4x4 trails ??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    uh, dual ford 8.8 posi on demand, ?? with 3.55s second strongest rear next to the Ford 9" why is that not 4x4?

Since when is a 9" the first strongest? ever heard of a D60, 14bolt(FF), rockwell?

Cant Argue with the F/R Solid axles but I'm not planning on Rock crawling.

You have this backwards, IFS tends to work better for crawling/off camber situations, with proper ground clearance. SFA/SRA tend to be stronger, are cheaper, and are easier for the average joe to work on.

a Real Transfer Case ( someone educate me on this? ) I have dual Ford 8.8 diffs between mine.

You stated that yours is AWD, and now that I think about it, I thought they were 4wd. AWD vehicles do not have a 2 speed transfer case, they use a open type center differential to send power to the front and rear differentials, others use a viscous coupling. A true 4wd vehicle has a selectable, Dual range HI/LO (minimum) transfer case that will send power to both the front and rear differentials equally when engaged. The AWD setup sends power to the route of least resistance, like an open differential.

Recovery points ( I have 6, 3 front and 3 rear all from my old race cars and two of the factory)

Self Recovery Equipment ( does my 12K pound winch mounted on my receiver hitch count? along with tow straps, and come along count?

Easily Upgradeable/Replaceable Axles (Why Would the Explorer not be?)

I am not bashing your vehicle, I just saw some common misconceptions.

Last edited:

RovingDisco

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Rocket City, Alabama
    Oooh This is going to be fun.

uh, dual ford 8.8 posi on demand, ?? with 3.55s second strongest rear next to the Ford 9" why is that not 4x4?
    Elaborate?

Solid Axles are beneficial in more than just rock crawling. Another added benefit from having a solid axle front and rear is the lack of moving parts compared to an IFS system. Adding additional lift to my coiled solid axle rover was considerably easier than the IFS platform as well.

a Real Transfer Case ( someone educate me on this? ) I have dual Ford 8.8 diffs between mine.
    The transfer case is what is connected to your transmission to give your explorer 4wd. Does your nice ford have a knob or button that switches it into 4wd and does it go into low range (lower transfer case gears)? The nice thing about real 4x4s is having an actual lever to engage 4wd versus having an electric actuator to engage the transfer case into 4wd.

Recovery points ( I have 6, 3 front and 3 rear all from my old race cars and two of the factory)
    Very few factory recovery points are up to snuff for hauling a vehicle off an obstacle or a mud pit. Most factory recovery points are meant to just tie down a vehicle to haul around.

Self Recovery Equipment ( does my 12K pound winch mounted on my receiver hitch count? along with tow straps, and come along count?
    Do you have a receiver hitch in the front and rear of your explorer? That's about the only way those are useful in an offroad situation. Also do you really want to have to put the winch into the receiver hitch in an off camber situation?

My guess is that you have axles that are not easily removed. My discovery's axles are held in with grade 12.9 screws that can be easily removed if (when) a axle sheers on the trail the actual axle shaft can be replaced in 10 minutes (3 minutes if I have steel wheels)

You should head over to this forum if you want to "mod" out your explorer and plan on adding RTTs and a camping trailer
    www.expeditionportal.com

Last edited:

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge

I do have 3, settings for 4WD as this is not a "full time AWD", I have 4x4 low, 4x4 high, and 4x4 Auto it is electric like the Raptor.

And as far as the Posi the Ford 8.8 Traction Lock is solid, As Proven by #3800 Mustangs running, 9-10 second quarter mile passes and running 1.5 60 fts.

I appreciate the input especially about the Link to the Posi write up. What else?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Like this raptor from this past weekend?

13c6fb47.jpg

:mamoru:

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge

I do have 3, settings for 4WD as this is not a "full time AWD", I have 4x4 low, 4x4 high, and 4x4 Auto it is electric like the Raptor.

And as far as the Posi the Ford 8.8 Traction Lock is solid, As Proven by #3800 Mustangs running, 9-10 second quarter mile passes and running 1.5 60 fts.

I appreciate the input especially about the Link to the Posi write up. What else?

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Dang you 4WD guys are a bunch of Evil little men!!! ;-) BAH! even the Best Off Road Vehicles on the planet get High Centered!! Take for instance my John Deer 4440!! Had to pull it out with my John Deer 4020 whom then got stuck and both had to be pulled out with my 2wd Explorer :-P
    Take that bitches!!!!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    as themcfarland.. I am everywhere..

I am on the guppy boards too, I never post.. been on a long time..

Also on Louisianaoffroad.com mod the for sale section

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA

No offense meant, but please educate yourself on what you have before comparing it to others. I will try to help.
    What is a " dual ford 8.8 posi on demand, ?? with 3.55s second strongest rear next to the Ford 9" why is that not 4x4?"? Yes, the 8.8 is a decent axle for what it is, but is a long ways from being considered a "strong" axle when compared to 1 ton+ offerings. The factory lsd is marginal at best for offroad. Comparing offroad use of a LSD and strip use of the same is worse than apples to oranges. The 8.8 can be somewhat easily upgraded , see: super 88 kit and ARB locker.
    Although not really durable, when you keep the small tires, IFS is useable on mild trails, you just cant get the travel out of a stock setup easily that you can with solid axles.
    No idea how strong your transfer case is, depends on what you are comparing it to. I have no idea how you can have "dual Ford 8.8 diffs between mine." or what that is and I am sure you dont either. If you are going to try and use the lingo, learn what it is. You cannot have dual 8.8 diffs on an explorer without some MAJOR custom work and a very fat wallet and even then they would not be between anything to do with your transfer case.
    Factory recovery points are rarely adequate for trail use, you need something that holds the strap and cannot allow it to slip off.
    The receiver mounted winch is only better than no winch in a offroad situation and many times it will hinder you more than help you due to its extra overhang and not being able to put it in the receiver because it is buried or against something.

Again, no offense meant here, but if you want to learn to use your exploder and are not afraid to get scratches and dings on it, there are some local trails that are ran sometimes and many people willing to help you and teach you how to use your 4wd.
    Example: July 15th there is a la4x4 trail ride at easleyville (greensburg, la area) which has mild to moderate trails that are mostly stock friendly as long as it isnt wet and anything that is difficult has a bypass. I will warn you that if you are on no lift and street tires, it will be very challenging and you will come out with some cosmetic damage. That is the only easy thing I can think of in the near future. DO not waste your time or effort bringing a stockish explorer to sicily island, you will be limited to the roads only.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Like edman said, educate yourself on what is actually under your rig.

you stated you have AWD:

Why? Same Ground clearance, same weight, more power, AWD.. I really don't see a need to turn this into another 9mm vs .45 debate...

I have never considered an explorer a serious wheeling rig and have never spent much time looking at it, so I took your word on it and said AWD ≠ 4x4. It does turn out you have a dual range transfer case so that is a good thing. The whole electronic vs direct linkage is a debate for another time. I will tell you that my new daily driver has a knob and my play rig has a stick.

I do have 3, settings for 4WD as this is not a "full time AWD", I have 4x4 low, 4x4 high, and 4x4 Auto it is electric like the Raptor just about all new 4x4s.

Right here you are talking about two different things, 'Posi', which is a limited slip setup, and 'Traction Lock' which is a locker, either mechanical or selectable. It is still a 1/2 ton axle, and may be acceptable when turning stock size tires with a stock power plant. Put some big meats, get your gearing lower and/or your power up and see how they handle the stress. Street/strip use under a car is a completely different scenario to an axle than the high torque strains applied off road. Also, what is a 1.5 60fts? 1.5sec 0-60time?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I say take it out and have fun. Just be carefull and know you're limitations. I just traded my Wrangler 4x4 in on a Frontier pro 4x and even though the new Nissan has allot of cool features I know I am much more limited than I was in my Jeep off road.
    In case anyone is wondering....I got tired of the negatives that come with having a jeep as a daily driver. But it had it's fun times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom