check into component availability for this one.

So, I'm looking for some input from those of you with experience of either. What do you like? Why? Pro's, cons, etc

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    i went through this several years back. i like that the 44spl is very accurate and can dev mild loads to shot. i use laser cast 200 and 240 gr bullets http://www.laser-cast.com/44Cal.html. i use starline brass which midway has in stock http://www.midwayusa.com/product/941455237/starline-reloading-brass-44-special. i use alliant 2400 for full power loads and IMR trial boss for reduced loads with the lasercast.
    midway also has the 45 colt brass from starline in stock as well. you can enjoy either one but then you have to get a lever gun to go along with it

deadduck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    I have never fired a .44 special, so I can't comment on it at all. But I sure like .45 Colt. In fact I just yesterday picked up a New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt with the 7.5 in barrel. Man, what a soft shooter. Mine was made in 1975 best that I can tell, has a very crisp trigger, and after a few rounds seems like it will be very accurate. I haven't had that much trouble finding .45 Colt locally. In fact, its been in stock around here when 9mm and 45 ACP were not. .45 also can be loaded from light cowboy loads to heavy hunting loads that rival the .44 Mag in a Blackhawk.

But I'm sure the .44spl is nice too.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I don't have the .44 special, but I do have the blackhawk in 45LC and the super blawk hawk .44 mag. Both are great shooting guns, I don't think you would go wrong with either one. I sometimes shoot specials in the .44 mag, but found a light load with Hornady SWCHP swedged bullets that are great and low recoil. In my opinion, its just shooters preference.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    You should get one of each and then sell off the one you don't care for or keep em both or sell em both, yeah somthin like dat

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I don't reload and I don't have any experience with 44 special but I love 45 colt. Something about the recoil that I love. A very smooth light shove. And out of a rifle it's barely noticeable but still makes big holes!

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I have a vaquero in .44 mag. Unless you just really want a .45 Long colt I would suggest a .44 mag. You can shoot either special or mag. You use the same dies and components to reload (Except the brass of course). Components and loaded ammo are easily available. The .44 special is a very accurate round and fun to shoot. I have owned several .44 specials over the past 40 years and love them. I now have 3 .44 magnums. Its like why buy a .38 special when you can have a .357 and shoot either cartridge?

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'm another vote for the 45 colt. I've loaded some hot and some mild and really enjoy shooting them. Taffin and Linebaugh have some good articles on the 45 too. Having said that I'm also shopping for a 44 sp to add to the tool box. I've already got the dies, molds and brass. You cant go wrong either way. The Blackhawk is well made and fun to shoot. Reloading cost difference will be minimal, just slightly in favor of the 44.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i had a super blackhawk in .44mag for years. a great gun you can load as hot as you can handle, or soft enough to have a small kid shoot it.

but the .45 colt is just as versatile, except for 1 point: the .45colt can be loaded more efficiently with black powder.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    one item to add, if you plan to reload get carbide die but you will still to utilize case lube for sizing.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'd go ahead and get a 44Mag. The grip frame is a little larger and thus more comfortable in most hands. Plus, the grip frame is steel instead of alloy on the blackhawk (unless you go Stainless). You can load the 44 mag from mild to wild. Get a couple 100 new cases and start loading from the get go. I've fired thousands of 240 grain cast bullets in 44 mag cases with 8 gr of Unique. Very mild recoil and a lot of fun to shoot. There are many other powders that will do the same thing.
    45 colt in a Blackhawk can be loaded up to approach 44 mag performance but I fell better about the strength of 44 mag brass. Plus with full power loads, that larger grip frame on the 44 mag will feel welcome.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I like the .45 Colt. Partly nostalgia and the fact you can sling a heavy bullet at good speed without the pressure that .44 Mag does it. .44 Mag is a simpler way to do it though. Lots of off the shelf options. .44 Special is a great round and can be loaded up too.....

John Linebaugh makes a living off the .45 Colt, but he knows what he is doing/talking about.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=12
    http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

If you are looking, I have a 25-13 Mountain Gun (.45 Colt) in the for sale in the classifieds section.

housecat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Knightdale, Noth Carolina
    I would go for the 44 spl (have two already). You can get anything from a concealable sized to a full sized gun. In my area, there are more cast bullet options in 44 spl than for a 45 Colt, in case you don't cast your own. That being said, I am in the process of replacing a Colt New Service that was taken in a burglary. I'd rather buy another one than sell my mold, .454 sizer, and all the cast bullets I have on hand, plus I really liked the gun. So my real thought is that you can't go wrong with either caliber.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    If you can get the 44 special blackhawk jump on it. If it is the one I'm thinking of it is built on the smaller old model flat top 357 mag frame and cylinder size. Thats why it is a 44 special and not a 44 magnum. Years ago guys like Skeeter Skelton would pay a gunsmith to convert an old model flat top 357 mag to 44 special and write stories about how nice a gun it made. Ruger finally figured out if they did it they could sell a bunch, If you dont want it and I had some money I would take it. Ammo supply should start getting better...buy the gun and worry about ammo later.

I went to Lipsey's site and the 44 special is the old Flat Top frame, they may not make these for long so get it now.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If you can get the 44 special blackhawk jump on it. If it is the one I'm thinking of it is built on the smaller old model flat top 357 mag frame and cylinder size. Thats why it is a 44 special and not a 44 magnum. Years ago guys like Skeeter Skelton would pay a gunsmith to convert an old model flat top 357 mag to 44 special and write stories about how nice a gun it made. Ruger finally figured out if they did it they could sell a bunch, If you dont want it and I had some money I would take it. Ammo supply should start getting better...buy the gun and worry about ammo later.

I went to Lipsey's site and the 44 special is the old Flat Top frame, they may not make these for long so get it now.

Blackhawk frames are the same structure wise. Guys like Linebaugh will take any Blackhawk that's not a new model Vaquero and rig it out to shoot .500 Linebaugh if you so desire. .44 Mag is not a problem for those guns.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Someone here was selling a Uberti with cylinders for 45 colt and acp IIRC. It was a nice looking gun for not alot of coin. You can do alot with the ability to load either, esp if you have another 45 auto. It gives you more options.

Revolvergeek

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    It really boils down to what you think that you will do the most with it. .45 Colt in a Blackhawk can be loaded to very heavy levels and makes a superb hunting round. .44 Spl can be loaded pretty hot, but can't handle as heavy a weight bullet well as a .45 colt. .44 Spl works very well and shoots quite accurately when loaded down very lightly for a target or lower recoil defense round while still throwing a pretty large and heavy bullet.

Yes, you can shoot .44 spls in a .44 mag, but in *most* cases you are carrying around a much larger and heavier revolver than you need to. There is a big difference in weight between a Super Blackhawk .44 mag and a New Model Flat Top .44 spl, particularly if you are going to wear it on your hip all day long, and a lesser but still noticeable difference from between a S&W 29 versus a 21 or 24.

Personally, I shoot way more .44 spl than .44 mag, and I don't even own a .45 colt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom